Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Saad Assaf new offerings

Hi Everyone,

I was just checking ETGB's website looking for any new offerings from Saad Assaf and there weren't any. So I checked Saad Assaf's website directly and voila they have several. I see a few that I wouldn't mind having. You'll notice that they have one named Tinkerbell but it's not the same as my Tinkerbell. At the time I was conversing with them about my bulb they said they wouldn't be releasing it but there was another (they sent me the picture) and it's this bulb that they have released. They said they liked my name Tinkerbell and asked if it was OK if they used it for a different bulb and of course I said OK after all, these where their bulbs. Well, they have used the name on the one that they sent me a picture of and it's not the same as my Tinkerbell. Just wanted you all to know incase you saw the name Tinkerbell and thought you'd be getting one like mine.

Anyway, I see several that I would buy if they become available through ETGBs as they usually are.

It's been awhile since they've come up with any blockbusters and I think they may have a few...what do you all think and which ones do you like?? Hard to beat Ruby Star and Opal Star though..,

I suppose I should change my bulbs name but I kind of wish they had spelled theirs with an "e" on the end. "Tinkerbelle" Oh well....

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Saad Assaf

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 21:56

Comments (43)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

Some of those are stunning! I wonder if they will be available this season? - J

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jodi,

Maybe just the ones with names or maybe they are all named and the names just got chopped off from the picture. I think I see 3 or 4 that I might like..
    In the past if I'm not mistaken, Easy to Grow Bulbs has been their exclusive distibutor even though you now see their earlier releases for sale on EBay so I guess we should watch ETBGs for now!

It just never ends does it, all these temptation?!

:-)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna, I know! Just when I put the brakes on along come Saad Assaf with some really beautiful offerings. I liked most of the ones that were green with red markings -just something about them. and you?
    -J

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Wow, some of those look real nice. I was thinking they really needed some more offerings in their line up and i guess here they are.

I don't think they will be available for this season as orders for this season are already in and will be shipping shortly so it would be rather short notice. I won't complain if they are though.

Update: I asked them and they confirmed they won't be available commerically this season. :(

This post was edited by AuntJemima on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 11:42

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I emailed Kathleen at EasytoGrowBulbs this morning regarding the availability of some of the new Saad Assaf bulbs and she indicated that they should be getting some of them but not all. So far she thinks they should have Lime Flair, Love Triangle, Moon Scene, Pink Flush and Pink Star. Not knowing which one Pink Flush is I would say that Lime Flair and Moon Scene might be what I would be interested in. I also admired a couple of the others but they weren't named...she said a couple of weeks and they might be listed on their website!

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Donna,

Great news - I think :)

-J

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

I guess "not available commercially" was code for, not for you. lol

But this is good news, getting our mitts on them a year early!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

AJ....I had also asked about the availability of these to distributors and they said that they would be available next year. Guess ETGB has an exclusive arrangement with them.
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again,

Kathleen from EasytoGrowBulbs did indicate that they will have "small quantities" of the bulbs I listed above so yes, I guess we'd better keep checking their website...might have to be a daily thing.

She also said they will have a pre-planted amaryllis gift featuring the "new" Tinkerbell and another which she didn't name...of course pre-planted means higher prices for dirt and pot...

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

We are so in trouble!
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

I know!! And the dust hasn't even settled from the Komoriya orders!! One thing though, I don't "think" I'll be ordering anything from Royal Colors this year unless they come up with some fancy cybisters...one less thing to obsess about...

;-)

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

For a brief while yesterday, EasyToGrowBulbs had their Saad Assaf bulbs on their web site. They were offering Tinkerbell, Lime Flair, Pink Star, Pink Flush, Love Triangle and Moon Scene. They did not have any pictures to accompany them which may be why they took them down.
    In the brief time they were up, I was able to order them for $11.75 each which is a great deal I think. More to think about.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Maida,

I saw them listed yesterday also but was waiting for pictures! Then as you say, they took them off their website! I wanted to be sure about the two Pink varieties as I may only want one. Did you get one of each? Good for you! I'm thinking LIme Flair, Moon Scene, and Tinkerbell as well as maybe one of the pinks. I kind of liked Glee also but I guess that one isn't being offered this year...

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Donna,
    I ordered all but Pink Flair. I am also waiting for a picture of it before I buy it.
    Maida

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Ok - they're back up on ETGB. I ordered Tinkerbell, Lime Flair and Moon Scene. This is truly the most enabling forum ever :)
    -J

Original Author
    10 years ago

Really confusing...I was putting together an order and when I went to add Lime Flair to my cart it was gone.. it had been listed 10 minutes earlier!! This morning I wake up and Moon Scene is gone but it still shows in my cart! I wonder what is going on? Then they added Pink Star, but I like Pink Flair better. So my order is on hold because I didn't want to have to try to add to it later and end up paying more postage, but I may have to....

I hate to bother Kathleen again as I don't want to be a pest but I may have to...I'll have to wait until everybody gets up in California...:-)

Donna

..and of course I want a Tinkerbell too...

• msrohud
    10 years ago

Donna & all,

Put the name of the variety in the search box and it will come up so you can order it! I was getting frustrated too and thought maybe this would work and it did.

Wanted to share since I lurk here and gain so much info from you all - such as how to spend more $$$. Ha, ha.

M

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks M!!!

It never entered my addled brain to put the missing ones in the search box...it worked!!

My order is now in and I can get back to my mundane life!!
    I had already emailed Kathleen so she will surely think I'm crazy but she won't be the first one..;-)

Donna

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Emerald Dawn is such a beauty.

This post was edited by Tigrica on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 19:57

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I got an e-mail from them saying that they would ship the week of Oct 21. Now we just have to wait,
    Maida

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

Maida, yeah, I tried to put the bulbs in the cart and check out and I saw the dates. Thank you :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just in case you guys forgot, Living Gardens also has the Israeli bulbs. They have two varieties that ETGBs doesn't have I guess they don't have the exclusive on these bulbs after all. Both were green; Cutting Edge and Emerald Dawn. I chose Cutting Edge..anybody else?

Here is Cutting Edge from the Israeli site and Living Gardens...just to tempt you...Donna
    {{gwi:425059}}

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

All the green ones they have are real nice. :) Cutting edge looks like yume mitai.

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

I couldn't decide between Cutting Edge and Emerald Dawn so I bought both. Hope they look like their pictures.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, you're right, Cutting Edge does look very similar to Yume Mitai..and I'll bet we get flowers from it a whole lot sooner than my sulking Yume Mitai...The edges appear to be more frilly on the Israeli bulb which I like and both of the above pictures are very similar although I think they were both taken by the Israelis. I have high hopes for this one!

I thought about Emerald Dawn also but I had ordered Emerald Flash from ETGB's so I thought that was enough for the greens..or at least until I see someone post a picture of Emerald Dawn..,.

Shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks now....:-)

Donna

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Emerald Dawn looks like it might have a red picotee. That would be nice on a green flower
    Maida

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

I think the Japanese ones have the scapes ripped off half the time as i notice mine have been peeled to a scape layer and had the scape chopped.

I've also got some of the saad assaf bulbs and some of them are actually rootless although usually they have a few. But they do seem to be sprouting. I got real small ones and i'm wondering if they even have a scape in them, the ones with a bump actually contained a bulblet inside a layer but time will tell. :)

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Hi All,

Yes I ordered the Cutting Edge and Graffiti.....ok and maybe some others lol I am looking forward to these as the only hippis I have with green are Papillio and Exotic Star. Wonder what a pap and cutting edge cross would look like.. I may never know as I am terrible at growing from seed.
    -J

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Emerald Dawn looks like it might have a red picotee. That would be nice on a green flower
    Maida

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi!

Well the season begins!! I received my two Cutting Edge bulbs from Living Gardens in NH and the bulbs look great. Not huge by any means but a good standard size. After pealing they are firm and each with a couple of roots so they're looking good and ready to go!
    I had never ordered from them previously and I am pleased, they did everything right so another year I will buy from them again..and their prices are lower than ETGBs for the same product.

Donna
    {{gwi:425061}}

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

What size are they? I got 22/24 ones and i cut one up and there was only a baby scape. lol But otherwise they are really firm and not much roots.

Love the little hessian sack. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

The largest one has a circumference of 10 & 1/4 inches the other a tiny bit smaller. You actually cut one open?? Why did you do that? Are these Israeli bulbs also?

How is your Komoriya aulicum doing and did it ever bloom for you?

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Nice looking bulbs Donna. I got some Israeli bulbs coming in likewise. Tme to prepare the pots and potting mixes again. Can't wait to have some flowers. I truly got DEPRESSED with my non-performing Komoriya bulbs! LOL

10 years ago

Donna and Maria,

I never have given it much thought, but tonight I wondered... What do you both think of the red on the dried layers?
    1) nothing much...
    2) probably red and dried bruised layers, or
    3) ick... Peel that off!

They look good Donna! I'll have to look at the photos of the blooms again.
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Three

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Donna: Yeah they were israeli bulbs. One was rotten in the core so i cut it open and then i kinda just peeled every layer to see. I had alot as i ordered them wholesale as it was the only way to get them but only the basic varieties they had.

You still remember the aulicum! I potted it up as the scape was peeking through but it has progressed maybe an mm or so after 1-2 months. No leaves either, just the scape bang in the middle. In fact some of the other japanese bulbs progressed much faster, some having rooted and some starting to leaf. They are all on top of radiators which i found sped up the process alot.

I have other aulicums and they are not dormant at all but growing quite strongly so not sure what is up with this one.

With the japanese ones, i'll be content with just them rooting and sending up leaves. I'm prepared that they will take 1-2 years to recover.

Kirsti: I'd advise peeling.

10 years ago

AJ... My motto is, when in doubt, peel.
    I just wondered if the red on bulbs that we get bothers anyone else.
    K

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I think each bulb is an individual case. Of course you know I am a fanatic peeler anyway, even just removing loose or tight brown stuff. I tend to leave newly peeled bulbs out to dry on the table for a few days before I pot them. I use the term pot them loosely, as I just usually sit them on top of the soil for a month or more and then when I'm sure the bottom of the bulb is doing it thing and not rotting I add more soil on top.
    I'd most certainly rather have nice brown dried skin on my bulb than red spots for sure!!

Donna

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aunt Jemima,

Were these Israeli bulbs left over or did they spend a huge amount of time in customs? I've never had any problems (fingers crossed) with any of my Israeli bulbs other than one with a huge healed gash (which they replaced) that lived.

Rather disturbing about all these aulicums from Komoriya isn't it....Donna

10 years ago

I think several of us are "peelers". It got me into trouble before with large numbers of bulbs, and then your end result can be much smaller than what you started out with. I try to understand what the red is....it's not fungal...? I think it's just healed bruised flesh, but anything red on a bulb makes me nervous.
    K

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Donna: The bulbs were mostly fine. In fact i was surprised that out of several hundred there was only a handful rotten and even within those it was just mostly superficial damage to the outer layer since they pack them in crates and nothing else.

There was one which was hollow into the centre from the base but it was offsetting so much i thought it was a bonus as it saved me the work notching it! And it looked like the centre was still alive enough to send up leaves. I wonder if they are so strong because they are not that far hybridized yet and still retain alot of natural vigour.

What impressed me was that they were far healthier than dutch ones when dutch ones are just across the channel from me whilst israeli ones travel a fair bit further to get to me. I actually tried to find a damaged one to cut open for some varieties and you wouldn't believe it there wasn't a single one for some varieties!

I'll withold judgement on the aulicum for now as i expect it to survive given it is such a big bulb. I'm hoping the offsets were not a response to internal health but just broodiness! One of the smaller japanese varieties is sending up leaves which are so big i think it might topple the pot as the bulb is so small!

I think it is usually obvious what the red is. You can tell if it is bruising or red fire. But the natural red brusing is anti fungal supposedly so it might not be a bad thing.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi!

I received my order from ETGBs today and the bulbs are huge!! My whole order was Israeli bulbs except for one Exotica and they all look good so far. I haven't opened any of the netted packages yet to started pealing but there isn't all that much to peal away and they all feel very heavy and firm. I can't wait to see some flowers!! Hope the rest of you got your orders too and they look as good as mine!

Donna

{{gwi:425063}}

{{gwi:425065}}

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

What size are the bulbs, Donna? they look good. :)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz