Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaryllisstudygroup

purple amaryllis ???

The most purple I can think of in a hippie is Elvas. Anyone else? Can't be.one you read about. Bill

)

Comments (26)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I don't think of Elvas as purple at all! I don't have one of these (yet), but what about Violetta or Purple Rain?
    K

• joshy46013
    11 years ago

I don't think 'Elvas' is purple either

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the point of the question. Elvas has its color marks in the throat. The edges of the marks are lavender as the flower becomes white 1/3 the way out on the petal. It is strange that the only flower in commercial production that I can actually say has some definitely lavender to purplish in it is not described that way while so many pink to reds are like Bordeaux, Purple Rain, etc. Lavender to purple in mostly imagination. I have been unable to get Violetta yet. BILL So anyone seem steal lavender to purple or bicolir hidden in the green hills of Kentucky?

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the point of the question. Elvas has its color marks in the throat. The edges of the marks are lavender as the flower becomes white 1/3 the way out on the petal. It is strange that the only flower in commercial production that I can actually say has some definitely lavender to purplish in it is not described that way while so many pink to reds are like Bordeaux, Purple Rain, etc. Lavender to purple in mostly imagination. I have been unable to get Violetta yet. BILL So anyone seem steal lavender to purple or bicolir hidden in the green hills of Kentucky?

• salpal
    11 years ago

I also agree Elvas is NOT purple. There is no purple yet. Bill you are a dreamer. Nothing wrong with that. Sweet dreams!

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elvas is a bicolor with the white on the outer part of the petal. Next time you see one in bloom do not look at the whole flower. Look at the color in the center. Does the edge of this color look like a blush of lavender (light purple)?

11 years ago

I just looked up Elvas on the KAVB specification page. The translations for the Dutch words (left column to right column, top to bottom) are:
    Two-tone
    Dark rose red
    medium-red
    Red

Maybe you are just perceiving one of the dark pink reds to have a purple cast.
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Does anyone consider Tosca to be sort of purple? From what I've seen of other's pictures (I don't have one) Tosca appears to me to look purplish...

Donna

11 years ago

ARGH....don't make me go back to the KAVB site...and Tosca is near the end of the list!

OK...we're getting closer, the flower's primary color is a dark purple red!

Samenvatting kleur: donker paarsrood 60A met licht geelbruin 158D. 4-6 bloemen. Schutblad half verdroogd, in knop groen met anthocyaan. Bracteolen half verdroogd, lichtgroen/wit. Binnenzijde: binnenste laterale en buitenste mediane bl.bl. donker paarsrood 60A, aan basis bruinpaarse 187A vlekjes; naar randen streperiger; iets boven keel op middennerf lichtgroene vlek; alle bl.bl. donker paarsrood 60A gerand; binnenste mediane en onderste helft van buitenste laterale bl.bl. licht geelbruin 158D tot iets witter met onregelmatige donker paarsrode 60A strepen. Helmdraden wit; basale helft met rode strepen. Stuifmeel geel. Stijl wit. Stempel rood. Buitenzijde: donker paarsrood 60A gestreept en gevlekt op witte tot licht geelbruine 158D ondergrond; brede lichtgroene 142C middennerf; binnenste laterale en buitenste mediane bl.bl. roder dan andere bl.bl. Bloemsteeltje bij bloei 5 cm lang, groen met paarse vlek aan de top. Steel 50 cm lang, groen met waslaag. Diepte bloem 12,5 cm.
    Or...
    Summary color: dark purple red 60A with light Tan 158D. 4-6 flowers. Bract in half, green with anthocyanin sear button. Sear, Bracteolen half light green/white. Inside: inner lateral and outer median BL. bl. dark purple red 60A, bruinpaarse on basic 187A specks; streperiger to edges; slightly above middennerf light green spot on throat; all BL. bl. dark purple red 60A gerand; inner median and lower half of outer lateral BL. bl. light Tan with irregular dark purple red 158D into something whiter 60A stripes. Helmet white wires; Basal half with red stripes. Pollen yellow. Style white. Red stamp. Exterior: dark purple red striped and mottled on white to slightly yellow 60A Brown 158D subsoil; wide light green middennerf 142C; inner outer lateral and median BL. bl. redder than other BL. bl. Flower stalk at bloom 5 cm long, green with purple spot at the top. Steel 50 cm long, green with wax. Flower depth 12.5 cm.

TMI, right?
    K

• pupu999
    11 years ago

Purple? have no idea.
    {{gwi:425281}}

11 years ago

PuPu, Whatever color you call it I love it!!

Donna

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

PuPu, I agree with Donna, I love it too!

• rgebczynski
    11 years ago

I would think more that Adele, or Hercules might be in the purple category. Also Donau... the last one is definitely a purple one. With a very deep colours.

11 years ago

This year Violetta and Purple Rain were my purple "wanna be" favorites.
    K

• npublici
    10 years ago

I have raised many seedlings with bluish or purplish casts or markings,but never have been able to select the trait. Many of the dark reds have a blue oversheen,which I have had no success selecting.Crosses involving Hercules,which seemed promising, produced many seedlings with the colors of Hercules and a few beautiful blends,but no separation of the obvious blue from Hercules.
    Del

10 years ago

Would you call Santiago purple or is there too much red in It? Or maybe Tosca?

{{gwi:384416}}

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Greetings Donna,

According to the Koninklijke Algemeene Vereeniging voor Bloembollencultuur (KAVB) database, SantiagoâÂÂs primary color is dark purple-red. The same is true for Tosca. By the way, KAVD lists Purple RainâÂÂs primary color as dark pink-red and ViolettaâÂÂs as medium to dark rose.

Best,

Blanca

• salpal
    10 years ago

To me, purple is the color you get with say, a "blue" petunia or delphinium. To me purple is purple, not a dark fuschia or red. Purple to me would be the color of a "purple" crayon. It happens to be one of the colors I love. It is a dark blue/violet, you know purple when you see it. worsleya is a purple/lavender- darken it and THAT is purple.

• salpal
    10 years ago

Well, I guess there are blue delphiniums. Haven't seen a true purple hippeastrum yet. (but would love to).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple

• blancawing
    10 years ago

I agree that there isn't a truly purple Hippeastrum (yet). As purple is my favorite color, I sincerely hope that one day we will all be able to have the pleasure of seeing one.

10 years ago

I don't know guys but, I think Tosca is as pretty close to purple as one can get. I don't have any of the others listed above so I'm not able to post any pictures for comparison, but here's another that looks like a Tosca sibling..Daphne

Unfortunately I'm not interested in what color charts have to say, since they can go crazy with their color descriptions but am more interested in what my eye sees. (I know, nobody agrees).

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne

10 years ago

Purple is a very common color in the rhododendron world as well as other flowers as you all know so here is a picture of one of our purple rhododendrons growing in our yard...I know this is off topic but it IS purple!

10 years ago

Now that is PURPLE!!!

• blancawing
    10 years ago

And very beautiful!

• HU-17497
    10 years ago

purple and blue the final frontier

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

Purple, blue and true yellow the final hippeastrum challenge

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?