Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaryllisstudygroup

Get a Thanksgiving bloomset

On Oct. 5 unplant your favorite hippeastrum bulb for 5 days. Replant on Oct. 10 in a 10 inch or larger pot with just the roots in the soil. DO NOT CUT THE LEAVES!!! Water every 3 weeks. Most varieties will start bloom the week of Thanksgiving. This does not work well for cybister bybrids, but great for large flower types. Bill

Comments (7)

• misss
    11 years ago

I will try this, as usually I put some to bed come Septemmber. I was too busy to do it this year, so they are all still outdoors.

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Try to keep the temperature above 70F for best results. Do not let water stand in the saucer. Let me hear about the results good or bad. so I may communicate better. Bill amstgrp@yahoo.com

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Will this work for H. Papilio as well? I am carrying around a huge Pap bulb (story and photos to be posted this weekend) that was dug up on Monday. I will pot it up when I get home on Sunday. Outer 6 leaves were cut to about 6" as the were bent, but 4 inner leaves are intact.
    K

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi, Short answer=I don't know. the principle I see that is violated is the cutting of the leaves which puts the bulb into the dry bulb state in only 5 - 7 days while unplanted. This is the first step in commercial forcing. The hybrid bulbs now will not bloom until the temperature rise & longer sunlight hours inthe spring unless you put them in storage below 45F for 4 - 6 weeks and then prechill them at about 35F for about 4-5 days. The precise formula varies by bulb size, variety, temperature, number of cold hours [like 105 hours], and the specific company. So, please let us all know if your bulb reblooms now or later. You are going where no amaryllis care giver has gone before and Capt. Kirk isn't there to help. You do have wiggle room. I just do not know if the partially cut leaves stop the growing and put thebulb into the dry bulb state or stimulate the bloom stage.

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kristi, Short answer=I don't know. the principle I see that is violated is the cutting of the leaves which puts the bulb into the dry bulb state in only 5 - 7 days while unplanted. This is the first step in commercial forcing. The hybrid bulbs now will not bloom until the temperature rise & longer sunlight hours inthe spring unless you put them in storage below 45F for 4 - 6 weeks and then prechill them at about 35F for about 4-5 days. The precise formula varies by bulb size, variety, temperature, number of cold hours [like 105 hours], and the specific company. So, please let us all know if your bulb reblooms now or later. You are going where no amaryllis care giver has gone before and Capt. Kirk isn't there to help. You do have wiggle room. I just do not know if the partially cut leaves stop the growing and put thebulb into the dry bulb state or stimulate the bloom stage.

• Maddy Reynolds
    11 years ago

I am trying this with an Amigo and a Samba.

Question: Do I water it thoroughly with warm water when I replant on the 5 th day and.... then wait until 3 weeks later to water again?

or do I withhold water until I see a bloom stalk emerge from the bulb and then start the water every 3 weeks ?

Somehow I doubt this will work but I'm a bit excited to try it and hoping it will. THANKS for posting this.

• amaryllisstudygroup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Water thouroughly room temp or slightly warm then each 3week unless your air is unusually dry as in some office buildings that are dried out at night by the h/ac. Bill

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County