{{gwi:425634}}

{{gwi:425635}}

{{gwi:425636}}

{{gwi:425637}}

Comments (20)

• dizzy77
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow Allan you have some real beauties there. I love that first one. Do you remember the parentage? And how many years did it take for these to flower?

Di

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Di, Yes they are seedlings from a Tet White hippeastrum X Hippeastrum papilio and H. bukasovii ie they are all Triploid hippeastrums, hence the number of green flowers.

I live in an ideal climate for growing hippeastrums so the seed usually takes 2 years to get most to flower though often 12 months will show the early flowering bulbs.

There are still many more to flower yet.

cheers allan

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Wow!! I was in love with the first one.... then I saw the second one....and then I saw the third!! All very beautiful!! I hope my Papilio seedlings look half as lovely as yours when their time comes!!

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Allan,

They're all very beautiful, I'd say you have an eye for breeding!

Do you have a picture of your bukasovii x papilio? I've been trying to get ahold of bukasovii myself for years and have had no luck :(

Josh

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Very nice job, Allan! I'll take one of the 3d and one of the 2d. Thanks ;oD

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi All for the compliments, though this lot of bulbs may be destined for the compost as the white tet I used has mozaic virus and am not sure how many of these seedlings will also have the virus.

This was a breeding exercise to see if diploids would breed with tetraploids and they do. At present none of the seedlings have shown the virus though will wait till middle of summer to see if the virus shows as that is when they stress and the virus shows.

Donna if you cross a white with a color, then all the colors which are masked (covered up) in the colored parent, show up in the seedlings. So if your papilio was crossed with a white the color range will be large, if you had used a colored parent then the color range will be limited to the most dominant colors.
    I have been breeding Hippeastrum daylilies bromeliads etc from seed for over 30 years and know white x color is a good way to get pretty flowers.

Josh, I do have that cross from last year though again not sure if the seedlings will have virus as when I used the pollen of the white tet on my H. bukasovii it transferred the virus to this plant, pity I did not know the virus was there?

The virus came from plants of Maguire's nursery and am now throwing out all my old stock including seedlings.

Am hoping H. bukasoviss may set sum non virus seedlings with papilio which I can recreate the species from?? cheers allan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Allan,

Seeds are generally always virus free. Since you moved the pollen from the virused plant to the non it probably is infected :( Either way, these crosses are beautiful and should be virus free! :)

Josh

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Allan,

Seeds are generally always virus free. Since you moved the pollen from the virused plant to the non it probably is infected :( Either way, these crosses are beautiful and should be virus free! :)

Josh

• dizzy77
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Allan I have some papillio that is in bud at the moment, I was just wondering if maybe you had some spare pollen you could donate. Sounds like you have a lot of experience and knowledge of the ploidies and would know what would work with paps. I have 4 spikes and nothing to cross them with.
    I would be happy to send a SSAE.

Di

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

Allan,

There might be a chance that Papilio could have passed down some of its resistance to the mosaic virus to its progeny. I wouldn't completely give up on them yet if they are isolated from your other hippies you could wait a little longer to see if they are resistant.

AJ

• mariava7
    13 years ago

They are all beautiful Allan! Congratulations!

So sorry about your virused Maguire's bulbs. I had the same problem and was very disappointed with them. I had high hopes and plans for their varieties. It all went to the burning pit together with their bulbs.

How can Maguires sell virused bulbs and export them at that????? Hundreds of them arrived USA soil last year and a couple of hundreds again recently by the way. Not all of them may be virused but the RISK is there!!!

Australia is one if not the strictest country with their rules and regulations on bringing in live plant materials. Isn't Australia likewise strict on inspecting their nurseries and agricutural farms?

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all, have been busy & not on the net to see what happens on this forum.
    Josh, have taken the attitude that this may be the case so will let the seedlings go for this season though as soon as virus appears they will go?

Di, I do have pollen, though it is not worth you while to have, as most if it is off virus plants, hopefully with the exception of the new stock & my other H. papilio seedlings.

The best cross is to cross H. papilio pollen on to a white tet., hippeastrum, the results can be seen in the next image (the reverse cross does not take ie no seed);

{{gwi:425639}}

Many of these seedlings have green back ground color, as well as most flowers are 6inch + with 2 to 8 buds per stem.
    Found that seed set was ok if the white tet was healthy and in ideal growing location, not easy in a pot.

AJ, yep am familiar with stopping virus transferring from plant to plant so no problem with the current virus, though 2 of my new bulbs are showing virus as well from another distributor? Will ask for a full refund if any more bulbs show the virus? My H. papilio seedlings have no virus so am not worried about them only stopping this practice of selling plants with virus (very unprofessional practice).

An image take doday of same patch of seedlings of White tet x H. papilio;

{{gwi:425640}}

& image of a novel seedling;

{{gwi:425642}}

mariava7, Australia has in the past for only short periods, had strict agricultural rules & they were enforced, though as has happened all over the world, double standards, hypocrisy, corruption, & unprofessional attitudes have replaced any semblance of meaningful quality control & block to pest species being introduced.

I actually asked The state horticulture body to check Maguires for virus? they tried passing the bux telling me they are not interested, though surprisingly have a compulsory declaration for nurseries stating that their stock is virus free? to send to other states in Australia?
    The owner of Maguires is in his mid 70's he is not interested in changing his ways now & his soil will carry the virus by now so he does not tell people he has virus.

His Karma will come in a future life? where he will become one of us (buyer who get plants with virus in it??).

If we go out side the small world of out gardens, to look at a bigger picture then with in a few thousand years evolution will take the genes we have introduced into our gardens & select for new plants that will be environmentally advantageous, hence a new ecology will appear, we may not be here, I might add???

What this tells me is that I have an emotional button about being lied too & will have to resolve this to eliminate any expectation about sellers being professional?
    Hence ask the relevant questions first, like asking sellers; "Is your stock free of virus?" prior to sending payment. Also ask the seller; "if virus appears with in first 2 months after receiving order, will you be prepared to refund all cost?" (& keep their reply on record)???
    allan

13 years ago

Allan,

How long was it before your Maguire's bulbs showed signs that they were virused? I have a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach....

Donna

• allan4519
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Donna, not much use feeling sick in the stomach if you have bought hippeastrums from Maguires? All the plants I have from Maguires have virus.
    This does not mean that the plants are of no value, if you make sure you keep them separate from your other plants and not likely to be close enough to have insect pests in common, then it is ok to keep them as they will flower and put on a show each year.

I like to grow my plants from seed and this is where I have a problem.

To answer your question when the mature leaves in summer start to loose vigor then the virus becomes obvious if not before? The varieties I have are very beautiful though no good for breeding so I will get rid of them ie lawn mower.

Just a quick note for those people who smoke cigarettes ? Mozaic virus is often found in tobacco, so it is likely that a smoker will give their plants mozaic virus just by handeling the bulbs, flowers or foliage.
    cheers allan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Allan,

I agree that holding off on your seedlings is probably a good idea, like I said, virus isn't usually spread through seed so whether the parent plants have it or not you should be fine *unless they got it from the parent plant another way*

Either way, I have a few bulbs that I've got from Maguires in the mail YESTERDAY and I'm going to go ahead and just chuck them. It seems easy to have a defeatist attitude and just keep them and grow them anyway but then I'd be just as ignorant as the guy running Maguires.. It's especially sad because he sells to everyone, big box stores and so on.

Josh

13 years ago

Josh, I'm curious, where did Your Maguires that came in the mail yesterday... come from? And, if I may ask, how many and what were the varieties? Was there another group order? And, the big box stores, I assume you mean in Australia.......?

And Allan, In my haste... I forgot to mention what gorgeous seedlings you produced!! I certainly hope they are alright, assuming that you used Virgin Bride as the white....As soon as I can get my hands on a "normal" white, I will attempt the same cross! Just goes to show if we persevere, we can all make our own flowers just as beautiful if not better than what we can buy....

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna & Everyone Else,

I'm so dumb :) Mine are Hadeco, are these safe? I'm kinda glad I didn't throw them out yet!!

I got Fanfare, Bellissmo and Graffitti! Pheewww

Josh

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

Bump for everybody.
    Has anybody of You signs of infections on the Maguire- bulbs of the last order?
    My are looking great and i force them thru this year, to give them a better start here on the other hemisphere.
    Best regards
    Frank

• npublici
    13 years ago

For the information of those breeding Hippeastrum;Papilio is resistant,if not immune to mosaic.The likelihood of passing mosaic to a seed, when using the infected bulb as the seed parent,is extremely low,The likelihood of pollen from an infected bulb giving the disease to the recipient is very high.

13 years ago

Hi Frank,

I bought 26 bulbs in the last order...I had to play catch-up since I wasn't around for the first order. To date, only half of the plants have either bloomed and or put up 4-5 large green leaves the rest are sort of in suspended animation, but all look good except one that had some rot that I wasn't able to correct, even though I tried...but that can happen anytime to anyone...

I keep all of these bulbs as far away as possible from all my other bulbs, not an easy task with possible 130 + pots, all in the house for the winter!! I check the leaves faithfully, as I am definitely paranoid about the possibility of their being virused. Only two,.. and I am NOT AT ALL sure of this, since any and all markings on the leaves are suspect to me, have shown any marks that may be construed as mosaic pattern. Three weeks ago I noticed this, (My beloved Indian Fairy and Strawberry Blend which I suspected much earlier) and put these plants by themselves and in checking them carefully..yet again.. after seeing your post, I can not say for sure if what I see is in fact virus. The markings seem to have mostly all filled in with green and I had a hard time finding the areas that were suspect. I know that my being paranoid can play a big part in what I think I see..If I wasn't aware of this virus..as was the case several months ago, then I would say they are just fine!

Now, I know that a few other folks from either this order or the first have had a few that they are sure were virused, but it's up to them to disclose it. I do plan ( if there is another order) to buy about half as many as I bought the first time, but between now and order time if people come out of the woodwork with tales of virused Maguire's plants, maybe all our plans will change. These flowers are truly beautiful and I truly hope I am wrong about my Indian Fairy and Strawberry Blend... I check my Rebel constantly also, as well as my Party Poopers and Party Animal and they are all clear and green. But, if anything does show up, I will tell the truth...Sorry I ramble on so, I do tend to do this...

I hope others will answer you as well on this unpopular topic....

Donna

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions