Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippifan

Seedlings through winter

hippifan
12 years ago

Hello everybody,

I've a question about my seedlings. How do I have to treat my seedlings in/through winter. I know that they have to stay with leaves, but do they need to have as much water as in summer and do I have to fertilize them?

Thank you for your replies.

(I don't know how to put pictures on the forum, can anybody explain?)

Comments (23)

• haweha
    12 years ago

Register to photobucket.com.
    Resize your pics to an appropriate size like 800 pixels x 600 pixels, and upload your pics to your Album at Photobucket.
    COPY the one link under the pic that starts with "a href". Simply click on the link then it will be copied, which will be indicated in the respective bar as "copied", btw.
    Then include the link into your posting.

Keep boxes with seedlings at a BRIGHT location during winter. Supply only as much water, preferably from BELOW, as is being consumed. This depends considerably on the heat and the light that you can provide. Include a minute amount of fertilizer (equivalent to max 0.3 g/L of salts from fertilizer) to lukewarm water every time you provide your plants with water.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Hans,
    How much fertilizer in grams per liter you give the seedlings during their active growth in summer. And what is the ratio of N: P: K?
    Or how much grams per liter of each fertilizer you give?

• haweha
    12 years ago

Again, my feedback was eaten by GardenWeb SHAME ON YOU

• haweha
    12 years ago

Summer and winter, 0.24 to 0.3 g/L

Ratio: 6:3.&
    400 g/L of salts undiluted
    6 mL per 10 L
    end concn = 0.24 g/L

• haweha
    12 years ago

6:3:6

N:P:K = m(N[total]) : m(P2O5) : m(K2O)

• haweha
    12 years ago

1)The fertilizer uptake is being regulated through the water uptake, which is consideerably higher in summer

• haweha
    12 years ago

2)Water without fertilizer already carries a salt freight.
    WHINING about a violation of the DOGMA "but we learnerd not to fertilize in winter" is pointless - it makes only sense in regard to fertilizing with Nitrogen. But the amounts that you introduce by moderately fertilizing is in conjunction with low water consumption in winter SAFE.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Hans,
    Thanks. With your recommendation in full agreement. I suppose that if to use the light not less than 10 000 lux dose of fertilizer should be like summer.
    I prefer to use for irrigation water rain or snow, since it contains very little amount of salts.

• haweha
    12 years ago

Water that almost equals distilled water is not necessarily the best choice. Liquid fertilizers generally LACK Calcium++ Magnesium++ and Sulphate, SO4-- Ion. Solid fertilizers that are declared "fully water soluble" do not contain Calcium++ ion. The 3 named Ions are typically being provided through the tap water.
    Best solution is, to use either "soft" tap water OR to dilute "hard" tap water with water from the sources you indicated, and in either spike and spike with liquid fertilizer. A resulting TOTAL amount of salts of upto approximately 0.8 to 1 g/L is SAFE.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Yes, it's true. But the problem is that the powerful lamps powerful warm. As a result - the rapid evaporation of moisture from the upper layer of the substrate. But the salts is remains ...

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Gosh...either I am lucky, simple, or stupid...I water my seedlings 2x/week using 1/2 strengh "MiracleGro" and tap water every couple of waterings. They thrive! They don't grow as fast as they would in commercial production, but they do very well for a hobbyist! I hope that some of my 2-3 year old seedlings will bloom in the winter/spring of 2012!!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Words ... words ... and need pictures for comparison. Remember my photo in the topic: Propagating Amaryllis from sed?
    Now the same seedlings look like this: they have already rising fifth leaf
    {{gwi:425954}}
    And June 13 was like this:
    {{gwi:425956}}

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

I too..just like Kristi... feed with Miracle Grow... a weak solution with every watering for my established bulbs and a milder solution just about every time I water my seedlings..so far I'm having great luck..Oh, and for my established bulbs I also threw in a portion of Osmocote pellets in the early summer.

Here is a picture of some of excess seedlings (these are crosses done in winter/spring of 2010 they are barely 1 1/2 yr old) that I had no room for..in the ground they went..they are doing so well, I think next year I will plant more directly in the ground..the strongest will survive and the weaker ones won't.

{{gwi:375765}}

and 1 of 5 pots of my h. papilio seedling (the eBay bulb) that I was so psyched about last year..each of the 5 pots has 1 or 2 larger bulbs(there are 5 or 6 bulbs in each pot and some are substantially larger than the rest)..same Miracle Grow routine...

{{gwi:425960}}

and just one of many garden carts that had to find shelter during hurricane Irene...all Miracle Grow babies...

{{gwi:425963}}

So, for those who don't take the scientific approach to feeding, you can experience success also....

Donna

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Oleg9grower & dondeldux: Thank you for your photo's! Donna, you take your photo's from Picasaweb? How do you do that?
    @haweha, you think a window on the west isn't enough? I have no other place for them. :-(

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Donna
    babies you are good! Alas, we Miracle Gro is not for sale is only made âÂÂâÂÂin Finland Kemira Lux. But I use a variety of fertilizers.
    And as we have summers humid, rainy, and there are slugs 4 inch size. They like to eat leaves hippeastrum�, eat at night as much as cracking. Therefore, in open ground I not planted.

12 years ago

Thanks, Oleg..These were planted in the ground as probably 10 to 12 month seedling..they have doubled or tripled in size..we too have slugs..I feed them beer...

Hippifan,

Choose your picture from your album and click on the picture.....on the right hand side there is the word TAG and just under TAG are the words LINK TO THIS PHOTO with a symbol of a chain...left click on that...select your size...I always use the largest...800px will turn blue...then left click on HIDE THE ALBUM link...then left click EMBEDDED IMAGE and it will turn blue..then right click on the blue EMBEDDED IMAGE and right click to copy..go back to your message and right click to paste..

now make sure you go down at least 2 lines from the text in your message before you paste or some of your text will be hidden behind your photo..

the URL to your picture should be 5 lines long...go to PREVIEW MESSAGE and look... your picture should be there..if it isn't, then try again..when I was trying to learn to post pictures I neglected to PREVIEW THE MESSAGE and all I could see was the URL..dumb me couldn't figure it out..I didn't grow up with computers the way the rest of you have..if you have any more questions, just ask..one more note..if you move your pictures around in your Picasa album for any reason after you send it to the forum it will disappear or another picture will mysteriously be in it's place. I have many older posts with the wrong picture..I used to blame the Garden Web gremlins but maybe I inadvertently deleted and picture or moved the sequence of the pictures...Since I post pictures regularly, I have an album specifically for forum posting, then I'm not tempted to rearrange them for any reason...and they still manage to get rearanged sometimes..this is not an exact science....GOOD LUCK!!

Donna

{{gwi:425967}}

12 years ago

....one more thing Hippifan..I use West facing windows as well as South facing and they get several hours of sunlight with the leaves off of the trees...works for me for the winter months..I use any window that is available even some in my North windows and they survive..not optimal, but a bit of sun and lots of light keeps them going...

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Hippifan,

I grow some on a west facing window and they seem to do well during the winter \but in warmer months I move them to a spot with sun in the morning and shade in the evening so they don't sit there all year.

You can also use supplemental lighting, I use some supplemental lighting during the winter months when it's the darkest!

Josh

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

[].I feed them beer... [/]
    Yes, these "alcoholics" like beer :)).
    But I do not this. On the Russian forum, we found out that yes, they crawl to the beer. BUT! The smell of beer they feel well and is far and crawling from all your neighbors, and there is no end to it ...:(

• hippifan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:425969}}Van Hippeastrum

My seedlings. {{gwi:425972}}Van Hippeastrum

My 'adult' ones. Do they look healty?

12 years ago

I zoomed in on the pictures and they ALL look healthy to me...

Donna

• haweha
    12 years ago

Hello Oleg; I like your suggestion with the Beer. However, I would use degassed Beer only: Roots are not as fond, of Carbon Dioxide. They prefer Oxygen... If you supply beer but from the bottom, then I assume that the olfactory mess should not be as obvious. Well, I should give it a try *still musing how much I shall dilute it*

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Hello Hans;I liked your message, as well as German beer:))
    Without comment, Bull Bull

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions