Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Wanted: ..... Hippeastrum 'Orange Rascal'

Can anyone tell mm where I can purchase a mini Hippeastrum called "Orange Rascal"? Old postings on this forum make references to Breck's as a possible retailer, but this plant is no longer listed, and the phone help at Breck's was absolutely no help at all.

So who has this bulb for sale? Perhaps, specialty growers? Private collectors?

Please let me know where I can but this bulb.

Many thanks,

Frank/BronxFigs

Comments (20)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I would do an internet search for the image and often it links to a page and you can contact growers from that. Good luck.
    K

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for helping. I need a retailer in the United States who carries this variety. Searches/pictures, etc. lead me no where.

I'm still asking and searching for this bulb.

Frank

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure this bulb was sold this spring through Brecks and Royal Colors. If you wait until this coming spring I'm sure it will be apart of both their collections then. Until then, don't hold your breath!

Josh

Original Author
    12 years ago

joshy46103/Josh:

Was this bulb sold as: "ORANGE RASCAL"? Please explain what you mean when you say:... "it will be a part of both their collections"

Have these two companies sold this variety within, or, as part of a collection of other similar bulbs, or as a separate item. I contacted Brecks, and the guy that I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for this bulb. Maybe I'll have better luck at Royal Colors.

If possible, can you let me know what the item number was if you have catalogs showing this bulb. Maybe this will help these companies locate this variety.

My quest goes on, ....but thanks for the leads.

Frank

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

It's available as part of Brecks "Hardy Collection" that they sell in the spring but sometimes they replace varieties with others and Royal Colors sold them this past spring as "Orange Rascal" I'm pretty sure.

12 years ago

Since many of us buy from RC...in Europe, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a non US retailer if they have the bulb I want! This company has many "hard to find" hybrids. Might be worth the trouble.
    K

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I agree with Kristi, send them an email and ask if they ship to the US but I wouldn't count them out!

Oh, I'm not sure if you know but the 'Rascal' series are very small, some are about the fourth the size of some of the bigger hybrids. My 'Pink Rascal' has only 2-3 inch blooms where some hybrids can have MUCH, MUCH larger.

Original Author
    12 years ago

No luck with either of these two companies.

E-mailed RC about availability, and US retailers, .... no answers yet. Also, "Orange Rascal" is not listed in their catalog.

Brecks has a "hardy" Amaryllis MIXTURE listed @ 39.99+ S&H, ...but they can't tell me just what specific varieties make up the mixture of the 5 bulbs.

The search still goes on.

12 years ago

Parla Italiana? Come on Frank....be our guinea pig and buy it from Italy!!
    :-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

kaboehm: Nice try, but....NO THANKS!!!! Once, I tried sending for tropical "Sea Grape" seeds from a retailer in Costa Rica. Just to have some stinkin' seeds mailed to me, I would have had to register my computer with the Dept. of Agriculture, then fill-out endless forms, download permission-to-import waivers, blah, blah, blah. I wound up buying some damn "Sea Grape" plants from some grower in Florida,... and that ended my desire to import seeds. I wouldn't even attempt trying to import live, fleshy, bulbs! God knows how long the bulbs would be held in quarantine, and it would probably cost me a fortune. Too much "red-tape".

If YOU decide to import, let me know :-) :-) :-) !!

Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE! ......UPDATE!......

"Brecks" just e-mailed me re: "Orange Rascal"...they no longer carry this variety.

"Royal Colors" also contacted me ..... also, no longer in stock, ... BUT they will pass my e-mail request to someone who may have some bulbs.

Not good news for me.

Frank

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Frank..
    I'm just wondering...with all he beautiful varieties ( in my opinion, and obviously other forum member's opinions) can't you set your sights on some varieties that are more easily accessible..surely there must be some flowers out there that will pass your discrimating taste..if you haven't seen your chosen varieties in years..how can you be sure that they will still measure up?;-)...or...is it the thrill of the hunt?

Donna

12 years ago

Donna...maybe it's a guy "thing"...! Just kidding Frank! Actually I have an import license. The Italian group does price to the US. I have an email into them to see what they do for shipping. Royal Colors ships with phytocertificiates and it's very reasonable.

K

12 years ago

Here is the address of the company that registered Orange Rascal. If you want your best shot of getting a bulb, either call or mail them a letter. It can be worth your time.

I've done all I can except make the call myself Frank...and I don't want this hybrid, but if I did, I'd have been on the phone by now.
    K

Barnhoorn Hippeastrum
    Leidsevaart 218
    2211 WE Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands

Here's the phone number:
    +031(071) 362 55 56

Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna: I haven't the slightest clue as to my motivations. Maybe it is a "guy thing". Hunting around for plant sources almost always leads to new, exciting information that could be used in the future.

When I originally asked if anyone knew where I could find this variety, I never expected that I would have to start looking for sources in Europe. I thought someone would suggest a US retailer.

I thought the novelty of growing such a small, mini-Amaryllis would be a kick, but this quest is now causing members to spend too much time trying to get me to a source for this bulb. That was never my intention. I think that this search is now over.

Thank-you for helping me.

Frank

Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE!!

If anyone still cares, I may have found a source for the "Orange Rascal"....in the USA.

As my searching continued, I came across a posting, that listed the varieties of Hipps. within the Brecks, Hardy Amaryllis Mixture, (5 bulbs) (SKU#73695): Balentino/Valentino...Helios...Candy...Swan Lake.....and, drum-roll please,..Dah Da!!! "ORANGE RASCAL". (I came across this information doing a search for "Sonatini Hippeastrum Valentino").

This collection is/was $39.99 and may be available come Spring '12. I wonder if the same varieties will still comprise this mixture, because I will be essentially paying 40 bucks plus shipping, for one stinkin' bulb. Pretty pricey!

By the way, when I called Brecks and asked them just WHAT varieties were within their "hardy" Amaryllis Mixture, they had no clue. Great record keeping! My searching would have ended at this point if only Brecks knew what they were selling.

The end.

Frank

12 years ago

Well...the Italian company doesn't send to the US. Pooey!
    Kristi

Original Author
    12 years ago

Barnhoorn Hippeastrum contacted me and I was informed that the company is trying to increase this variety because of the high demand, and that a soon as numbers are sufficiently high, this variety will once again hit the retail markets.

12 years ago

Thanks for the update Frank!!
    K

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions