Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Diseased?

rredbbeard
13 years ago

This is the first year for 'White Christmas', with the leaves pictured below. Should this be its 'last christmas'?

The leaves developed this mottling which on any other plant would suggest all kinds of potential infections, viral/bacterial/fungal, etc. Does anyone have specific knowledge--should I chuck this and hope it doesn't spread to my other plants? It has been in full sun all summer...

Thanks,

--Rr

{{gwi:426547}}

Comments (95)

• xineohpinakc
    13 years ago

dondeldux

I am in South Carolina. Your two bulbs would be awesome since they are the same to try different things on and compare.

kaboehm
    Awesome keep me informed. I'm going to keep whatever I get active perhaps in the 50 gallon aquarium with florescent lights. so the roots will uptake some stuff. Also have syringes to give the plants injections during trials.

I don't have that many of these plants only a few that people gave me from the boxed flowers during the holidays so it is no great loss if they contract it eventually.

• npublici
    13 years ago

I realized that I hadn't answered all the questions. I've been quite busy, so I couldn't for a while. I think that the best thing I can do is to tell you about the Pacific Bulb Society and the International Bulb Society. They both have websites full of answers to your questions.
    Maria and Josh have both given accurate,helpful information.
    Symptoms of Mosaic disease:Sometimes there are none,but the bulb passes the disease to other bulbs which display symptoms. Sometimes there is little or no mottling,but dark green streaking instead or along with the mottling. Unfortunately, sudden heavy doses of nitrogen does that also.Interestingly enough, heavy doses of fertilizer can cause mosaic symptoms to show up where they didn't before.
    Deficiencies,or excesses of the three major plant foods NPK or minor elements such as boron can cause symptoms similar to mosaic. Sometimes there is yellowing of leaves,sometimes whiteness in patterns, mottles or streaks.
    Unfortunately,again,The symptom of mosaic which distorts leaves,by twisting, warping and folding closed,is also caused by insects and bulb worms. Insect bites on the leaves sometimes severly affect Hippeastrum.It is sometimes extremely hard to tell what is mosaic and what is insect damage. My rule of thumb is If I find one bulb that I know with a large degree of certainty is mosaic,then every bulb I find thereafter with marginal possibilities of being infected is burned. I burn mine, because I don't want someone to pick the bulb out of the trash at any point. Oh look; someone threw away a flower bulb. What if it's your next door neighbor rescuing that bulb?
    Letting bulbs be hot and humid without adequate water is a way to stress bulbs,causeing them to exhibit mosaic.Too much fertilizer and too little water can do it. I have started stressing mine on purpose to try to find the mosaic as soon as possible.
    Del

• mariava7
    13 years ago

xineohpinakc...You won't have to look hard to get hold of virused Hippie bulbs. Hippeastrum season is here again starting off the UNBELIEVABLE influx of virused bulbs to USA.

Before you give somebody a gift box of amaryllis, make sure you KNOW where the cheap bulb inside was grown. Otherwise, you might be gifting virus to your family/friends.

Varieties/bulbs that are greenhouse grown, most specially those that are produced for cutflowers are more expensive for a reason than field grown....Quality/health control.

• xineohpinakc
    13 years ago

@ mariava7

I've never given an Amaryllis to anyone. They gave them to me because I like plants and this was at the store and wraps up nice in the box. I'm not as much into these as you guys are with your awesome collections. I have a few that people gave me as holiday gifts or theirs that quit blooming and was going to be thrown out. On the boxes most said something like "Product of Belgium or Holland".

The virus thing is more interesting to me than the plants really out of curiosity. Right now I'm more into Hibiscus species and cross pollinating species. I'm working on a Syriacus plant that has pretty large flowers right now. Working on getting some of the genes from Rosa-Sinensis to Syriacus through a middleman plant.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Ryan posted a lab that he thought might test for virus...they said they only test orchids, but maybe a lab called agdia would test amaryllis. Just an FYI.
    Kristi

• santo2010
    13 years ago

Hello,
    It would be very usefull if someone got a treatment to post it.
    Fortunatelly I have a few, not hard to find bulbs infected, so I 'd like to test treatments with them.
    Long ago I have read some hot water treatment. Anyone has details?
    Thank you.

13 years ago

you can search this forum for HOT and find the details. They are also in Veronica Read's book.
    Kristi

• santo2010
    13 years ago

Thank's I'm gonna look in the book. I read it some time ago and I had forgoten that.
    Anyone had have good results?

13 years ago

I haven't tried this for virus, but it's part of the plan (not all of it...chemicals are also involved). IF hot water was something that killed the mosaic virus on its own, we all would be using it and there wouldn't be such a problem. I think it's much more complex than that! I intend to use known antivirals as well.

I'll be documenting everything and will let you know; however, the lab that Ryan posted only does orchid testing, so am still looking for a lab that will do bulbs.
    Kristi

• ryan820
    13 years ago

If bulbs are in a community pot, and one bulb shows the sign of MV, should the entire pot be considered infected even if they show no signs presently? These bulbs have been in the same pot for a long time and only one has shown signs.

Ryan

13 years ago

Ryan,
    I had the same thing happen. I pulled out the diseased bulb and then repotted the other bulbs in a new pot with new soil. I have been using the Bayer systemic insecticide and am thinking that may have protected most of my bulbs, since I only pulled a few out this summer and I have about 150+ pots.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

And, I had the same thing happen, about 8 bulbs growing in my whiskey barrel, and one was suspect.....the only reason I even noticed it was that we were due for some hurricane force winds and I was afraid the leaves would all get torn to shreds. All the bulbs have been re-potted and none show any signs yet, but I check these bulbs every day.....What a pain in the you know what this is!! A couple of my prize bulbs were in that whiskey barrel..........but then it appears we're all in the same boat. From now on, I will only use community pots or barrels for seedlings.......

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

The virus can spread through soil, I would think that it would be very possible that the others would have it as well. Only time will tell.

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Just read this thread today, and it got me nervous. I went home and checked out my bulbs, sure enough I found two! One Orange Sovreign and one just white. I saw someone on here wanted infected bulbs for research, there are yours if you want them. I will be burning them shortly though if no response.

13 years ago

I emailed the person who had said they wanted the infected bulbs and sent pictures of the leaves also, got no response...prehaps I didn't get through to him/her...anyway, I no longer have my bulbs, destroyed....maybe you'll have better luck. I do think that anyone who suspects that they have infected bulbs should post pictures, so there will be a very helpful picture trail........for others to go by if the're not sure....

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

It`s one kitchen metod to tested your plants.
    Simply set seeds of the weed goose-fot (Chenopodium) in the pot and grow them. Then, infected a plant of goose-fot for the juice of tested plant, or simply rub the leave goose-fod
    on crushed leave of your tested plant.
    Then, for the week or so you can see: when your tested plant is virus diseased on the leaves goose-fot the mosaic symptoms will apeared.
    No curation of the virus diseased plants. Treatment of hot temperatures - it`s fairytales, I`m sorry.
    No not needed, no used live organisms in this beautiful planet, the weeds so.

Oleg from Ukraine.

• radarcontactlost
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of the Orange Sovereign that I found yesterday. What do you think, TMV for sure?

{{gwi:426564}}

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

That is for a form of Mosaic Virus in my opinion, I would discard it.

13 years ago

Looks like a match to me, I wouldn't take any chances...
    {{gwi:426565}}From Garden Web Pics

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Awe, Donna, which one is that? Is that one from the barrel you had?

• npublici
    13 years ago

Paxfleur,
    Please keep the forum imformed on your success rate, growing mosaic infected bulbs. The information is valuable, for breeding purposes.Who knows? One of us could develop a resistant strain,which would not get infected.
    Del

13 years ago

Yes, that's the one from my whiskey barrel...am watching all the others...checking the leaves each day.... nothing yet....

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

Which variety was it? I would love to see the bulb that was so special to you :(

13 years ago

Josh, No,No, This wasn't the special one, it was the others, Tres Chic, Vera, Popov (not special) Hermitage,(I'm not sure this one was labeled correctly but the flowers were gorgeous) Piquant,(it takes many tries to get that one correctly labeled and it is a beauty) Temptation, another beauty, and last but not least Limona who arrived in a very rotten state, was put in intensive care by me, sent up 3 scapes and was a gorgeous soft yellow! Now, I know you're not a fan of hybrids, and...most of these can be bought again, but they are my babies and I'm hopping they will be fine. The culprit that was deceased was Bright Sparks (I think) 2 tiny bulbs I got from a notorious dealer on eBay and he sent me dried up bulbs with the buds poking out that had been cut off! I should have thrown them away right then and there, and this is how they thanked me HaHa. Sorry for venting, but you asked....

Donna

Here is my beautiful Limona...

{{gwi:376142}}

{{gwi:426566}}

13 years ago

Donna,
    Our Limonas were fantastic last year weren't they...I just think the colors seemed more vibrant than usual. So sorry that you have lost some of your favs. Yea, you can buy others to replace them, but it's different when you baby them and get them through a rough spot...then BAM! They get affected. I wonder if they were probably more vulnerable due to a weakened state. Still doesn't make it easy....
    Kristi

13 years ago

Kristi!! These were in the barrel with the infected one. I hope I'm not being naive to think that they might have been spared, no signs of any disease yet.....they still look fine...but they were definitely canoodling with Bright Sparks...am I just fooling myself? I will store these away from my other bulbs though, when I unpot them....I just can't (sob) throw them away.......(sob)and I forgot one, Flair was in there too.............(sob)

Donna

13 years ago

You might store them separately...just in case. Casual canoodling has been the downfall of many an adolescent bulb!! I did pull out one MVI (MV-infected) bulb out of a flower box and the rest seem to be fine still. Hope springs eternal!
    My Limona sends Hippi Zen to your Limona...
    {{gwi:391146}}

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

[quote]joshy46013:That is for a form of Mosaic Virus in my opinion, I would discard it[/quote]
    [quote]dondeldux 6b:Looks like a match to me, I wouldn't take any chances... [/quote]
    :-)))

13 years ago

HUH?!
    K

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

kaboehm,
    It`s your question to my?
    So, these plants as diseased as my Limona. LoL

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:426546}}

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

I`m apologize for link, this:

Here is a link that might be useful: 1001092u

13 years ago

Sorry Oleg9grower....those photos are of perfectly healthy beautiful Limona blooms. Sorry if there was confusion. Our blooms had particulary vibrant color last year due (at least in TX) to the cold winter! There's no problem...just my bloom sending flowery wishes to Donna's. There was a whole conversation last winter about how colorful the blooms were. Don't be confused by the veining in the blooms and the mosaic on the leaves. They are not related.
    Kristi

PS...your links just go to the homepage of an imagesharing site. Not your photo.
    K

13 years ago

Have I missed something...I'm a bit confused....as to the purpose of the last 2 links...so far neither Kristi's or my Limona is infected....we don't want any misunderstanding due to language difficulties....

13 years ago

Do great minds work alike or what??

13 years ago

Yep...they do (although I was tempted to say, "What?"!)
    :-) I totally didn't understand and hope that the poster doesn't think that our plants have mosaic because the blooms have that veining pattern!! Poor Gordie...he is really veiny!!
    K

• oleg9grower
    13 years ago

[quote]Posted by radarcontactlost 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 14:26
    Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 15:56[quote/]
    These above not virus diseased,imho.:-)
    [URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/i/1001092u.jpg/][IMG]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6680/1001092u.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

**If** I bring in the diseased plants this winter, they'll be segregated somewhere far away from the others.

Although I usually let my plants overwinter, dormant in their pots, I may very well clean them off and give them a physan dip after they start dormancy. All the old potting material goes to the dump this time.

Be very careful of cross-contamination--virus travels on your hands, knives, pots, etc. I imagine that old clay pots could be sterilized by thorough oven heating--I would do at least 325*F for an hour.

Good luck!

--Rr

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

You're right, it is spread via pots too, plastic pots need to be soaked in a bleach solution too. There are many sites you can google to get information about soaking tools and pots.

13 years ago

One of my bulbs was in a plastic pot, that is gone, the other however was in one of my fairly expensive "rose" clay pots. I have marked the inside of that pot so that next year I will plant geraniums in it....couldn't bring myself to throw it away...maybe I'll try the oven treatment....will store it in the "other" shed, the one with all my husband's junk in it.......
    Rick, so you decided not to dispose of your suspect bulbs?...how many do you have?

Donna

13 years ago

I would think running it through the dishwasher, or soaking it in bleach would take care of it!

Just a thought!
    K

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've heard that some pathogens are resistant up to 450*, so some serious heat is required to be sure they're killed. Dishwasher may not be enough, and I would just discard any plastic pots that are suspect.

I never even knew that hippi's were vulerable to tmv until this year...ignorant bliss...

I will keep my infected plants seperate and see how they look when they start again, but I am strongly inclined to chuck them because they're nothing all that special...

--Rr

13 years ago

...and here I was taught in biology class that viruses are actually pretty vulnerable. You can bet I waxed poetic on this dang virus to the garden club ladies...teach them early!
    :-)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Clay pots are porous so I've heard a soaking isn't sufficient.

Hippeastrum are actually very susceptible to Hippeastrum Mosaic Virus (HMV) which also effects a lot of the Amaryllid tribes. Keeping clean tools, pots and potting mix is very important! Spreading is easiest by aphids, controlling aphids with a good insecticide is a really good idea to keep the virus from spreading.

While virus is a part of life, it's natural, it'll eventually cause a plant to lose vegetative vigor and could ultimately cease flowering and could cause bulb death.

Virus will happen just as mold, fungus, rot or insects happen, the only thing we can do is try to take care of it as it comes. This is something that comes with gardening and growing these wonderful plants, just a people get sick, plants do as well. I choose to try and eliminate virus as much as possible so the plants I do have will have a long healthy and reproductive life!

Josh

• ryan820
    13 years ago

Here's my two cents...

After obsessing over the possibility that some of my beloved plants have the MV, I have decided to keep them. I'm fortunate (thanks to the Great Recession) to have bought a property that has loads of room and therefore, the suspected plants will live far away from the rest. Many of those I suspect are virused are special to me. I will attempt to pollinate the ones that I can, but knowing genetics, its a crapshoot!

Regarding pots and sanitizing....

I can't say whether or not what Josh says what he heard is true or not; however, I can tell you of my experience. I grow all of my hippies hydroponically... same with my orchids. The medium is called hydroton and is essentially expanded clay-- same stuff as the clay pots we use. The pots and the hydroton are porous and porous enough to absorb sanitizers and even bleach. In fact, its difficult to rinse these things out!

However, the key is time. When I sanitize hydroton, it goes into a bucket with a bleach solution for a month plus.

Having spoken with master gardeners who grow their orchids the same way as I, I can tell you them do the same and never passed any illnesses.

Take this with a grain of salt-- but it has worked for me.

• shodack78
    13 years ago

Here I am,bringing up a post from a while back, but I just wanted to say thanks for all of this good information.
    The 'Minerva' that bloomed for me before Christmas sent up leaves, and I'm almost certain it's infected. I'm going to throw it away, pot and all, and hope that's it. Oh well...

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I noticed that some of the Lowe's bulbs I got were infected, all of the "Oskar" :( I'm holding onto them until the spring and I'm going to plant them on the side of the house in a protected spot to see if they can make it :)

Where did you get your "Minerva"?

13 years ago

Josh, So you think your Lowe's Oskars are infected...we should all take a closer look at ours, I gave mine to my father, will take a closer look at it, but I didn't detect anything yet, but will look more closely. Do you mind posting some pictures of what you are suspicious of...an awful lot of us on this forum bought an awful lot of bulbs from Lowe's;-(

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna, I'll post some pictures in a bit :( It's really sad because I LOVED my Oskars :(

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think my first infected hippi was White Christmas, but since it was given to me I'm not sure of the source. One of the 'big box' stores was the most likely supplier.

Joshy--why bother planting infected bulbs outdoors? They're just a reservoir for more infection via insects and other vectors. Chuck'em...(imho).

--Rr

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions