Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
September Bloom

Posted by catnip85 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 12:11

Hi All. Im new to the forum and I've reading a lot of the posts and they have been helpful. My question is I recently got into growing Amaryllis the past two years. I have planted my bulbs in the ground the past two years and they have doing great. They get full sun and fertilized. I stopped fertilizing them in beginning of August. They bloomed late spring and now one of them has a bloom coming up, it is blooming twice and it is September. Im concerned cause I live in NJ and I know I'll be bringing them indoors in a few weeks. Have you all experienced any ones blooming in september? I don't remember exactly what type of species it was, just remember getting them from Smith and Hawkin if that helps any.

Here is a photo, I took it this morning.

Gardens 054

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: September Bloom

Excellent! A new lister who can post photos!! Yipee!!

Your bulbs look very happy! And that scape will probably be blooming within a couple of weeks, so you should be safe! Worst case scenario...dig around it and plot it into a pot so that you can enjoy it inside!! I wish we would get some cooler weather here in Texas. Would you send some our way??

Please post a photo of the bloom and we will do our best to ID it for you! Bet it's red...seeing a little color at the base of the leave and on the bud gives a little hint as to what is to come.

GREAT JOB!
Kristi

o

Thanks so much for the input.

IMAG0191

It finally bloomed today! It looks like a blossom peacock. It even has a two bulbets. It is one happy bulb.

o

Wow very nice flower!

o

Hi Catnip, it sure is a Blossom Peacock! A pretty one too. BP is my favorite. Ryan in Denver (aka Denver Ryan) just had his BP bloom as well. I guess it's just one of those ones that likes to bloom at random times. It's also one of those ones that throws off bulblets pretty reliably - I get two / year from mine. Sometimes folks get a trade going and I've used my bulblets to trade for other types, and also make friends. Congrats on your flower. Alana

o

HI Alana and karanb1r,

Thanks for the input! I've been thinking about it that about trading over different ones. I have other bulbs that have bulblets too! But I don't remember what they are. Im going to be tagging my bulbs from now on since I started to grow them within the past two years. Its becoming a hobby.

Jessica

o

Jessica, I agree, tagging is now a necessary chore when you have more bulbs than you can remember. It took me awhile to get a tagging system down. Last summer I had marked them on plastic with a Sharpie pen - which washed off. I had to wait till they bloomed this spring to know which they were again.

Alana

o

I cant wait until my flowers bloom so i can get a definite ID on them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here