Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo3ponies

Is it possible to store amaryllis bulbs for spring planting???

jo3ponies
9 years ago

I was just gifted a tub (probably around a hundred) amaryllis bulbs from a relative that is selling their house and moving. I have amaryllis that have been growing outdoors in beds for years but don't have a bed prepared for this many bulbs. Should I just dig up an area to get them in the ground as soon as possible or is there a recommended way to store them till spring? They were dug yesterday so I need to know quickly so I won't lose them.

Comments (5)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Wow, that would be overwhelming for anyone!
    So..what kind if amaryllis are these? Are the 100 of the same kind, so you already know what color they'll be?

You have 2 choices in Zone 7, and since it's nearly October you can either store them or plant them.

If you plant them, I would try to space them out a bit as the roots can get very tangled when they are crowded, which will make it only a little tougher when you replant them in the spring. I might also trim the leaves back to 10" or so. They likely have long strappy leaves, which will get torn/twisted as you plant them. With shorter leaves they'll be a bit easier to handle. I figure a cut leaf is easier to deal with than a torn leaf. If you plant them, I wouldn't expect them to send up new growth this year (over the next 3 months), unless we have an odd warm autumn! Make sure you mulch them heavily with leaves, etc before the weather turns cold!

The alternative is to lay out several layers of newspaper and lay them out where it's cool and dry, to spend the winter. The leaves will die back and they'll go through a dormancy. Then you can plant them exactly where you want them as soon as the danger of frost passes.

Good luck! What a great gift!
    Kristi

• jo3ponies
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much. I've been watching them bloom for years (about 20) but don't know the variety. I do know they are red and will look beautiful in my landscape. They would be an old variety since they have been there so long. The bulbs were very crowded and bunched but some had blooms on them. I think I'll take the 2nd option and store them so I can put some thought (and soil prep) into planting in the spring. What an amazing group you are! Thank you Kristi! Send me your address and I'll gift you some bulbs if you like.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

With 100 bulbs, you may like to consider splitting up their storage options, so that you don't lose all 100 (assuming something negatively happens).

For example, I might say, 25% in storage option A, 25% in storage option B, 10-20% planted, etc

That's just an idea. Otherwise, using typical known storage methods like kaboem mentions, you should be OK doing that also.

9 years ago

I'm glad this has bumped up to the top!

Jo3ponies, what did you decide to do with yours?

Kristi

9 years ago

Oops...cleaning out the garage fridge and found MORE bulbs left over from last fall. Sigh.... Nothing too exciting, 3 H. Wedding Dance and 1 H. Razzle Dazzle. They were still firm, although they had lots of loose layers. I potted them up...2 were showing fresh scape tips.

These things want to live! I am amazed.

The fridge is now jam packed with almost 750 assorted bulbs that I am storing for a local fall mart next weekend...assorted spring bulbs (bagged assortments of daffodils, crocus, tulips, snowflakes and grape muscari), paperwhites, hyacinths, and Hippis! YIKES!! I opened the door and a bag of hippis tumbled out.

BY THE WAY, these "Plain Jane" bulbs (Red Lion, Apple Blossom, Denver, etc) are pretty big this year, so I hope that the SPECIAL ones we have all ordered for ourselves are in such fine shape!!

K