Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
br33_gw

new bulbs

br33
12 years ago

I just bought 27 new mature Amaryllis bulbs from Holland. ( lemon star--white linett--apple bloom--amaryllis red ) They will be grown outside. Should they be planted out side now or be planted inside to bloom this winter and then put outside in spring? Thanks Bill

Comments (12)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Bill...the FAQ should have some answers for you...but realize that these came to you all ready to bloom, so to put them outside might be "iffy" over the winter (in zone 8 I've had bulbs freeze). Since they are ready to bloom, why don't you put them in the fridge if you want to delay blooms for a couple of months...and let them bloom inside, then get them settled outside when the danger of frost has passed. You might over winter them with a really heavy layer of mulch, but I wouldn't risk it their first year.
    Just my thoughts...look at the FAQ!
    K

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

If you place them in the fridge, use the Suzie's ethylene bags as ethylene can kill the inner buds within.

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Bill, I'd pot them up inside now and enjoy them for the winter, then turn them out in the garden in the spring. That's what I do with mine anyway, and it seems to work best. Our winters here in Raleigh are a little colder than yours, but I think the roots needs to establish well before they spend the winter outside.

Looks like you've got a great selection - they're going to look great!

Alana

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alana, our weather is close enough alike that I should follow your methods and do just fine. I`m thinking(gets me in trouble)that planting 5 in pots every 2 weeks and move them out side 1st of april would be a good plan. What do you think? Bill

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Bill, I love having 3 or 5 in pots - depending on pot size. They look so good when the bloom in multiples. Then putting them outside early April is perfect. That will give them ample time to get established and have a good strong growing season. I also mulch mine in the fall, or just let the leaves collect around the bulb tops to protect them. Anything above ground won't make it.

Alana

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you ever dig and seperate outside bulbs?

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have 2--2 gal. pots 15" Diamater. Putting 3 bulbs in each. one pot with miacle gro potting soil. one with my mix with 60% natures helper 20% perlite 20% peat. Putting them in hot house with heating pad, WHAT TEMP.____ SETTING? My guess 80% for how long ____? Any other advice===PLEASE=== Thanks Bill

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Hi Bill, I don't use a heating pad. I generally put them near a window so that they will get some direct sunlight. I find that warms them up enough. Also, I just use straight potting soil as it's much easier and I figure I'm replanting them in a few months so I can just not over-water until then - but it'll be interesting to see how your experiment turns out.

Alana

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alana, for the info. ? on fert. I`m thinking half strength M.G.liqued when I water.What do you think.
    GOOD LUCK Bill

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alana, for the info. ? on fert. I`m thinking half strength M.G.liqued when I water.What do you think.
    GOOD LUCK Bill

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Yes I think that's probably good. I use the Miracle Grow potting soil which they say is good for 3 months - almost till I get them outside. If you're using a mix with fert in it be careful of adding too much via watering - folks have posted pics here of burnt leaves from doing that.

I've been experimenting with what I use outside the past few years. I found that using some slow release has been best for me, so that they get continuous fert even during rainy spells (when fertilizing during watering doesn't happen).

Alana

• br33
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANKS, when do you seperate outside bulbs and how do you know when they are ready to seperate. Bill