Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
telle52

Amaryllis bulb rot

Telle52
9 years ago

I was google hunting and found posts for this subject, but once I joined I couldn't find them again... forgive me for reopening this subject as I am sure many are tired of the same old story.
Last Christmas my daughter and her boyfriend gave me a beautiful amaryllis in bloom. It's been doing fabulous, feeling firm and being healthy... up until now. 2-3 weeks ago it was still nice and firm, and today... it squished when I felt it. I immediately removed it from its pot and rinsed and washed it gently, It STUNK... At this time, this is what I have. Is there any way possible I can save any part of it??

Comments (12)

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the bottom.

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the opposite side of the bulb

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

OH NO!!! Was it growing inside or outside? In a pot with good drainage or not? Those answers will supply some hints for better answers!!

For starters I would let it dry for a day or so. Can you dust it with Captan or cinnamon (a natural antifungal)? Let us know the answers to determine if cause was care or insect and we'll go from there!!!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I second the OH NO!!!

The only thing this poor bulbs has going for it is several surprisingly healthy and strong roots!

I would sit the bulb over a glass of water with just the tips of several of the roots in water and let what's left of the bulb totally dry out. Then do as Kristi suggests and powder it with cinnamon or Captan if you can get your hands on some. After several more drying days I would sit it on top of some new soil (roots buried of course) and water the roots sparingly and hope for the best.

Seriously, I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing this poor baby bloom for many years even if it does live.

Christmas is just around the corner so why not ask your daughter and her boyfriend for another?

Donnaâºâºâº

9 years ago

There is an interesting post on this forum (recent) about propagation from a basal plate....you could get little offspring from this bulb. Give it a quick look and see what you think! Those roots are pretty strong for such a sad "bulb".
    K

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was in the same pot it was given to me in - a plastic pot with good drainage, set in a clay pot. It's been living there since I received it and been doing great... up until just these last couple weeks... I have been very careful not to overwater. When the leaves died back I left it alone. We are doing some remodeling, so the location of it was a north window in a north and east room - the brightest room I have in the house at this moment, but NOT the warmest! I am afraid the coolness of the room may have had something to do with it.. I was surprised myself at how healthy/strong those roots are.. I went to try and remove more of that brown part on the stalk and... I about cried when the top fell off!!! It's now roots with the basal plate... it's very clean now... and I did happen to see the post with propagation from a basal plate and I hoping beyond hope it will sprout! I will let it dry for a day or two, and replace the soil and put just the roots in.. I have cinnamon, but no captan.. Any thoughts on root growth hormone???

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh... Should I dust with cinnamon now... or after drying for a few days??
    Daughter and boyfriend broke up, she is now with fiance...
    I honestly don't care when it bloom.. I just want it to LIVE and have the potential to bloom some year.

• blancawing
    9 years ago

You received excellent advice from Kristi and Donna.
    I would just add that sulfur powder is a helpful, readily available fungicide.
    Please let us know if your basal plate produces offsets.

Good luck!

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I honestly don't care when it bloom.. I just want it to LIVE and have the potential to bloom some year.

• Telle52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

9 years ago

You can dust it now and then let dry...sorry!!
    Maybe this is a silly question, but did the clay pot have drainage, or were you using it as a pot sleeve?
    Good luck!
    Kristi

• janartmuse
    9 years ago

Poor you. I hope it works out. Send along another post in the future, should it recover! If the clay pot had no drainage, that might explain things. My sister drowned an orchid that way. Very distressing to lose a beloved plant. Boy, I hope yours is a fighter... Janine

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA