Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Amaryllis Seedlings

I love amaryllis (hippeastrum). I am partial to pinks so I only grow pinks. (I have given away oranges and reds and ANYTHING striped to my sisters and friends. They are just not my thing.) Some of you may recall when I ended up with orange bulbs and red bulbs a few years back and just hated them! Haha!) No more - I just do my own thing from my own crosses. I probably have around 100-150 pinks in my yard. I keep them all in the ground year-round.

During the spring when they are blooming, I actively pollinate the flowers to produce seed. I use a small, soft watercolor paintbrush. Because of the pollination, I usually get lots of seed and I collect it for planting. Well, guess what, about two weeks ago, I FINALLY got around to planting them! I planted 18 cell-packs: each cell-pak has 9 compartments, each planted with two seeds. Today I have seedlings! It took just under two weeks for them to germinate! If I get 100% germination, I would have 324 plants! Woo-hoo! Here are photos.

(The plants to the right of the cell-packs are prior year seedlings that I need to get into the ground.)

It's always fun to see what blooms in a few years since these are all crosses.

{{gwi:426839}}

{{gwi:373306}}

{{gwi:426840}}

{{gwi:426841}}

Comments (17)

• ryan820
    14 years ago

You have a ton of seedlings and plants! Very nice! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

So you only like Pink? What about crosses like Gervase, that are striped pink? Do they still make it into the mix?

Ryan

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ryan, I had to google Gervase to see how it looks. It is pretty. I don't have any, but it would be a keeper! It's unlikely that I will get any Gervase because I have all the bulbs I want through my own crosses. But I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers! :)

• phoenixryan
    14 years ago

hehe, I haven't thought of that Barbara Mandrell song in ages! Bit of a blast from the past ;-)

Great looking seedlings! Can't wait to see some photos of the blooms from your crosses.

Keep us posted. Maybe Denver Ryan or I can send you some pollen from Gervase when we get ours this fall.

Phoenix Ryan

Original Author
    14 years ago

That would be fun! I would be happy to send you pollen in return, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the name of it!

• e36yellowm3
    14 years ago

Wow - all those pink blooms. I can see why you love your yard ;-) I'm hoping you post pics when they're in bloom - it must look spectacular! Alana

Original Author
    14 years ago

Update on the seedlings. Seeds were planted on 8/29. These photos were taken on 9/17. Seedlings are 20 days old:

{{gwi:426842}}

{{gwi:426844}}

{{gwi:373307}}

{{gwi:373308}}

• ladyaustin96
    14 years ago

Awwwww your hippi babies are so cute!! I have some seedlings to transplant soon...they have been bathing for a few weeks...LOL and I have several "tots" one year olds and two year olds. They are doing splendidly and I am looking forward to playing with them when my weather cools here in Florida. I tried direct sow this year and had 50% success...can't wait to pollinate and make more next year!

Kim

• jodik_gw
    14 years ago

Wow! It's this sort of thread that makes me wish I lived in a warm enough climate to grow hippeastrums in the garden all year 'round! I'm so totally out of space that I've got seedlings from this spring currently living in the basement under lights!

I'm not sure where I'm gonna put everybody when they get too big for community pots!

Way to grow! Nice seedlings!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Ryan, I do have Charisma. Still haven't any Gervase. But I am going to try some Charisma pollinations this year.

Carol

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Carol,

I have a second stalk of Gervase about to open most likely with 4 flowers..would you like some pollen? I tried unsuccessfully to pollenate with the first scape..but I know it can work since I have some seedlings Gervase x Jasmine given to me by someone (or the other way around, I can't get up to check, the cat is sitting in my lap)(most likely Jasmine x Gervase as Gervase doesn't seem want to produce viable seed pods) so I know it can work and they are are doing beautifully. Be more than glad to send you plenty of Gervase's pollen..let me know if you'd like some..

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    13 years ago

Charisma is a good mother and seedlings have a large variation.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, I would the THRILLED to have some pollen! You are so kind to offer. I will contact you via email.

Arif, thanks for the encouragement on Charisma! I will try that one as well.

Carol

• dragonstone
    13 years ago

love_the_yard, I was wondering - how long has it taken from seed to a fully grown bulb that's blooming? I planted my first batch of seeds back in 2007 and have my fingers crossed that at least one bulb will finally bloom this year!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Usually they take around three years. But lots of factors can influence that. Do you have yours in pots or in the ground? It will go faster if they are in the ground, if they are getting adequate water and the right amount of light. Amaryllis roots are normally about 1 - 2 feet long, which they can't develop in pots very well. Also, the ideal amount of light is dappled light and shade. They just love being under large trees. They can and will grow in full sun or full shade, but part sun/part shade is best.

What bulbs did you cross? Please post photos when you get your blooms!

Carol

• dragonstone
    13 years ago

Wow! Quick response! :)

From 2007 to 2010, they grew in a big flower box. A little after spring of 2010, I stuck them in the ground.

This is a picture from the bed last year: Amaryllis Bed. The middle clump are the ones that I grew from seeds.

They also get full sun. I used Google to look around and it seemed like the best option was for full sun? I do have a banana plant there though. I expect it might get big enough this year to cast some shade. hehe.

I also fertilized regularly as I was told this would help them along.

I don't know their official names but the seeds came from the red Amaryllis that have a bit of white/yellow to their 'throat'.

There's also two other Amaryllis in there. There's one deep red Amaryllis - no other color to it. And there's one pink/white Amaryllis.

I don't know if they've been cross-pollinated. I just know at the time that the 'mother' is the red w/colored throat. I had a lot of red w/colored throat blooming at the time before I collected the seeds.

None of the amaryllis anywhere have sent up flower buds yet so I'm still hoping.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Pretty yard!

You're a full zone cooler than me, so they may do fine in full sun. Mine get a bit stressed from May - September in full sun, although I do have some in full sun. I only have so many trees and sides of the house. :)

I can't be sure from the photos, but yours look planted very closely together. Look like they might benefit from some spacing?

Carol

• dragonstone
    13 years ago

Thank you!

Yeah, they are cramped. I'll have to eventually get in there and start spreading them out.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions