Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum papilio x brasilianum -- F1 Hybrid

joshy46013
12 years ago

Hi guys,

Here is a hybrid with H. papilio being the mother parent and H. brasilianum the pollen! It's VERY beautiful and fragrant :)

{{gwi:426912}}

Comments (18)

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Wonderful and very promising hybrid, congratulations Josh!
    :=)
    How much had flowers on the scape and a diameter of the flower?

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oleg,

There are four flowers per scape, I haven't measured but the flowers are a bit bigger than H. papilio!

Josh

• haweha
    12 years ago

Do you have other seedlings from this hybridization, and how many years did you require to obtain the first bloom?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

And what was the diameter at brasilianum and how much flowers?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Wow Josh! Is this your creation? Very very lovely..I'm still waiting for my h. papilio seedling to bloom..a few of them are much bigger than the others..hope they are as pretty as yours...

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys,

Oleg -- I'm not sure the diameter of the brasilianum bulb, it's quite large but it has 4 flowers a scape.

Hans -- I had another seedling that I traded a while back and it was about 3 years to bloom.

Donna -- Yes, it's mine, it was my first ever cross about three years ago :)

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Sorry, but I wanted to ask about the diameter of the flower brasilianum to compare with papillio.

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oleg,

I'm not sure of the diameter, I haven't measured but the flowers. They're trumpet shaped and quite long and most trumpet shaped flowers aren't as big but the flowers are a nice size!

Josh

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Josh do you ever save pollen and freeze it?

• rainlilygarden
    12 years ago

Hello Josh,
    Do you remember me??

• heinie
    12 years ago

That is a real beauty Josh and four flowers too.

Heinie

• hippeastrumadmirer
    12 years ago

Congratulations It is gorgeous, if you don't mind please tell me what does "F1" stand for in hybrid?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

This means that the first generation of seedlings from this set of parents, that is, the direct descendants - children, in contrast to F2, the second generation of seedlings from the cross-pollination among themselves. :)

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, it's a incredibly beautiful plant that I'm proud of!

Mike, Oleg is correct, this is the first generation cross of the two species listed.

Josh

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

joshy:
    ...it's a incredibly beautiful plant that I'm proud of!"

Yes, and there is much to be proud. :)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Josh,

Me thinks you should name such a beauty...a name tends to stick in our heads (mine anyway)for future reference..and it definitely is a beauty and you should be very proud...it will be interesting to see if it sets offsets readily like papilio..it that also a trait of brasilianum?...;-)

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Oleg ;)

Donna, my brasilianum offsets steadily but not nearly as fast as H. papilio but then again none of my plants offset quite as fast as other peoples? I wonder why?

I'm horrible with names, I'd love some suggestions? ;)

• blancawing
    12 years ago

Oooh! After years of waiting patiently - when they finally decide to bloom - I hope my little cluster of this cross produces blooms that are nearly as lovely as yours.

Hmmm...papilianum... papillianum???

Have you tried the reverse cross? I haven't. It could be brasilio.

Best,

Blanca

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions