Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Berbee US

Here is the message I got when I inquired about their prices...they sent me the price list, but...see my concerns below.

We are a wholesale flower bulb company.

We sell to garden centers, greenhouses, landscapers, etc.

We�d recommend for buying quality amaryllis, visit

www.amaryllis.com

thank you

1) they seem to specialize in BOX kits, which many of us found to be really disposable last year as we had more problem than ever with virus. FRANK....you don't want to add this to your indoor collection...the virus that is!!

2) they recommend ABC....which has also been problematic in the past

3) when I was in Holland last year for the Amaryllis show, growers and distributors suggested that it would take a few years to clear up the problem with the mislabeled bulbs. NEEDLESS TO SAY...I will stick with my usual sources that I get reliable quality from.

K

PS...perhaps most exciting will be that some of my own creations will bloom this season!

Comments (11)

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

OOH, Kristi, I'm so excited to see some of your crosses when they bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think crosses are much more fun than bulb buying, I guess it's the thought of something so new!

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

kaboehm:

I spoke to Mr. Berbee this morning and he told me that they will also sell retail. I specifically asked him if bulbs could be purchased retail,...he said, yes, no problem.

What's the warning about virus? Are growers selling contaminated bulbs to retailers/wholesalers in the US, and how will I know if the bulb(s) are infected?

I have no idea to what you are referring when you say: "They recommend ABC" What/who is ABC?

Now, on to mislabeled bulbs, ....is this a problem? Is this something else I have to worry about????

Please, can you list some reputable sources for Hippeastrum bulbs that are accurately labeled, and disease-free.

Thanks for the information.

Frank

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Frank...welcome to the world of amaryllis where there are no guarantees!!! Yes, Burbee appears to sell retail, but the pricing is for wholesale, etc as per my posting above.

So...
    I am work and don't have too much time to reply in length. Here are MY OPINIONS on your questions.

Viruses...yes...this is something to worry about. There are lots of HEATED posts about virus and what to do. What are the cures? THROWING OUT EVERY BULB YOU HAVE THAT MIGHT SHOW SIGNS! Some on this list have burned thousands of bulbs (that's tens of thousands of dollars worth). Yes growers are selling bulbs with virus. None will admit it, and you will know when the leaves grow out with streaks. You can send leaves off for electron microscopy to confirm. Even our best sources end up with a bad bulb here and there...sad....virused bulbs bloom (and even thrive for some), but many feel that virused bulbs have no place. Some of us (me) grow them in quarantine under strict "no touch" screened houses.

ABC is Amaryllis Bulb Company. Maybe someone on the list will share. I have avoided them based on info given to me years ago. It wasn't worth the risk as I recall.

Mislabeled bulbs?? HAHAHAHHA(sorry) This is a hugs problem even for specific hybrids ordered from top notch distributors. When I was in Holland I was told it would take years to clean up one grower's mess. The good news is that if you provide adequate proof that you didn't get what you ordered, any reputable seller will replace the bulb or give you a store credit.

Please look on the FAQ for more resources. I think we can all agree that Royal Colors in Lisse, The Netherlands have been reliable and great to deal with. We got some stressed bulbs last season, but most of us agreed that this wasn't the seller's fault...and we hoped that with TLC the bulbs would be fine. Blooming Bulbs seems to be OK. Avoid TyTy if you can (the mixups on their webpage should be enough to convince you).

We are actually late in the ordering season...so at this point, what you see on sites is what is out there. Special pricing won't occur again till January and then it will be hit and miss on selection.

Hope that helps,
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Frank,

Most all of us are living with some virused bulbs..sequestered from the rest..and.. as most of us don't sell bulbs or knowingly pass virused bulbs to friends, we live with it. I have several and if you read some of the past threads (on this forum) about virused bulbs you will see that you can even have a virused bulb and not even know it as some preform just fine, year after year..and not until the end of summer when the bulbs go through a bit of stress are you even aware of it!!

As for mislabeled bulbs, I will admit that things weren't quite as bad as the previous year, but since you seem to be going out on a limb for these hard to find varieties, I hope you don't find yourself sorely disappointed..but, I must say some of my best bulbs found their way to me through a mislabel..but then, my tastes aren't as refined as yours...;-)

Donna

12 years ago

This is not very good news to read. No, not at all.

I was, WAS, very enthusiastic about starting on yet another plant-growing adventure, but, I must say, the wind is definitely out of my sails. I'm not even sure at this point, if I want to even venture into growing these plants. Whatever I do at this point, I cannot say. The bulbs that I planned to order from Berbee Bulbs will not be in stock until the beginning of October, so between now and then, I'll think about what to do . I'll probably end up buying a few bulbs, growing them until they flower, and look for signs of disease....maybe I'll get lucky. If they turn out to be dogs....in the garbage they go!

I tend to be driven when it comes to certain plants that strike my fancy, and will go to great lengths to find what I want. Now after reading all the warnings, that obsession will not happen when it comes to Amaryllis. I don't have the growing room to waste on lousy performing plants, or mislabeled plants, and with my pathetically short attention span, I just simply toss.

kristi/Donna, et al. ...thank-you one and all for letting me know what I might be getting into. You saved me a lot of grief, and money. I also grow Figs in containers, and have searched for the best performing varieties that will do well in my short growing season. I sent for small trees that were grown by west coast wholesalers, payed big money for shipping, only to receive plants infected with Fig Mosaic Virus, which has no cure. Of course, no grower was aware that their plants were infected when I called to complain. Yeah, right! Nobody knows nothin' So, caveat emptor.

I'm grateful that I learned about these Hippeastrum problems now instead of later.

Happy growing,

Frank/BronxFigs

12 years ago

Frank!!

Please don't let our (what we thought would be helpful) warnings dissuade you from giving hippeastrums a try..there are many very lovely healthy plants out there to test the waters with..you owe it to yourself to do a little research (most websites have great pictures) and try several varieties..should at the very least bloom around the holidays for you..Certainly try your Red Velvet and try Benfica and maybe a few more reds and do a "taste test" let us know which you like the best and be sure to post pictures..

After all, we addicts all just started with a few bulbs.....

Best,

Donna

12 years ago

One more thought...All this information was just to inform you of the pitfalls out there .. certainly not to change your mind..if you do.. we will feel very guilty and you don't want us to feel guilty now do you? The last thing any of us want to do is scare away another potential addict...

12 years ago

Please, please, do not feel that I have been turned-off to growing Hipps. I admit that I was disgusted to learn that so many pitfalls were lurking in the wings, ready to cut my growing pleasures off at the knees, but I come from Da-Bronx, NYC....Do you really think some diseased, mislabeled plants, full of exotic virus infections, would stop me????? I needed to learn exactly what I will be facing, and you guys did me a favor and set me straight. You told me the truth as you know it. Thanks, really. Now I'll grow with eyes wide open, instead of with eyes wide shut. My expectations will be tempered with a huge dose of reality. Isn't that what always happens?

Yes, yes, "ROYAL VELVET" and "BOUQUET" will be growing happily on my windowsill shortly. Besides, I already bought special pots, so I have to order the bulbs now.

Bye for now.

Frank

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Buying, you can not be sure of what you are getting (including virus).
    Breeding is more fun, you get what others dont have and virus free.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frank,
    Arif is right, and his crosses are a beautiful example. Search the site for posts by him and you will see some of the most unusual and beautiful blooms! Note that Arif has virused plants and has chosen to let them be since he can still enjoy the beautiful blooms. Virus is a hot topic...there is no middle ground! Do some searches on the list and you'll find whatever you need to help you on your way to growing hippeastrum.

I am glad you weren't discouraged. As you said, you are going in with eyes wide open. I don't think many of us had half the info you now possess when we started!

Keep us posted and make sure you post photos when they bloom, especially Bouquet!!
    :-)
    Kristi

12 years ago

Yes, all the information is very helpful, and like I said, I'm buying some bulbs, and I'll take my chances. Throwing away plants isn't a problem for me. I've thrown out a small fortune worth of plants over the years, and will not hesitate to toss these newer bulbs either.

I'm sure anyone who has the time, and growing space, would/should start a breeding program to create new, future beauties. A laudable endeavor. However, one of my many vices, is, lack of patience. I could never wait for the results. That's a game not for the faint-of-heart. At this point in my life, I'd rather buy the results. Best of luck to those who pursue this course.

Great hearing from you all, and thanks for the help. I have already benefited from your experiences.

Frank-BronxFigs

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner