Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

My Blossom Peacock

I've had this Blossom Peacock for about 5 years and only the very first year have I been able to get 4 flowers. This variety produces offsets like mad and grows a fairly large bulb but not more than 2 flowers for me ever again! But, this year I finally got good color rather than the very pale pink that I've had for the past years. I guess good color is better than nothing. so here she is..Blossom Peacock which I decided to pick as the pedicels were so long..good for a tiny vase. My only summer flower....it's still summer isn't it?

Has anyone else been able to rebloom this with the customary 4 flowers?

Donna

{{gwi:426946}}

Comments (8)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Mine had 3 and a 4th bud shriveled. Yours is beautiful, too bad it's not blue!!
    Haha
    K

• dangles
    10 years ago

it is very lovely donna very much like millennium star regards and happy growing Danny

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually Danny, I'm almost convinced that Blossom Peacock and Millennium Star are one in the same...of course not positive but they are pretty darn close. I wonder if Millenium Star has a problem producing more than two flowers. I 'think' I can see that Maguires has used this in breeding quite a few of their other very pretty doubles. What do you think?
    I did a cross of Tangelino x Blossom Peacock from way back when and they still haven't bloomed although they are growing right along..Don't ask me why I made that cross, sometimes I just put together what is available at the time without much thought..I don't do that nowadays (much)...

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Well I will watch to see how many flowers this year. Mostly I just love to smell these flowers. Danny, does millennium star have a scent?

-J

• Edie
    10 years ago

Mine just rebloomed with four blooms on a scape, with the first flower opening on my birthday. What a great present. :) She's sending up a second scape now. I've had her since 2011. The first winter, the first scape had four blooms, and the second had lots. I remember counting a dozen buds. They didn't open all at once like Kristy's "bouquet" and I can't remember how many opened but it was amazing. I got one scape last winter and I don't remember anything unusual. This is the first hippi to give me blooms the second year so even if it was only one flower I would have been pleased. This most recent scape was light pink but I think it's beautiful either way.

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Since reading this post last fall, I have been curious to see how my Blossom Peacock fares this year. This is the first of two scapes and it has 4 flowers, though disappointingly pale compared to last year when it was new.
    Bill

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've found Blossom Peacock can really run the gamut as to color. My original bulb from Brent and Becky's got devoured by the Narcissus Bulb Fly but I have several offsets but not one has ever bloomed as gloriously as that very first year when I got 2 scapes simultaneously with 4 flowers each. I never again even got 4 flowers, most always just two but her fragrance kind of makes up for it but I don't really appreciate the long scape with only 2 flowers. In case you never saw my photo of my perfect Blossom Peacock taken in 2008 here she is even though last year I had 2 flowers posted above on this thread with darker color.

Donna

• Edie
    9 years ago

Here is my Blossom Peacock reblooming! My boyfriend gave me a camera for my birthday, so now I can take and post photos! Here's my first attempt to link a photo. I haven't figured out yet how to get the photo directly added to the post. This links to my Flickr stream, which also has lots of screen captures from the Cornell nest cams a couple of years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

This post was edited by edie_h on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 14:31

Sponsored
More Discussions