Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

Maguire's 'Strawberry Blend'

I think I have another favorite, just love the colors of this one...a very tiny bulb so I'm surprised at the almost 5" flowers on a 12" stalk! It catches your eye from a distance...hope somebody else likes it....

{{gwi:427096}}

{{gwi:427097}}

{{gwi:427098}}

Comments (16)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

It's beautiful!!!!! Is that PIXIE DUST I see??
    :-)
    K

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Nice picture, Donna. I love it too - here's mine from last year: {{gwi:427099}}From garden web 2

Alana

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, a little bit of Pixie Dust....and Alana, I think yours is gorgeous a bit more curvaceous than mine...thanks...

{{gwi:427100}}

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Another beauty.....can see why you guys love the OZ imports :o) Dan

13 years ago

I love the vivid pinks!!!
    :-)
    sparkle on!!
    K

• venkyblr
    13 years ago

They are just lovely. A treat to your eye on a dull day. Thank you for sharing Don.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

You are quite the photographer! It's beautiful :)

• ryan820
    13 years ago

The only thing that would make it better is if it smelled like strawberry shortcake. *drool*

O'Ryan

13 years ago

Ryan...you must be hungry!!
    ;-)
    LOL!
    K

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Wow! Mine just finished blooming and the flowers were pale, barely streaked with pink, small and didn't open fully. I'm very disappointed in it.
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    13 years ago

Tally, I've seen pictures of someone else's Strawberry Blend from this order and theirs wasn't optimum either. I think these poor bulbs can be very variable, and if we can get them to live we can look forward to better blooms another year. I must say, that all that have bloomed for me have been great, and Alana's from last years order was beautiful also. I wasn't happy with Pink Panther, but I think I think I just made a bad choice, but quite a few of mine will just be leaves this year, maybe just leaves is better than a disappointing flower.......

Donna

• beachplant
    13 years ago

the others that have bloomed all looked fabulous. We'll see what happens next year.
    Tally Ho!

• primeribs
    13 years ago

Donna, Very stunning! I think I'll have to add it to the list : )

• Universal0ne
    10 years ago

Hello,

I'm new here and really hope I'm doing this correctly
    Can anybody please tell me how one might go about
    Getting one of these? I live in the USA and am told
    By Australian growers that it FAR TOO EXPENSIVE
    to buy from oz and import
    Yet I recall when in my 20s, last century, there was a
    Man named Don Rix whom I bought from frequently
    Don't know what became of him
    Can anybody help me buy one
    PLEASE? Thanks so much. Now what do i do?

• Universal0ne
    10 years ago

Ok plain and simple
    I WILL BUY AN OFFSET FROM ANYBODY
    WHO WILL SELL ME ONE
    PLEASE, THANKS

Original Author
    10 years ago

UniversalOne,

I agree that Strawberry Blend is a gorgeous flower! Unfortunately mine is long gone; it got cooked in extreme heat on a south facing deck the first summer I owned it. I had my plants on a table close to the house and I guess it was even hotter close to the wall with not much air flow and this one turned to mush; the only one this happened to.

The next year when there was another group order I wanted to order another but they weren't offering it that particular year so I bought a Grantly which was quite close but not quite as pretty with less white in it but pretty none the less. The same gorgeous cerise pink. I had bulbs planted in a whiskey barrel and when I pulled them I must have missed Grantly somehow as it has just disappeared. Fortunately I did get some seedling of Christmas Gift (white) by Grantly so maybe I'll be lucky enough to reproduce the gorgeous pink. I would guess that Strawberry Blend and Grantly were sister seedlings.

Good Luck in your quest, maybe you could ask someone from Australia on this forum to buy you a couple of bulbs and send them to you. It's much easier to send out of Australia than into it...

If you go through listings on EBay you will find a seller based in Australia who sells a few Maguire's bulbs. Sometimes the names are different...

Donna