Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maguire's 'Strawberry Blend'

Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 15:56

I think I have another favorite, just love the colors of this one...a very tiny bulb so I'm surprised at the almost 5" flowers on a 12" stalk! It catches your eye from a distance...hope somebody else likes it....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maguire's 'Strawberry Blend'

It's beautiful!!!!! Is that PIXIE DUST I see??
:-)
K

o

Nice picture, Donna. I love it too - here's mine from last year:
From garden web 2

Alana

o

Yup, a little bit of Pixie Dust....and Alana, I think yours is gorgeous a bit more curvaceous than mine...thanks...

o

Another beauty.....can see why you guys love the OZ imports :o) Dan

o

I love the vivid pinks!!!
:-)
sparkle on!!
K

o

They are just lovely. A treat to your eye on a dull day. Thank you for sharing Don.

o

Donna,

You are quite the photographer! It's beautiful :)

o

• Posted by ryan820 z5b Denver, Colorado (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 19:56

The only thing that would make it better is if it smelled like strawberry shortcake. *drool*

O'Ryan

o

Ryan...you must be hungry!!
;-)
LOL!
K

o

Wow! Mine just finished blooming and the flowers were pale, barely streaked with pink, small and didn't open fully. I'm very disappointed in it.
Tally HO!

o

Tally, I've seen pictures of someone else's Strawberry Blend from this order and theirs wasn't optimum either. I think these poor bulbs can be very variable, and if we can get them to live we can look forward to better blooms another year. I must say, that all that have bloomed for me have been great, and Alana's from last years order was beautiful also. I wasn't happy with Pink Panther, but I think I think I just made a bad choice, but quite a few of mine will just be leaves this year, maybe just leaves is better than a disappointing flower.......

Donna

o

the others that have bloomed all looked fabulous. We'll see what happens next year.
Tally Ho!

o

Donna, Very stunning! I think I'll have to add it to the list : )

o

Hello,

I'm new here and really hope I'm doing this correctly
Can anybody please tell me how one might go about
Getting one of these? I live in the USA and am told
By Australian growers that it FAR TOO EXPENSIVE
to buy from oz and import
Yet I recall when in my 20s, last century, there was a
Man named Don Rix whom I bought from frequently
Don't know what became of him
Can anybody help me buy one
PLEASE? Thanks so much. Now what do i do?

o

Ok plain and simple
I WILL BUY AN OFFSET FROM ANYBODY
WHO WILL SELL ME ONE
PLEASE, THANKS

o

UniversalOne,

I agree that Strawberry Blend is a gorgeous flower! Unfortunately mine is long gone; it got cooked in extreme heat on a south facing deck the first summer I owned it. I had my plants on a table close to the house and I guess it was even hotter close to the wall with not much air flow and this one turned to mush; the only one this happened to.

The next year when there was another group order I wanted to order another but they weren't offering it that particular year so I bought a Grantly which was quite close but not quite as pretty with less white in it but pretty none the less. The same gorgeous cerise pink. I had bulbs planted in a whiskey barrel and when I pulled them I must have missed Grantly somehow as it has just disappeared. Fortunately I did get some seedling of Christmas Gift (white) by Grantly so maybe I'll be lucky enough to reproduce the gorgeous pink. I would guess that Strawberry Blend and Grantly were sister seedlings.

Good Luck in your quest, maybe you could ask someone from Australia on this forum to buy you a couple of bulbs and send them to you. It's much easier to send out of Australia than into it...

If you go through listings on EBay you will find a seller based in Australia who sells a few Maguire's bulbs. Sometimes the names are different...

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here