Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ada's Flower Rooting in Water

Posted by dondeldux 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 16:11

Hi Everyone,

My Maguire's Ada's Flower was a very small bulb and I had to cut the 6" stalk off since it kept tipping over. It's been blooming in water since the beginning. Before I cut it I removed the pollen for possible future use and it wasn't until much later that I even noticed that I had inadvertantly pollinated all four flowers which resulted in 4 forming seedpods. So, I removed one pod,which was all I could bring myself to remove since they all looked viable. One seedpod looks really good and I know you experts out there have done this successfully before..so I'm hoping for a few seeds!! Now I can't accurately remember if I removed the pollen before or after I cut it, does anyone know if you can actually pollinate a flower after it has been cut? If so, then what an excellent way to use pollen from a virused bulb so as not to contaminate a healthy bulb!

I tried the same think with Tammy Tucker but the seedpods whithered at about the size of a pea..

Take a look..

and Ada's flower blooming in water again..

Thanks for looking,

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ada's Flower growing seedpods in water

I incorrectly titled the above post..no roots, just seedpods...Donna

o
RE: Ada's Flower Rooting in Water

Donna,

I've had luck maturing seed pods just lying on the window sill! Just make sure you keep the water clean and I'm sure you'll be rewarded with seed!

Josh

o
RE: Ada's Flower Rooting in Water

Just make sure you put it in LIGHT, the brighter the better. There isn't very much for the pods to photosynthesize from so they need all they can get.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here