Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Cyrtanthus obliquus - a species with radically different flowers

bluebonsai101
12 years ago

A couple of years ago I had 2 of my large Cyrtanthus obliquus bloom, but I was out of the country for the first one so only saw this one:

{{gwi:427130}}

I just saw the other one for the first time blooming over the past few days:

{{gwi:427132}}

{{gwi:427134}}

I must say, while you read and see pics of how variable this species can be it is much more amazing when you see it in person. This is one of my many favorites :o) Dan

Comments (7)

• dizzy77
    12 years ago

Wow they really are beautiful. How big are the flowers and bulbs. Could you include leaves in some photos? Are they very hard to grow? I ask because I have seen them for sale on ebay here in Australia and would like to give them a go!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi dizzy, the flowers are ~6cm long (not including ovary) and 2.5cm across at the widest point. The bulb is ~12cm in diameter so it is a pretty good size bulb. While they are evergreen, mine spent the last few weeks in very rainy, cool conditions so they lost the vast majority of their leaves before flowering so I will not embarrass myself with a pic of poor looking leaves right now. I find them pretty easy to grow as I have had 4 of them for 3-4 years now and they have grown and multiplied well (I have 6 offsets still attached to my mother bulbs). In my conditions I use 20% organic and 80% volcanic cinder/perlite. During the winter they grow under lights and get watered maybe once every 10 days and during the summer they get whatever rain falls, which is quite often here in Pittsburgh. I think you will have no problem growing them in OZ. Best of luck :o) Dan

• dizzy77
    12 years ago

Thanks Dan, I'll see how I go bidding on them.
    BTW My Ammocharis coranica seedlings still look like thin blades of grass. Are they a slow growing bulb? They didn't lose their leaves over winter but don't look like they have grown either. I am feeding them diluted liquid from my worm farm (most of my hippeastrum seedling seem to love it) I am hoping that growth will pick up now that it's getting warmer here. Any advice?

Cheers
    Di

• hippifan
    12 years ago

Wow, what a BEAUTY!!!!

• fishing_dentist
    12 years ago

Oh how nice! I have them too, but not so long and my bulbs are much smaller. I hope, i will have so nice flowers in the future!

• MissZuma
    10 years ago

I buy this glorious flower from BULBOPHILE -- they sooo good. All seed germinated 2 weeks! Thankyou glorious picture.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Hi Dan,

That is absolutely stunning!!! I have a C. falcatus coming into bloom that I thought was a C. sanguineus all these years. I was so happy to see it bloom, cuz the next step was the compost heap. I'm glad I waited.

Fred

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions