Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hi Everyone...

Here is Valarie Maree..and she's a knockout...at least I think so..her 4 flowers are over 6 1/2" and she looks as if you touched her you'd burn your fingers..The background isn't white, but that beige that Maguires seems to do so well. Nice sturdy stem (this one rooted right away)!! All 4 flowers aren't exactly the same, 2 of them have more red pigment..I have selfed (all I dare to do for now) 2 flowers..will see if I get any seeds. I think she looks somewhat like Rebel, especially from the back with that wide picotee that Maguires also does so well..Now if only...........!!

I know some others of you out there have her also..how did yours do?

{{gwi:427147}}

{{gwi:427149}}

{{gwi:427151}}

{{gwi:427153}}

Donna

Comments (15)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Oh.....LOVELY!! If you get seeds...and need to pass a couple along....

I would have ordered this year, but....
    SIGH!
    pooie
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will..I think I'll self all 4 flowers..she has rooted some so I will try to get some seeds..you're more than welcome to some if I succeed....

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

Wow Donna, just gorgeous! I don't think I've seen a bloom that looks quite as amazing from the back as well as the front. Hope you had a great summer!

Alana

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alana,

I was wondering where you were..hoping that you didn't blow away with Irene..glad you're back!

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

I love the backs on the Maguire's Ami's. They are just as interesting as the fronts. Many of my new order are up and growing if my son doesn't drown them watering while I am in Turkey.

• e36yellowm3
    12 years ago

I've just been a bit busy with work Donna, and didn't get any Maguires this year. As surprising as it sounds, I've also got no more room for additional bulbs or seedlings!

Noni, have a great trip! I'm sure your bulbs will be fine.

Alana

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

Not an ami in site here in Ankara, only roses and bedding plants. Still, I have enough new ones ordered that should be arriving home about the time I do...Royal Colors, Van Engelen, plus my survivors from the past hard years to repot and put back to work.Maybe one of my First seedlings will bloom this winter if I take better care of it?

Hubby retires from 37 years at Boeing...last day of work is Thurs, and we will be off to start our new life as tourists! Yee-Ha!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, I have 4 selfed seedpods on Valerie Maree and I am concerned that they are starting to get very lumpy..is this a bad sign? The only other time I've had lumpy seedpods was on a Limona 2 years ago when the seedpod looked like a turban squash and the seeds weren't viable..take a look..these are just plain lumpy!! They started out looking fine and as they are getting ready to ripen, they turn bumpy...

I was hoping to have seeds to share...

Donna
    {{gwi:427155}}
    {{gwi:427157}}

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

Donna,
    I hope they'll be fine. I had really big lumpy seed pods and got huge seeds that were extremely viable from President Johnson hippis!! I bet they will be fine!
    CAN'T WAIT FOR your good fortune!!
    K

Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update on my extremely lumpy Valerie Maree seedpods...the first pod (the smallest) attempted to ripen normally and started to split at the seams..I was able to harvest 6 mottled brown seeds..now soaking but I don't hold out much hope for these. The second pod was turning black here and there on the outside of the pod and showed no signs of splitting so I open it and the seeds were all wet and mushy..a total loss. The third pod started showing signs of turning black on the outside so I opened it and got about 10 seeds from this one..these were darker in color but, but the large seeds in the center were soft!! I am now soaking these, but don't hold any hope for these either.

I have one last pod still on the plant, this one looks a bit better as it hasn't yet started to turn black on the outside.

Why was this selfing such a disaster on such a seemingly healthy rooted, robust plant? I have never ever had seeds turn mushy before the pod ripens? Would it have made a difference if I had hadn't selfed it..I had no other pollen that I was 100% sure wasn't virused at the time.. as I didn't want to contaminate this bulb (assuming that IT is healthy)

Here is a picture of the 3rd pod that I opened at the first sign of black on the outside.. Oh well, I still have one more pod to go...the other seedpods were far more rotted from the inside than this one.....Thanks!!

Donna

{{gwi:427159}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Just an update on the status of Valerie's seedpods..I got about 10 possibly good seeds from the very last pod..they are brown and questionable..have been soaking them for several days now and nothing yet..she is probably selfing incompatible...

The only good luck I have had with Maguires seedpods has been selfing Rebel, selfing Shirley May, Tangellino x Aphrodite, Naranja x Party Pooper (not very vigorous)..I had 3 seedlings of selfed Surprise and they died. Oh, I forgot I also hv about a dozen Jasmine x Envy!! I think you all know "why" I only mostly self these instead of doing crosses..I never had other available pollen at the correct time. I have tried many many times to bring seedpods to fruition with these Maguire's bulbs, so the ones that do work are extra special...

Josh, you should be successful with your selfed Rebel, and if you are successful with Penciled Peppi, I'd love a few...

Donna

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

Donna,

'Pencilled Peppi' was a no go :(

I dusted 'Rebel' pollen on the stigma and a few hours later the flowers started wilting, WOOHOO!

Josh

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

Valerie Maree is the only one of my Australian amies that is blooming yet and I also have no other pollen. I am giving it a try so we shall see....Just tried the first cross a few days ago, and the 2nd stem is just bursting into bloom. This year mine are very slow to root...the other years I have left them outside until the weather got cold and they rooted readily, but this year I put them directly into the greenhouse. Most of the bulbs have buds up an inch or two and very little rooting happening...not auspicious.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Noni,

It will be interesting to see if your Valerie produces lumpy pods like mine. I absolutely loved this flower!! It was just beautiful and at least it is now well rooted and seems well on it's way. I only had one stalk with 4 gorgeous flowers. Out of the 4 seedpods I am soaking about 15 seeds and have 3 seeds that have half heartedly sprouted, I'm not optimistic but hopeful..If you get the chance, post a picture of yours, mine didn't have a white background, but more of the tan background like Envy.

All but 2 from this order have rooted I think my Ada's Flower is a total loss and Judith..maybe.

I have 2 selfed pods on Denise coming along.. just another pretty pink, but if anyone is interested in these seeds (should they be successful) you're welcome.

Donna

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful variety! I do like the flaming red!