Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Hippi Striatum ---- Any interest?

bluebonsai101
13 years ago

HI all, As I continue to try and get rid of a ton of stuff I do not want to deal with over the winter (most is now gone thankfully) I have found some additional pots of Hippi striatum (yes, these are the species and not some similar hybrid of which there are many) that I simply want to get rid of. They have no value, but they do make a nice windowsill plant and for those with limited space that are fascinated by the "teacup" Hippis out there then these were maybe the original tiny ones (along with other species of course). I have probably given away a few hundred of these over the past couple of years on the forum, but if there are any newbies that want some small ones please e-mail me directly. I have also sent a ton of these seed to OZ over the years and if I have seed again next year I will happily send seed to OZ again.

You can e-mail me at: plantguy@zoominternet.net

Let me know if you want some :o) Dan

Comments (43)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I would love some :)
    shooting you an email :)

• flamingofl42
    13 years ago

Sending e-mail! :o)

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are now spoken for......Hopefully everyone will like them....I tried to send one blooming size and a few smaller ones to everyone that asked :o) Dan

• chazparas
    13 years ago

Wow. missed out on this one! Dan if there is ever an opportunity like this again keep me in mind. I'm hoping to have a greenhouse or conservatory added to the new house within the next 2 summers it'll be a temperate one with cool/cold nights so keep me in mind for any interesting bulb/offers you come across.
    Thanks, Chaz

• jewel106
    13 years ago

bulbs arrived today :) they look absolutely awesome with lovely white roots. thank you so much dan!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jewel, Glad to hear they arrived, but shocked they took so long to get there....happy to hear they were still in good shape!!

Chaz, I look forward to seeing your conservatory in the future....one of my great hopes is to have one myself some day....maybe after the kids are out of college :o) Dan

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As I recall there were a couple of people that wanted these and I thought I had sort of run out of extras. Well, needless to say, as I brought stuff in lately and tried to figure out where it would go under the lights or straight to dormancy I ended up having way more pots of these than I thought. So, Chaz, if you would still like these please shoot me off an e-mail with an address and I will get some to you :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Dan,

My H. striatum are doing wonderful, they've all pushed out at least 3 new leaves and they seems very vigorous, can't want to see blooms :)

• quail
    13 years ago

Dan, I Sent you an email. Hoping you might still have some left :-) Michelle

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Mine are sending up some new little leaves! :)
    Thanks again!
    Tally HO!

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

I'd be interested in some too if you have any left. I'll send you an email=)

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got everyones request....I will do my best to send some bulbs out this weekend....sorry for the delay, but I've been putting in my South African order and my car blew out its tranny on Monday so it has been a crappy week :o) Dan

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your car troubles - hope your week improves!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For the four of you who contacted me I finally got the bulbs on their way today.....sorry about the delay again. Everyone got at least a couple of bulbs, some small, some larger. One of you is getting a bulb with a flower spike on it as I noticed it just barely emerging when I unpotted (only a couple of little babies besides this one blooming size bulb) so I will expect to see a post of the bloom in a couple of weeks or I will be very disappointed :o) Dan

• quail
    13 years ago

Oh, how exciting! Thanks, Dan! I'll be waiting for the package with great anticipation :)
    Michelle

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Ooh, thanks! I can't wait for my package to arrive=)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,
    They arrived yesterday. Thank you!
    I'll be back someday when they bloom. :)

JoJo

• quail
    13 years ago

Hi, Dan. The package arrived yesterday or today. I forgot that they sometimes put small packages in the mailbox, and the mailbox didn't get checked til today. But all seems well. Glad they made it by today - it's supposed to get down into the 30s here tonight (widespread frost expected). So I'm glad to know they're here where it's nice and warm. Thanks!
    Oh, and mine don't have the flower scape, either, so I'll be watching the thread for the pictures so I can have my husband describe them when they're posted :)
    Michelle

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

WHO GOT THE ONE WITH THE SCAPE ???? :)

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If I remember correctly (not likely) it went to someone in FLA.....this box had one large bulb, one smaller one without leaves and then a few tiny offsets......the scape was just barely visible coming out of the tunic and easily overlooked.....not sure who got it, but maybe pics in a couple weeks I hope....assuming it did not abort by being so harshly treated. I have 5-6 scapes coming up now on plants of this guy scattered around the house, but I am more excited about my Worsleya that is getting ready to bloom.....more to follow on a separate thread if it continues to look good over the next week or so :o) Dan

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Dan, here's my Striatum from last season. Is yours like mine? I love this(these) bulbs. They bloom profusely and multiply like bunnies!!
    {{gwi:427248}}From Amazing Miss E

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

I'm the one in FL. I'm still waiting for my package to arrive. I'm hoping it will be there when I get home from work. I'm so excited that mine might be the one with the flower forming=) I'll post as soon as it arrives.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Cindee, yep that is the basic idea....I have 4-5 different clones and they all look a bit different in terms of how dark the color is....I do not make any attempt at all to keep these separate by the way.....no tags on them at all. They do reproduce at an amazing rate which is why I have probably given away more than 200 of them in the past 5 years.

Not sure why it would not have made it to FLA by now.....it was sent on Sat and someone told me they had theirs on Mon. Hope it arrives and hope it is a good bulb for you :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I have a hard time telling the difference between H. blossefeldiae, H. puniceum and H. striatum. Dr. Alan Meerow said there will be a revision on the Hippeastrum genus soon, hopefully that will correct MANY errors, there are so many synonyms for Hippeastrum species it's crazy!!!!!

Josh

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hurray! My package was here waiting for me when I got home from work. The bulb is in good condition and has the forming bloom scape. The leaves took a little damage, but the the bloom scape looks fine. Thanks so much Dan! I am so excited to watch it grow.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Here is the main bulb:

{{gwi:427249}}

None of the babys were still attached after traveling through the mail. I'm still a newbie and haven't ever planted a bulblet before. There are 6 bulblets in this pot. the one in the center was rooted nicely, but the others had either minimal or no roots. Kind of hard to tell which are the bulblets and which are the pieces of bark, but I basically just nestled the ones with no roots into the surface of the potting mix. Is that the right thing to do?

{{gwi:427250}}

Thanks so much for sharing Dan!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ouch, the leaves got mangled......sorry I did not do a better job packing these.....must have hurried too much! Glad to know the spike will still nicely grow and flower and the leaves will quickly come back. As for the offsets....these can take forever to root and grow.....I just toss them in with the main bulb and eventually they grow.....these emerge from all over the main bulb, some above soil, some below soil.....I would plant them below soil.....they could take a year though so patience is an absolute must on these!!

By the way, I have all of these in a 4" pot. That would easily large enough for a flowering size bulbs and several smaller ones of this species. All of the ones you got plus all the ones I sent to someone else were all in a 4" pot.....please feel free to cramp these all you want.

Again, I apologize for the leaves.....not acceptable for me. I look forward to seeing a pic of the flowers in ~3 weeks though. I can save pollen if you want and send it on a Q-tip to you so you can set seed true to species if you want :o) Dan

• quail
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that the leaves will come back quickly. My bulbs' leaves are a bit wilted, but that seems inevitable given that they just came through the mail. :)
    Guess I didn't need to put them in such a large pot. I have mine in an 8" pot. Would it be better to put them in a smaller one?
    What would you say the diameter of the bulb would be when the bulbs are of a size to flower?
    Also, can you self pollinate H. Striatum, or do you need to use pollin from a different flower? Based on Dan's comment in his last message, it sounds like one needs pollin from another one.
    Oh, and Dan, thanks for sharing the info about all the different ways the bulblets can grow from the bulb. Until mine arrived, I hadn't seen bulblets starting on a bulb from anywhere else except at the base. But one of my bulbs had a cute little tiny bulblet growing from the side. Unfortunately, it broke off at some point. Noticed it missing when I went to plant the bulb. I was SO annoyed! The good news is that there are still some other tiny offsets still attached.
    It will be fun watching these cute little hippies grow!! Thanks again!
    Michelle

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I have 10 blooming size bulbs in an 8" pot plus their offsets, so from my perspective they are overpotted, but I'm the guy that recently unpotted a 4" square pot of these that had turned in to a round pot with a no longer flat bottom so that I could send them out to people so I tend to abuse mine more than the average person!!

These can bloom at 1" in diameter and a jumbo bulb is 2-2.5" diameter. By the way, mine that are in that 2.5" diameter range or maybe just the tiniest bit bigger are growing happily in a 4" square plastic pot and sending up bloom spikes now. I would be worried about overwatering in a big 8" pot to be honest. Eve though mine are that cramped, are potted in a mix of potting soil and perlite (1:1) they get watered once per week in active growth inside and during the summer outside they get whatever rain falls on them....if it has not rained in 2 weeks or so they get the hose....I treat them with total disregard and they offset like crazy, and flower nicely every year....this is a tough Hippi.

I have not had mine self before, but who knows, maybe I missed the window of opportunity. Others may know better whether these can self.

I am glad to hear that they made it to all their destinations and are in good new homes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :o) Dan

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Dan, I really think Striatums thrive on abuse! Mine also love being crowded together. I love the bulblets when they pop out of the sides like pimples on the larger bulbs.
    {{gwi:427251}}From Amazing Miss E

I usually take all the rootless bulblets and throw them all in a pot of moist soil with perlite. I cover them completely and in a few months, they will send down thin roots and green leaves will poke out of the soil. I don't bother trying to figure which side is up, they tend to show me once they start rooting.

Have fun you guys, this is a great plant.

• quail
    13 years ago

Well, I need to transplant some other hippi seedlings tomorrow anyway, so as much as I hate to disturb my hippi Striatum so soon after planting, I think I will put them in a smaller pot. Besides, then I'll have more room for other hippies to come! :) Michelle

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hi. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Dan, thanks for the info on how to pot up the bulblets. I will bury them under the soil. I would never have guessed they could take a year to sprout, thanks for sharing that info so I don't start wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Good to know they can be crowded too. Mostly I separated them into 2 pots so I could learn about them a bit faster. This way I can try them in 2 locations at once=) I would like to have these growing in my landscape eventually, and figured I'd start with them in pots so I can observe them and learn about them. Looks like I could have chosen a smaller pot though. I put them in a very fast draining mix (Al's mix), a 1:1:1 ratio of turface, pea gravel and pine bark fines. So hopefully that will keep them safe from too much moisture.

That would be great if you would send some pollen Dan, it would be fun to try to get seeds.

cindeea - great photo! I didn't know that bulblets could sprout from the side like that. How cool!

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindee, really love that pic!!!

I have my first flowers opening today and the ones from a different clone are maybe a week behind so I will save pollen from both clones and send it along. Needless to say, I will pollinate my plants so if there is interest in the seed please let me know and I will send that along to whoever might want it as well (assuming I actually get seed that is). I'm just glad someone wants these guys :o) Dan

• cindeea
    13 years ago

Hey Dan, my Striatum "Miss Ethel" has been a real good pollen donator and receiver. I am ging to use her again this year. I have a number of selfed, x Misty and Magic Green seedlings. Want to share pollens? I have Trentino opening now and will love using it with with the Stri. Mine hasn't started it's bloom cycle yet.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hi Dan. Thought I'd post an update. Unfortunately, it looks like the stress of shipping was too much for the flower spike. While the bulb itself seems to be doing fine, the emerging flower scape stayed green for about 4 days after planting then gradually turned brown and papery. So that's a bummer. But I'm still very happy to have the bulb and will report back when it does flower.

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ugh, that is too bad...I thought since it was so early on it would make it just fine!! I have been pollinating mine so with any luck I will have some seed I can send you....I want to send some to Columbia!! I can also send you pollen if you want to dab it around on your other flowers :o) Dan

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan. I'd love some seed. How long does the pollen stay viable? Would it still be viable for the next bloom I have? I would love to eventually fill the flower bed (or at the moment flowerless bed) under my oak tree with hippis, so I'd be quite happy to try out seeds and pollinating.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hi Dan. My bulb is not doing well, can you advise? Here is a picture of it now:

{{gwi:427252}}

That round lesion in the front is hard and bumpy and the tissue around it seems to be having some sort of rot. It is getting mushy and transparent.

What should I do? Do I unpot it and try to remove the bad tissue? Leave it alone? Some other treatment?

I have it in Al's gritty mix and am watering sparingly. I have a Papillo bulb in the same mix, getting the same treatment and in the same location, and it is doing fine.

Papillo:
    {{gwi:427253}}

So not really sure what has gone wrong. All of the little bulblets still look fine.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Angela

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Angela, I do not remember what stage this guy was at when I sent it.....some had leaves and others were dormant.....if it was trying to flower and did not have leaves and the flower aborted then perhaps it simply wants to be dormant. Honestly, the way I treat these is by leaving them alone...dry as a bone, until I see a leaf emerging and then I start to water. Please back off on the water until it shows signs it wants to grow and then have at it.....they are easy, but just let them tell you what they want...As I said, I never water to get them to break dormancy....they do it on their own. I hope that others are doing well. Best of luck :o) Dan

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan! I'm a big fan of letting plants work things out on their own. This one had some leaves that were damaged in shipping and it hasn't grown any since then. I'll stop watering it and see what happens. I didn't know that I should stop watering completely until a leaf emerges. So thanks a lot for the tip!

Angela

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Angela,

Hippeastrum species are very prone to rot if watered without any foliage and even when there is foliage ;) If I were you I'd clean up the bulb of all rot and dust with Captan or something containing sulfur! Many Hippeastrum hybrids can stay evergreen but most species will go dormant whether you water or not ;)

Good Luck!@

Josh

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Thanks Josh for the advise. It feels slightly mushier today, so I may cut away some of the rot. To clean up a bulb do you take it completely out of the pot? Or should I scoop the potting mix away from the bulb and then remove rot while leaving the root system as undisturbed as possible?

Thanks for the tip on sulfur. I've been unable to find Captan locally, so I'd have to order it through the mail. But I do have wettable sulfur that I use to treat other garden fungal problems.

Thanks,

Angela

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thought I'd post an update. I did some cleanup on this bulb, and eventually decided to put it in the ground and let nature take its course. It is has recovered, and is now blooming nicely. It is going to send up 2 spikes this spring! I posted the pictures in a new thread - link below.
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: Update with Pictures

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions