Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Finding Hybrids :( *San Antonio Rose & Carnival* HELP!

Posted by joshy46013 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 17:50

Hi guys,

I'm really looking for Hippeastrum "San Antonio Rose" and I can't find this one anywhere as well as "Carnival" does anyone have these that they would sale or trade with me? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks so much :)
Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Finding Hybrids :( *San Antonio Rose & Carnival* HELP!

San Anotinio Rose is available at a nursery in TX. They got a website.

I had Carnival bulbs before. Burnt them.

o

I have pots full of San Antonio Rose...healthy as can be, but since I have a few virused plants, I don't want to risk anything by sending anything to anyone...SERIOUSLY. I'm sure you wouldn't want to take that risk either after all the discussion about viruses. I am not being sarcastic or getting a dig in...I'm not sending things out. I don't want to be blamed for anyone else's problems real or not! I bought a pot at the local arboretum sale...over 30 bulbs for $7. Now I probably have 3 pots full. Look for them...you can find them!
K Photobucket

o

Well, the parentage is Hippeastrum aulicum x Hippeastrum traubii forma doraniae. I have both of the bulbs so I think I'm going to try some experimenting to see if I can't re-create this hybrid :) It's an F1 hybrid so it shouldn't be too difficult, I'm sure the flower can be pretty variable.

Josh

o

Maria - why did you burn your Carnival bulbs?

o

Oh, it isn't "Carnival" it's "Jaguar"

Sorry :)

o

Josh,

Try Glasshouse Works, I believe they are selling San Antonio Rose for $8. I've never purchased anything from them so buy at your own risk.
http://www.glasshouseworks.com/tropicalbulbs.html

AJ

o

I ordered "San Antonio Rose" from Glasshouse Works a number of years ago and was happy with my order.

o

Minkus,

Is it the same as the picture posted above?

o

Josh,

I came across another place... Stokes Tropicals, it even looks like it costs slightly less $7.95
http://stokestropicals.com/san-.

AJ

o

Josh,
I am not sure why the pic on Glasshouse's site is so pink. Mine looks like the pic posted above. All of my species hipps are from Glasshouse--it was the only place where I could get a selection at a price I could afford. They are really friendly and sometimes they may be able to send you something not offered on their site. The plants are starter size so you probably won't get blooms the first year, but seeing how fast you can get the bulbs to size up is part of the fun--the first flowers on something new is more exciting than something you know is going to bloom without fail every year.

o

Minkus,

I agree :) On Stokes the minimum order is 25 dollars and there just isn't 25 dollars worth of stuff I want to buy from them. I noticed also that another one of the Hippeastrum is mislabeled with a pic of H. aulicum, maybe it's just whoever puts the pictures up :)

o

I got my SAR from Country Garden.I don't think he has them on the website but you can email and ask.He is also active on the cubits Hippeastrum site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Garden

o

Anna...It was virused.

I got SAR from both Glasshouseworks and Stokes. Stokes sent me a very good sized bulb with lots of bulblets attached. Glasshouse sent me a small bulb.

o

Bessmans in Yorktown has them, they are unlabeled amaryllis, I got one a couple of weeks ago, about 10 in the pot. $5 (Yorktown is near Cuero, just south of San Antonio)
Maas in Kemah, 5 gallon pot with dozens and dozens of bulbs $16.95
Also saw them at several nurseries around New Braunfels. If you can't find them let me know & I'll mail you a couple of bulbs.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here