Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

What happens if I don't do anything special after blooming.

I got these amaryllis bulbs from Lowe's on sale and put them in pots and they put out lovely flowers and then leaves. Not much has happened since. They are not unattractive.

They are inside. About as much light as one can get inside, many big windows, almost a greenhouse room. Summer temperatures have been 68-79oF. Winter temperatures will be about 65-70oF.

I read many places about doing this or that to get them to bloom again. What happens if I just leave them there in the pots?

Comments (6)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

If you treat them like evergreen plants you might get blooms again, but not with any regularity. Read the FAQs on this list of messages (DO NOT REPLY TO THE FAQs). Getting them to bloom again is simple, but not for everyone.
    K

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have read boilerplate masked as FAQ. I would like to know what individuals have experienced.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Hi Albert,

Leaving them in their pot is just fine, I do it all the time. Some of my bulbs have been in the same pot for 3 years or more! Now, I don't recommend this but certainly 2 or 3 years is just fine as long as they get the proper amount of sun and or very bright light which it appears yours are receiving and they are in a pot large enough to accommodate the root growth for a few years.

They most likely won't bloom for the holidays but I'm sure before the winter is over they will bloom again. Some of these hippies will grow as evergreens so as long as the leaves keep on growing..you can keep feeding and watering. If the leaves decide to dry up on their own then, stop watering and feeding and leave them in a cool spot (preferably a dark spot but not necessary from my experience) (around 50 degrees F) for the better part of 3 months. Bring them back into your light filled room with some water and warmth they should either send up a flower spike or some more leaves.. hopefully both. At the stage when they may have no leaves be most careful not to over water..just once throughly to spur them into action.

I'm sure around Feb or maybe even earlier they will reward you with lovely flowers once again. Go out and buy a couple more for the holidays! Good Luck!

Now, you can always force them to rest by withholding water and putting them in the dark so their leaves will die back..and then put them in for their 10 weeks of cold storage and maybe you can time it so they will bloom for Christmas, but why not take the easy way out and buy a couple new ones and save your others for the doldrums of mid winter!

I do tend to ramble on so I hope I haven't confused you...

Donna

11 years ago

Albert,

Donna has given you a great amount of detail about how to get your bulbs to rebloom. I'm not sure what you were asking. I thought you wanted to know what would happen if you did nothing....and so, if you do nothing, they will continue to grow and eventually rebloom on their own schedule as long as the bulb has stored enough nutrients to support the fomation of the scape and blooms within the bulb. Funny, stressed plants tend to bloom as a last procreative resort, which is why the dormancy period (withholding watering and cooler temperatures) is so effective at "forcing" a bloom.

Most of us grow the bulbs for their blooms, not for their foliage, so you most likely won't find many answers for "What happens if I don't do anything"...other than what is already in your thread....they will just grow...and they might bloom. Most often the question is "What do I need to do to get my bulbs to bloom again, and as you can see from Donna's reply, there is a schedule to it. Are you fertilizing the plants? A general practice is to use half-strength Miracle Gro at least every other watering. The bulbs typically have to have grown to at least 8 leaves before they are considered blooming size. The bulbs that you bought had been "primed" for blooming, only needing water and warmth to bloom. Some only need warmth, as we see to many bulbs blooming in their boxes at L and HD!

Some of us have been growing Hippeastrum/amaryllis for decades, most have been growing them for at least several years...the FAQ is a nice assembly of actual responses from the list over the years. Your Lowe's sale bulbs should be very happy in the room that you have described, growing and growing. The natural blooming cycle in your zones may be later in the spring.

If you'll post a general location for where you live, at least what state, others on the map near you (the Sunset zone 2-3 cover many states) may be able to provide additional info depending on what your goal is for the bulbs (reblooming?).
    K

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by dondeldux ...

certainly 2 or 3 years is just fine ...
    They most likely won't bloom for the holidays [I don't do holidays.] but I'm sure before the winter is over they will bloom again. Some of these hippies will grow as evergreens so as long as the leaves keep on growing..you can keep feeding and watering.

Above may be all I was after. Thanks.

11 years ago

Glad you got your answer. We are usually more than happy to help, and tend to give more info that what you were expecting or needed, but most on this list are happy to share their experiences.