Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

' Bouquet' Hippaestrum

Members,.....Please help.

Looking for a nice fat bulb of this old variety. I grew it years ago, and it makes beautiful, soft, salmon-orange blooms. I cannot find a source for this amaryllis.

If you members know of a supplier of "BOUQUET", please let me know.

Thanks,

BronxFigs/Frank

Comments (10)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Having never heard of Bouquet, I googled it and to me it looks very similar to Rilona..if you can't find your Bouquet, maybe you can find a Rilona..a similarly lovely color and flower..

Donna

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna,.... Thanks. Close, but no cigar!

I have also looked at the similar "RILONA", but "BOUQUET" is a much nicer plant. The flowers on "BOUQUET" are displayed beautifully, and more importantly, the crisp petals are held open, not too flaring, and do not reflex backwards into the ugly, misshaped flowers that are seen in most of today's offerings. What a hideous mess!!! ..... especially the doubles. Used Kleenex comes to mind. The color of the flowers on "BOUQUET" were the most beautiful, soft, salmon-pink-orange.

I need to find "BOUQUET".........Help!

12 years ago

Don't know if this will help.....

Here is a link that might be useful: leo berbee

Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, ....

You must have sent me some kind of "vibe", because at around 5:30 yesterday afternoon, after an endless, 3 day web-search, I came across, by pure accident, the very web-site that you suggested in your last posting.

I took a chance and called, and I actually spoke to a genuine human being, (instead of the usual recording), and was told to call back on Monday and speak with a lady named Becky. She's the "head honcho" in the Bulb Dep't. I'm hoping that I hit paydirt on Monday when I call to place an order. I'll be ordering "BOUQUET" and "ROYAL VELVET". I was informed that their fall bulbs are sitting in some ship, and they are waiting for delivery, which was held up because of all the lousy weather, heavy rains, and flooded roads, etc. Bulbs will be ready sometime in October for shipping. "BOUQUET" might be in this shipment, but I'll have to wait for Monday to find out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This company has an extensive Hippeastrum listing as well as other bulbs. I wish I knew of this company sooner.

Thanks for the tip. Is my quest over?????

Frank

Here's the web-site:

berbeeus.com (Leo Berbee Bulb Company, Inc.) 973-642-0511 ...ext:12) ........ Check-out this site.

12 years ago

Well, Frank..Actually... it was this morning that I stumbled on this website, "by pure accident", so prehaps you sent the vibe to me!

And, I do hope when you do get your bulbs, that they are labeled correctly in this world of mislabeled bulbs..who in fact but you would know the difference between Bouquet and Rilona..?

Donna

Original Author
    12 years ago

Donna, (My Sister's name)........Maybe you're right...it was I who put the whammy on you! A reverse premonition. A double-stumble!! Now,... do do, that voodoo, that you do so well, and "make" the Berbee Bulb Comp'y. send me the correctly labeled bulbs. And yes, "RILONA" may be a look-alike, but I need the real thing instead of the mock.....

Thanks for the laughs, on this most somber day of mourning.

Frank, BronxFigs

Original Author
    12 years ago

dondeldux/Donna.......

Called the Berbee Bulb Comp'y. this morning @ 9:00 AM sharp. Yes, they will have "BOUQUET" starting in early October -'11. I'll also be ordering "ROYAL VELVET" for contrast. I'm approaching Nirvana!!!!

ATTENTION....ATTENTION !!!! I posted the wrong phone number for the Leo Berbee Bulb Company. Here is the CORRECT phone number: 937-642-0511 ask to speak with Hank Berbee. Check out their prices!!!

Good growing........Frank

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

So where ARE their prices?I can't find them on the site...
    Also, it appears you have to buy a quantity of each.
    Kristi

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I was going to order several bulbs with them last year but the bulbs never came in from Holland :( This is when I was on the hunt for 'Pink Floyd'.

'Bouqet' is very nice btw, can't wait to see pictures ;)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Just read the latest posts.

I called, and was informed that retail sales are possible, and that the prices for bulbs was less than I anticipated, and much cheaper than any retail source that I have come across. Retail sales at wholesale prices. Do I have anything to lose by placing an order with this company? I'll give them a try, and take my chances. At least Human Beings answer their phones!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz