Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire47_gw

Too late to fertilize?

Claire47
12 years ago

Zone 5A

My 8 amaryllis plants have been outside for the summer - doing well, looking strong and green. However, I neglected to fertilize them. I'll be bringing them inside to start their dormancy in about a month or so - depending on our frost warnings. Should I fertilize them this week or is it too late?

Comments (10)

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

I think as it is too late.They may begin to grow again and you will be hard to get them to sleep.

• Claire47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I suppose this means some may not flower this winter?

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Why do you think? Do you think that if you give them another dose of fertilizer - then they will bloom all right en masse?
    I do not think so ...

• joshy46013
    12 years ago

I fertilize my bulbs all year round and they bloom late winter through summer, it depends on what you want! My plants stay evergreen tho, I don't force them.

I don't think they wont bloom because you didn't fertilize, I'm sure they still will if they grew well!

Josh

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Two years ago I gave my sister-in-law a Ferrari, it was a name in her family..she does not have a green thumb. She put it out on her deck last summer and I seriously doubt if she ever gave it another thought let alone fertilized it, and it bloomed again beautifully for her last winter. Two stalks with four flowers each..I even got her to self it for seeds and it produced one or two pods, which she later just threw away..the moral of this story is that you may get away with neglect for the first year, but next year please fertilize your hungry plants..they will thank you with beautiful flowers....

Donna

• brigarif Khan
    12 years ago

Hello Josh, what is your NPK ratio, strength ; PPM N of the solution and frequency of feeding?
    Arif

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

I have never found that fertilizing inhibits blooming.

It does, however, cause the stems to be very long if it was fertilized recently, say in the last month.

If you prefer it to bloom with few or no leaves (to prevent mature leaves from getting tattered if you like to move the plants out of the windowsill and put them on a coffee table or somewhere more prominent while flowering) I suppose forcing dormancy is fine.

But I don't force dormancy and they do fine with that. I am not sure how fertilizing would affect dormancy.

For me, they bloom all on their own in January-April and, every now and then, May, triggered by natural seasonal changes in day length and light intensity.

If they are put outside over the summer, they often bloom one additional time in July, even if they already bloomed. I'm still trying to figure out if that means 1 less flower spike the following winter blooming season. Since they vary between 1 and 3 stems each blooming period all on their own, it's hard to tell.

Also, whenever I move an amaryllis to a new location... it grows new leaves, and a few weeks later the previous leaves die. I'm sure it's doing that because the new light levels are best taken advantage of with a leaf formed a little differently. Larger lighter-colored leaves are ideal in dim light and more compact, dark-colored leaves are ideal in bright light. Moving the plant can cause leaves suited to dim light to burn, and leaves suited to bright light to not get enough light, so the plant replaces them.

This might be too much information but I hope you can pick out what can be helpful in your situation.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

Claire47
    Answer please, your hippeastrums planted in pots or in open ground?
    When you bought them and planted?
    How many large leaves they have grown from the time of planting and what their diameter bulb?
    They grow in full sun?
    The fact that it is not so easy to answer the question - will they bloom or not, it still depends on the assortment - what kind do you have?

• Claire47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses.
    To answer oleg9grower's questions:
    Each of my hippeastrums is in it's own plastic pot and have 2-4 big, strappy leaves. The pots summer outside in dappled shade. Lots of light but no direct sun.
    Each bulb is about the size of a baseball. I receive one a year as a gift. I think they are all pretty common - like Red Lion.

Each spring I bring them up from the basement (leaves have dried up) and add just a bit of fresh soil to each pot and water.

Perhaps I have been lucky they continue to flower each year without much attention (ie fertilizing) or knowledge.

• oleg9grower
    12 years ago

My opinion: those that have a 4 leaf can bloom. Those that have 2 leaves may not bloom.

Sponsored
More Discussions