Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

Volunteer FAQ Editor Needed

gwannouncements
13 years ago

We are looking for someone to help create an FAQ for this forum. While compiling information should be a group effort, one person would be charged with pulling it together into useful FAQs. This could mean a new document OR just pointing to helpful posts that are already on the forum. A good example of a helpful FAQ can be found here: Winter Sowing FAQ.

If you have a desire to make this forum even better, have good writing skills and work well with others, please reply to this thread or send us an email -- Letters to Garden Web.

Comments (15)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Hey ajsblu_eyes ...you've done such a great job...and we already have a FAQ v2 in our forum....why don't you consider doing this? You've already done the work! Why not just make it official?
    K

• ajsblu_eyes
    13 years ago

So sweet of you to say Kristi but I'm only worried that this would mean a lot more time than I have currently, otherwise I would do it. :\
    AJ

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

How bout you Kristi?? I'm sure Arif, Maria and others would help. :)

• mariava7
    13 years ago

Whoever's gonna do this please just contact me in my email if you need me. I barely get to visit here but would be very willing to help.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I have a question for the 'regulars' here.

I have volunteered to be the editor (with help of course) at The Bulb Forum. Crinums are often asked about there. A search there brings up 90 matches and a search here brings up 62 matches.

Since Crinum is a genus of the Amaryllidaceae family, should it maybe be best covered here in the FAQ? If it is included here, could the info be shared and also used in the FAQ at Bulbs, with credit given where it is due? As the Bulb Forum FAQ Outline stands right now, there are a lot of questions, so if Crinums could be best covered here, it would sure help.

Maybe cover here...
    Crinum
    Describe and varieties
    Sources
    General planting info and care
    --overwintering tender bulbs in colder zones

Feel free to either reply here or email me with any ideas.

tia

Sue

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Tread very light footed on sources of any plant. WHY? In today's economy and they way some places conduct business is a whole subject of it's own. Sounds rude I know but GW doesn't guarantee any businesslike reliability.

Personally I don't see a problem with covering A FAQ Crinum here (in it's own sub chapter in that sense ?). Yes it should be and belongs in this forums FAQ. It would also be nice if the Crinum parts from Bulbs made a cross reference to here and make a 100% move to this forum. One plant family one FAQ home if this is the goal.

The overwintering of tender bulbs idea is great. However as you post it, it reads as you might be being a bit repetitive for each tender bulb in every sub plant chapter(s) discussing over wintering them.
    I also think the word GENERAL is to broad for the newer member/grower/reader and should be BASIC.

In general there are a lot of Hippeastrum growers here as regular posters. They seem kind enough to also provide some basic Crinum and as well ANY OTHER TENDER BULB growing methods by answering a posters question(s).

This statement is true to the point of: Even if they have no idea what the actual tender bulb is. IMO the responses where found be basic but not general.

13 years ago

The overwintering of tender bulbs idea is great. However as you post it, it reads as you might be being a bit repetitive for each tender bulb in every sub plant chapter(s) discussing over wintering them.

My post above should have maybe read something like
    Please see FAQ 123 overwintering tender bulbs in colder zones

It would also be nice if the Crinum parts from Bulbs made a cross reference to here and make a 100% move to this forum.
    I'm confused...that's nothing new though.

So are you saying that it would be all right to post an FAQ at bulbs with the exact info that is written to the FAQ here for Crinums?
    If so, a link to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum could also be added to the Crinum FAQ (at Bulbs) for addressing further questions.

There are numerous bulbs asked about at The Bulb Forum that would maybe be better addressed at other, more specific forums, such as Alliums and Lilies, which have their own forums. Since they are asked about so frequently at Bulbs, I thought we'd address some rather general info in the FAQ with links to the appropriate forums, or appropriate forum's FAQ...whichever would be best.

There are questions too about plants that aren't even bulbs, but the members will reply with info and also suggest they ask also at the specific forum for that plant...examples Irises (bearded) and Canna.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

So are you saying that it would be all right to post an FAQ at bulbs with the exact info that is written to the FAQ here for Crinums?

NO I meant to say that Criniums should have it's FAQ here and what ever FAQ is already at the "bulb " forum should be moved to this forum and with a cross link here to the questions already asked at Bulbs so that a reader here can make reference to them Q's as well.

( I know wake up and smell the coffee Mrlike things like this are just a dream.)
    Think of it as asking a "Lucky Bamboo" question or trying to get a FAQ on the ever informal plant known as Lucky B in the Bamboo forum , but yet there is no Dracaena forum for this plant family or it's FAQ.

As Criniums are Amaryllidaceae AKA TENDER BULBS if I may suggest this would be there rightful and proper FAQ and posting place but doesn't have to be it's only posting place

13 years ago

NO I meant to say that Criniums should have it's FAQ here and what ever FAQ is already at the "bulb " forum should be moved to this forum and with a cross link here to the questions already asked at Bulbs so that a reader here can make reference to them Q's as well.
    There is no existing FAQ for Crinums at Bulbs and a search there brings up 90 matches for threads about Crinums.
    I was thinking " Why write an FAQ for Crinum at Bulbs if Crinum will have a good FAQ here, which is the most logical place."

Since they are asked about there at Bulbs, 'if' a member would check the new Bulb FAQ, it would be good to either have some info (duplicate info of the Crinum info from the FAQ here) with a link to this forum for further info, or else just a link (no basic info)in the FAQ with a link to the FAQ here.

Please see The Bulb Forum NEW FAQ Outline as it stands now. The bulbs most frequently asked about (there may be others) are in Alphabetical order in the FAQ.

13 years ago

I/we will just have a very short blurb and then link over here to the forum for further information or questions. Will link to the Crinum FAQ once it is finished here.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

The outline in your link looks GREAT a easy to follow format laid out in a well edited manner.

Your either a professional text book editor or at least I sense you may have done something of this nature before. Either way your doing great.

It never came to my mind to look in "Bulbs" for Crinum info I certainly agree to the idea of an ALL BULB or General listing with basic information (as seen previewed on the linked example) and a cross link for a user to redirect them to the correct forum or forums.
    Why is a plant hardiness zone important ? Well technically it isn't important at all (to me)
    In brief I have no zone restrictions on any plant as long as I care for it properly. Regardless of any plants zone restrictions I grow several things as far out of my hardiness zone as I can get, be it by wit or with the use of other GW forum information areas like under lights, inside, hothouse ect.

13 years ago

The outline in your link looks GREAT a easy to follow format laid out in a well edited manner.
    Well thank you. I have given just the Outline considerable thought so as to be sure and try to include the 'most' asked about bulbs there. I want it to look good, and have good info.

Your either a professional text book editor or at least I sense you may have done something of this nature before.
    No, neither really. I do know the existing FAQ are a real mess...maybe a good read, but not where you could really find any specific info. They have bugged me for some time and I've thought how nice it could be to have some good organized FAQ, with info that is most often asked about.

Why is a plant hardiness zone important ?
    I understand what you are saying but to the bulb 'newbie' in zone 5 wanting to grow Glads, crinum, caladiums, it is important, as is the zone info on any bulbs one purchases, or considers purchasing.

I have long admired the Canna FAQ which are well organized and cover all the basic questions. They inspired me to do a good job.

Oh...and check out the links at The Bulb Forum's existing FAQ Rather hodge-podge, wouldn't you say?

btw...I am retired and sometimes tend to overthink things.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

The Canna FAQ is right on target Simple easy basic information in an easy to follow index format.
    Due in part to the many " types" of this forums "bulbs" I can see what you mean when you say keeping it general
    I'm certain you've seen this link at onetime http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/HowToGrowBulbs
    Along the same idea as the Canna FAQ only with a lot more General information

I know you don't have anything to do with this but it could be added in the GW FAQ
    I also think GW needs to keep in mind local area plant societies and mention to it's members that a local plant society is a GREAT place to 1) know the plant(s) of there preference better 2)met people who grow them as a passion and have a vast amount of EXPERT information. There is a lot more to the plant societies and what they offer, there far to often overlooked by GW

I'd rather see this than some far left field off topic green thing from BING

But do to the HIGH risk of plant addictions would be a different subject there for needs no GW warning or in offering of any unforeseen 12 step groups
    Have a great day

13 years ago

I know you don't have anything to do with this but it could be added in the GW FAQ
    Great idea! I am a daffodil addict, (acquired about 300 new cultivars this year), so adding a link to information about Local Daffodil Societies could be included, as well as a link to The American Daffodil Society, as well as links to The Events and Show Calender....the possibilities are endless.

A GW daff addicted cyber friend admitted to me that she often finds herself daydreaming about daffodils throughout the day. She takes picture albums to work containing her daff pics and shows them off, much like other folks might show off pics of their children, grandchildren or even pets.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

to be a bit more specific

Here is a link that might be useful: You'll never guess what they feature on this issue

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm