Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

First early order has arrived... Has yours?

My Eden Blooms order arrived today. My first impression is quite good!! Large, clean bulbs and even a couple bonus bulbs! They did have to substitute for two but they notified me in advance and gave me options, so I can't fault them for that. Many of the bulbs already have the very tips of scapes starting to poke out, so tomorrow will be a busy repotting day. About a third of the bulbs are very dormant and are going to stay in the refrigerator for a little while longer.

I hate putting bulbs in the refrigerator if the scapes are starting to show for fear that they will abort.

It's that time of year when this forum should be starting to get a little bit busy; in a month it will be hopping. I can't wait for people to start posting photos!!

Kristi

Comments (27)

• misss
    11 years ago

I have been ordering from Edens Blooms for years. They are great at customer service. If you have a problem, just let them know. I had one bulb with NBF and they quickly replaced it.
    If you want to know what they are going to have, click on the availibility at the top of the page. That discloses their orders.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So....again...anyone else getting their orders yet? My bulbs already had some scape tips showing. I potted them up and when I return home Saturday I'm sure they'll be growing well.

Silence indicates that no one has gotten their orders yet. It's always fun to hear how big the bulbs are from various distributors and what surprises, if any, happen.

I know I've received bonus bulbs from my favorite vendor Royal Colors.

I'm looking forward to getting orders from 4 vendors this year. Didn't order from TyTy (inside joke for list longtimers)!
    K

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

I ordered some bulbs. Some came with 3 " pale yellow leaves/growth. It looks like it is a leftover bulb from last Spring...

I also ordered some Tuberose which is suppose to be planted in the spring, but it arrived last week. Am I suppose to pot it now or wait till spring? I am worried that the tuberose are leftover from last spring which will not be good till next spring. Any suggestions?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I doubt a 3 inch leaf is left over from last spring. That actually sounds like new growth that hasn't been exposed to sunlight to me. As far as your tuberose I have no idea. If you ordered it and it supposed to be planted in the spring and they shipped it now, I would just go ahead and plant it. What do you have to lose? Maybe you could contact the seller and ask them about planting the tuberose.
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I just received my order from Easytogrowbulbs and even though they messed up the order, the bulbs were huge and in great condition. I emailed them about the mix-up and they will be sending out my missing La Paz and my free Half & Half early next week. They do goof occasionally, but I've found them very good to do business with and with me at least.. they always happily fix their mistakes.

Their shipping is exemplary..notified of mailing on Mon and the package arrived at noonish on Wed.. all the way from CA to the East Coast!!

I ordered 1 Chico, 1 La Paz and 1 Lima..ended up with 2 Limas. They won't be making any money off of me this year as I'll end up with 5 bulbs for the price of 3 and they pay the shipping the second time around...not a bad deal after all!

Donna

• haxuan
    11 years ago

We (a group and me) ordered from Eden again this year. Our order was worth nearly $500 but we didn't get any bonus bulbs! More over, they messed up with our order, they didn't send some bulbs we ordered :(

I really don't know if we should order from them again next season.

Xuan

Original Author
    11 years ago

It's too bad about your Eden's order being messed up. This was my first time ordering from them. They actually called me to tell me two of the bulbs I had ordered were not available and asked if I wanted to substitute. So I chose two other bulbs and they sent one bonus bulb. I think my order was somewhere in the neighborhood of $120.

Sorry they messed up. My first experience was ok.
    K

• haxuan
    11 years ago

Kristi, thanks for your post.

We ordered from them when they had a sale a while back. That time, they didn't send us a bunch of rain lilies which we ordered. This time, some rain lilies and amaryllis bulbs were missing from our order.

Moreover, one member in our group informed that one of their bulbs has rot :(

As it is a group order, I have to wait until everyone can confirm their batch before I write to Eden.

Have any others here had experience dealing with Eden in terms of bulb quality and order mis-placed? I'd appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

Xuan

Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my bulbs less than a month ago. This is what they look like this morning!....and the thermometer is correct, 70 degrees at 0700!
    K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

I have a question - On EasyToGrowBulbs, the plant named: Amaryllis Papillio Butterfly. Is this the same Papilio that people say makes for good offspring?

Original Author
    11 years ago

yes...it is the same. Some places refer to it as butterfly amaryllis!
    K

11 years ago

I just received my Half & Half and my La Paz. The La Paz is absolutely huge with a bud emerging. I must say all the bulbs from ETGB's were huge this year with the exception of Half & Half which was normal sized but very healthy looking. Not bad, 5 bulbs for the price of 3. I'm hoping that one of the cybisters may indeed be a mislabeled Jungle Star... I certainly won't complain if that were the case!! ;-)

Donna

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Ahh, thanks. :) I just placed an order. Kind of funny because I wasn't interested in ordering online again but seeing haweha's thread come up reminded me about Papillio making for interesting offspring so I decided to go ahead and give that a whirl!

11 years ago

So, what did you order..I'm assuming your ordered from EasytoGrowBulbs..if so, I hope you added a Ruby Star to your list and at least 2 papilios since you're most likely only going to get 2 flowers (normal for papilio) and you'll need lots of pap pollen to keep you busy playing bee over the winter! ;-)

Donna

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

No, nothing exciting like that. hehe. I ordered one Papillio bulb from ETGB. ;) With the holidays just around the corner, I'm not sure how much money I can throw at my fun little hobby.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Nearly all are in bloom now. Jade Serpent is just opening (far right). Yes...it's 70 degrees at 0630! UGH. Cool down coming tomorrow!
    K

11 years ago

Is that your Joker? It looks really pretty could you post a close-up please? I'd like to compare the flower to Siren..and when your Princess blooms I'd like to compare that one to the other two. ;-)

I was going to try a WalMart Princess but they only had 2 rather small bulbs. I'll try another WalMart to see if they have a better one.

Donna

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try and photograph it tonight for you.
    K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

{{gwi:428077}}

Got my bulb today but with Hurricane Sandy lingering near the coast, pretty rainy out there. Will try to get this bad boy potted tomorrow depending on the weather. ;)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like you've already got offsets....so may be a bad GIRL! The red looks like bruising or scrapes. Roots look good.
    K

11 years ago

Wow! Looks like you got yourself a "mother" bulb there..when you take it out of the bag take another shot of it for us please..makes me want to buy another one!!

Can you tell us about how big it actually is?

Donna

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Sure, Donna.

One side.
    {{gwi:428079}}

Other side.
    {{gwi:428081}}

11 years ago

Can't wait to see it flower!!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hollywood (far right) just started to open yesterday. Huge bloom, very pink and "Sweet Nymph"-style rigid/random anthers. Hmmm...it and Pap??
    ;-)
    K

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Very beautiful! :D Do you plan to pollinate any of these flowers?

Original Author
    11 years ago

All ready have played bee with several. See all the white strips of paper around the base of the blooms?
    :-)

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

Ooo... Lots of luck to you! :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions