Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing plants in - Insecticides?

Posted by paxfleur VA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 22:58

For those who live in the colder climates, I'm sure many are not looking forward to bringing in all their pots for the winter. I know I'm not! :) Last winter I found many rolly polly bugs a.k.a pill bugs/sow bugs and other miscellaneous bugs in my plant room while my potted plants overwintered indoors - this year, I've decided to treat all the pots prior to bringing them in to avoid freaking out everyone in the house with bugs.

For those who treat their pots prior to bringing them in, could you recommend a good product to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Growing! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing plants in - Insecticides?

I personally use products that have imidacloprid in them. In particular I use Bayer Tree and Shrub products with I believe 1.47% imidacloprid. This is great against spider mites and mealy bugs as well as other things you do not want. Last fall I dosed all my plants a couple of times before bringing them in (2 Tbsp/Gal at the concentration indicated)......I both sprayed the leaves and did a soil soak.....I never had a bug all winter....no spider mites, no aphids, no nothing....first winter ever.....I've already started my regimen this fall. I'm sure there are a ton of other options, but this is what I do. By the way, this is perfectly safe on my Amaryllids from all around the world, my caudiciforms, my aroids and everything else :o) Dan

o

Thanks Dan! Since I nearly poisoned myself and my coworkers with a granular systemic a few years back, I'm glad to know about this alternative. BTW...still use the Bayer granuales, just don't bring them in the house anymore!
:-)
Kristi

o

Hello Dan - Thank you for sharing your invaluable information! :) I'll go check out Home Depot tomorrow to see if they have the Bayer Tree and Shrub (liquid form) in stock. I hate to kill the harmless buggies but I also don't want to have bugs walking around on my white carpet. Have a great day.

o

Pax,

I know exactly how you feel, I HATE killing the harmless bugs :( I hate it! I always feel awful even killing a fly!

o

If you got some extra $ to spare, giving your plants/bulbs a dose of that "High Tech" fungus and bacteria Mycorrhizae/Trichoderma (hope I spelled that right)would help a lot preventing "baddies" overwintering with your plants/bulbs. It works with Imidacloprid but some fungicides and insecticides can kill them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here