Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazyorchids

Hippeastrum Mandonii x Papilio

crazyorchids
9 years ago

I am sure someone has done this cross and would like to know what to expect.
My mandonii bloomed and with no second plant in sight I decided to use the pollen on a few papilio plants.
The pods will be ready soon and I am wondering if they are worth growing.

Comments (15)

• orchids_grower_1946
    9 years ago

I bought some seeds this summer and about 10 seeds i buy 9 are in a good condition.
    Orchids

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Greetings from California to Australia,

If you applied H. mandonii pollen onto H. papilio flowers, H. papilio is the seed parent and H. mandonii is the pollen parent. Thus, your cross would properly be written as H. papilio x H. mandonii.

I was pleased when I successfully made the reverse cross. Yes, I think that the seeds are well worth growing. If you need convincing, check out the link below.

Happy growing,

Blanca

Here is a link that might be useful: H. papilio x H. mandonii

• crazyorchids
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Blanca.
    I think I have seen that picture before.
    Being a hybrid however I would have thought there might be more variety in the flowers.
    I think I will grow some of the seed and the rest I might offer for trade to those interested.
    Jose

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Jose,

In general, primary hybrids will produce offspring that are intermediate between the two parents.

-Blanca

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

My mandonii x papilio bloomed last year and I was completely unimpressed with it. The papilio was completely recessive and it looked just like an ordinary red bloom with some white in it. I have read that papilio is very recessive and it's crosses generally take the shape and color of the other parent.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Here is the excerpt from the article I was talking about.
    Vigor is an attribute of H. papilio and bulbs are comparatively large. This vigor is passed on to progeny with several parent combinations. Flower characteristics is another issue. Most H. papilio crossed with another species usually will result in F1 seedlings which show flowers influenced by the other parent. Flower form and size may be affected, but color predictably will be dominated by the other parent. Without parent knowledge, one would be hard pressed to visually identify H. papilio traits in many of its F1 hybrids. The same may hold true with the F2 generation unless back crossed with H. papilio (and this could be a longer shot than expected). Third generation F3 crosses with both parents having H. papilio in the parent trail have produced seedlings that reveal some H. papilio traits. (And a limited few are somewhat close.)
    I think this explains why I have been disappointed with many of my papilio crosses.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Here is the excerpt from the article I was talking about.
    Vigor is an attribute of H. papilio and bulbs are comparatively large. This vigor is passed on to progeny with several parent combinations. Flower characteristics is another issue. Most H. papilio crossed with another species usually will result in F1 seedlings which show flowers influenced by the other parent. Flower form and size may be affected, but color predictably will be dominated by the other parent. Without parent knowledge, one would be hard pressed to visually identify H. papilio traits in many of its F1 hybrids. The same may hold true with the F2 generation unless back crossed with H. papilio (and this could be a longer shot than expected). Third generation F3 crosses with both parents having H. papilio in the parent trail have produced seedlings that reveal some H. papilio traits. (And a limited few are somewhat close.)
    I think this explains why I have been disappointed with many of my papilio crosses.
    Maida

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hi Maida,

IâÂÂm really sorry to hear that your papilio crosses have yielded disappointing results.
    It is surprising that you obtained âÂÂan ordinary red bloom with some white in itâ from your H. mandonii x H. papilio cross.

In the following links, you will be able to see the similarity of Jim Shieldsâ sibling seedlings from a 2002 cross of H. papilio x H. mandonii. In addition, you will be able to compare them with Erick LuxâÂÂs seedling from the same cross, and a different seedling from the reverse cross (i.e., H. papilio x H. mandonii).

IâÂÂm sorry that I couldnâÂÂt find a way to post all the links in one message.

Best,

Blanca

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum [papilio x mandonii] Feb 2012

This post was edited by blancawing on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 21:12

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Part 2

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum [papilio x mandonii] Mar 2010

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Part 3

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum [papilio x mandonii] Feb 2010

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Part 4

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum [papilio x mandonii] Erick Lux

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Part 5

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum [mandonii x papilio] Erick Lux

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

This cross of Hipp. equestre x papilio turned out a little better.

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Here is another papilio cross that was not too bad - puniceum x papilio.
    Maida

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Here is the same puniceum x papilio cross last year.
    Maida

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz