Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clancy1985

First bloom, new cross for me

clancy1985
9 years ago

It was almost five years in the making... but the first bloom of this cross is finally here. Actually, it's the second as the first (with two scapes, each of two flowers) got eaten by snails and slugs. Anyway, pod parent was xJohnsonii and pollen parent papilio. Now I'm waiting for the reverse cross to bloom.

Hope everyone's enjoying their hippeastrums!

Comments (14)

• dangles
    9 years ago

very pretty flower good job well done danny

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hi Clancy!

That's a very bright and cheerful face on your lovely flower, congratulations!! I know 5 years seems like a long time but with a few exceptions that is how much time most of my crosses are taking too!! Seemingly forever......

Donnaâºâºâº

• haweha
    9 years ago

Crossbreeding with H.papilio is possibly the most rewarding breeding project for private breeders. Thank you for sharing your result!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Very lovely indeed. I am so appreciative of people who share their photos. It gives me ideas of possible crosses to make and what the possible outcome may be.

It's convenient that you are getting springtime blooms just as we are putting things away in preparation for winter!

I look forward to seeing what the reverse cross looks like!
    KristiðÂÂÂ

• lenanen
    9 years ago

Beautiful result! Thank you for sharing. I am endlessly interested in others' results with their crosses. Can't wait to see your next creation.

• clancy1985
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It certainly does seem like forever, Donna, you're absolutely right! But it's all good fun. Many thanks for all the kind words. I'm quite happy with this cross, the colour's becoming a bit more rich with maturity, and I'd call it an 'honest' bloom - I find it really nice to look at. As for the other seedlings, I think it'll be a while before I see the next flower...

Thanks again!

• clancy1985
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello friends, finally the reverse cross has bloomed - two more years down the line! I'm quite surprised that the results are similar, yet to my eye (and in the petal) this one has much more of a trumpet shape, more toward x johnsonii. I'm waiting on three more (with x johnsonii as the pod parent) to bloom, and the scapes are well on their way. Hope all is well with everyone's gardens, both indoors and out.

• Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Very pretty blooms!!! It looks like it has the best of both parents and I wonder if it inherited the cold hardiness from it x johnsonii parent? Either way, congratulations on your hard work and she really is quite pretty :-)))

clancy1985 thanked Fred Biasella
  • Patrick Hudnall
    7 years ago

Fine work getting blooms both ways. The hardiness of Johnsonii and resistance and color patterns of pap should make for splendid plants. Just a reminder for those who wish to plant papilio crosses in the ground; be careful. They have a low tolerance for wet feet. I was reminded of this, this summer.

clancy1985 thanked Patrick Hudnall
  • clancy1985
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all. Since that first bloom was posted, we've moved 600-or-so kilometres north to a much different climate and garden (or lack thereof) situation. All but one of the hippie bulbs are now in the ground and to be honest, seem much happier for it. Patrick, I hear your advice re the wet feet. There's little chance of that here as summer rains are low. But come winter again I'll have to monitor what moisture happens.

• clancy1985
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another with a fair trumpet-like shape, but a much more creamy-green. I like it! x johnsonii is the pod parent for this one.

• Elena75
    7 years ago

Very nice seedling! Good job!

clancy1985 thanked Elena75
  • Fred Biasella
    7 years ago

Wow, very beautiful!!! I really like the uniform shape and color. Congratulations :-)))

clancy1985 thanked Fred Biasella
Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA