Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed request

Posted by dangles none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 8:21

hi everyone im having a great flowering season many seedlings flowering for the first time a good number of them are doubles 2 of the doubles are huge flowers 1 is magenta in colour the other one is multi coloured pink very pretty also some very pretty and stunning singles still have about 100 more seedlings coming into flower so im taking lots of photoes will start downloading them soon is it possible for someone on the forum to send me some self seeds of panda also prelude i think that is the name of them they are red with large white edges thank u in advance and happy hippy growing my addicted friends

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed request

Hi Danny,
By the name Panda do you mean Samba? Prelude and Samba are basically the same the I think Samba is more dramatic. If it is Samba you're thinking of, I have one and my dad has one but neither will be blooming for many months. When they do I'd be glad to self some for you...

We all look forward to seeing your pictures so don't keep us in suspense too much longer.

I'm attaching a picture of my father's Samba..his was always a bit nicer than mine.

Donna

o

thank you donna yes that is the one that i am wantingits just gorgous regards and happy growing danny

o

It will be interesting to see what you get if you self Samba since we know that the offspring seedlings' blooms might look nothing like the parent! Too bad we'll have to wait 2 to 4 years to find out!!
K

o

It will be interesting to see what you get if you self Samba since we know that the offspring seedlings' blooms might look nothing like the parent! Too bad we'll have to wait 2 to 4 years to find out!!
K

o

Actually, I think I may have a seedling or two of selfed Samba somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find it in my maize of seedlings. I only kept 1 or 2 if I remember correctly...

o

I found it. There are three seedlings. One very vigirous, the second with two small leaves and the third sitting on top of the soil (don't ask me why) with no leaves.

:-)
Donna

I also have a few still outside in the ground of Samba x Dancing Queen..those should be loud enough don't you think?

o

donna how big is the flower on samba the reason i want the seeds is to get the white edge so tha i can cross it onto some realy dark reds and hope to get white edges on them i can but only try i tried to buy samba from distributor but they said they had an agreement not to sell into australia regards and happy growing danny

o

Danny, I never measured the flower but I would say that it is at least 6" maybe a little over..it's a large outstanding flower when it's happy.

I acquired two bulbs about 4 years ago and I gave one to my father. His bulb always gave nicer larger flowers than mine did even though I got them at the same time from the same distributor. I'll make the seed from his when I get the chance. As I say, it won't be for some time since his is still out on the deck and needs to go in his cold attic for a few months..I'll keep you posted! Samba makes huge seedpods so I should have lots of healthy seeds to send you...
Donna

o

Danny, I never measured the flower but I would say that it is at least 6" maybe a little over..it's a large outstanding flower when it's happy.

I acquired two bulbs about 4 years ago and I gave one to my father. His bulb always gave nicer larger flowers than mine did even though I got them at the same time from the same distributor. I'll make the seed from his when I get the chance. As I say, it won't be for some time since his is still out on the deck and needs to go in his cold attic for a few months..I'll keep you posted! Samba makes huge seedpods so I should have lots of healthy seeds to send you...
Donna

o

Danny, seems reasonable that a dark red will dominate and your chance of a white edge will be small.

If you can get your hands on a virus-free Russian Halo bulb, that will give you a nice dark red with white picotee edge.
K

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here