Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macroclemys

Has anyone heard of Hippeastrum 'pixie'?

macroclemys
10 years ago

This seems to be new this week at Living Gardens. Has anyone heard of this? If this is really a Hippie and the image is honest, then it looks different than anything else out there. This page SUGGESTS that it is from Hadeco (http://www.livinggardens.com/blog/charles-hadeco-company), but there is no mention of it on the Hadeco page. Might it be a Lycoris?

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixie

Comments (47)

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

Well i came accross this picture.

It might be accurate or not but I don't seem to have any other details or information. It might exist under a different name though and some more under here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Gardens

This post was edited by rgebczynski on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:29

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Well, Guys..

I'm afraid I couldn't resist this one; the price is surely reasonable enough and if this was a Komoriya bulb it would be 4 times as much! I bought 2.....hope someone else out there succumbed too...(??)

Donna

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Wow. I'm tempted to self-breed it over and over to see if I can make yellow the most dominant, or the only, color on it.

It said on the page that it's South African, though. Is it really hippeastrum?

10 years ago

Joe,

Many of the bulbs many of us grow and love are from South Africa (Hadeco) Alfresco, Zombie and Fanare to name a few; dozens of them.

If you could get your hands on some of the Komoriya pollen from Piyo Piyo (mine never bloomed) and pair it with Pixie you might have something. Of course you can freeze Pixie's pollen until such an opportunity presents itself...There are other Komoriya yellows that might fit the bill too...Here is a link for you to peruse in your spare time.

I do think you should order one or two just incase, as I have a feeling they will sell out sooner rather than later...;-)

Donna

Actually, I rather like the color the way it is, a peachy yellow if it does look like that. And I have some pollen of Komoriya's Lemon Gold but I don't think that would be the right way to go as it wasn't really more than a strong cream even though it was beautiful...

Here is a link that might be useful: komoriya bulbs

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 16:57

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

So, so tempting but I promised myself no more seeds or bulbs until I have the space... But what's really holding me back is that the "Candy Floss" I bought from EdensBlooms a while back were from Hadeco and they came loaded with rust that eventually spread through my amaryllis bed. Thiomyl hasn't done a thing to eradicate it. It just seems to try to lessen the symptoms of it.

I think I'll live vicariously through you. :O

Also, I noticed while looking through the LG site, they had a bulb named Tinkerbell. Is that the same company that you got your Tinkerbell from and they replied saying they never intended to send that to you - but liked the name you gave it?

10 years ago

Yep, it Tinkerbell # 2!! MIne in the original one off and they did ask me if they could use the name as they liked it for when they released "their" Tinkerbell. Of course I had to say OK after all the bulbs are all theirs so, I bought one of the newer ones and I know it won't be as fetching as mine...

They said they were not going to release my version because they didn't like the way it performed in subsequent years and after all on my second year I did get two conjoined flowers... two!!'

Donna

And just one more thought, I've had problems with a few Hadeco bulbs in the past too so I will keep these by themselves until I'm sure they're alright. I have several other Hadeco bulbs that have been just fine for several years with no problems whatsoever.

I'm thinking as this is a new release that this first batch will be just fine..after they've been around for a few years I guess anything can happen...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 17:46

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

It almost looks like a Lycoris, but you would think that they would know the difference. I reminds me of the Japanese ones they were selling on eBay last year as cluster amaryllis. It is a pretty bloom none the less and I also bought two.
    Maida

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

Yup...it's a Hadeco bulb...
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Barnhoorn and H. Pixie

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Wow, that is so cool, Donna! To have a hand in the naming of a bulb is pretty much an honor. :D

Well, I do have a 25 dollar visa gift card that's just sitting around. I saw Intokazi on there and I know I've wanted that every time I saw it. I could buy a Pixie and Intokazi and it should be under 25 bucks ...

And if white is recessive, depending on what else is in their genes, I would totally love to cross them if they bloom at the same time and... ugh. I'm doing it again. :O

edit: Okay, I placed an order for 1 Pixie and 1 Intokazi. I blame you, Donna! :p

This post was edited by dragonstone on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 19:09

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Why do I come to this forum when I know what an enabler Donna is (I mean that in the best way of course) :)

An yes I thought I was finished for the year and yes I bought some too!
    -J

10 years ago

Well if this is a Lycoris then we'll have something else to grip about! We will know soon they are mailing them right out, mine went out about 2 hours after I placed my order! Stay tuned and hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised!!

A few years back they had a bulb named Thi Thi (spelling) that was slightly similar in shape but I never saw it offered for sale by anyone.

And Joe as for naming their new bulb Tinkerbell I didn't actually name it they just liked my name for the other bulb that I received as a mislabel. I think it may only cause confusion as the other bulb is all over the internet as Tinkerbell and I'm not going to change mine..now there will be two. ;-)
    Maybe Tinkerbell # 1 ??

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems strange that Hadeco would not show it on their own site, considering that they commonly show other varieties that are not yet on the market (as well as those that they no longer produce). The Living Garden page that profiles Charles Barnhoorn does not actually say anything to indicate that it is a Hadeco variety. Anyway, it will be fun to see what we get!

10 years ago

"We" Did you succumb too? I feel fairly confident it's a Hadeco product or else why would they have put the picture of Pixie right in the middle of their article..but as you say, if will be fun to see what we get. The big question is whether or not it is actually an amaryllis; it does somewhat resemble a Lycoris...

10 years ago

Hmmmm...I think we've been had..does anyone know what a Lycoris bulb looks like; does it look like these?

{{gwi:429180}}

Talk about lightning speed, I just ordered these about 24 hours ago. They were sent from New Hampshire, maybe they have a warehouse there. I do think I see a bud poking out of one and hopefully for their diminutive size they will perform better than the Japanese bulbs of a similar size whatever they are!

Donna

;-)

Pixie is an appropriate name but perhaps Thumbelina might have been better...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 15:38

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

Most Lycoris bulbs that I have seen are dark color with long necks. My guess is that they are amaryllis just like they said.
    Maida
    P.S. Just received an e-mail that mine are in the mail.
    You're right what quick shipping.

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Y'all are scaring me. I don't want a lycoris. :p I better be receiving an amaryllis bulb here! hehe.

10 years ago

Thai Thai is still listed on the Hadeco site (page 2 of cultivars) as being available to commercial growers and retailers; however, something on the site made me think that it hadn't been updated since the 2012 season. That would explain H. Pixie not being on board. I suppose someone could always contact Hadeco directly to ask them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Thai is on page 2

10 years ago

Checked my printout of the KAVB database, of registered Hippeastrum cultivars. Well, well, well.... In 1960 Ludwig & Co registered H. Pixie. The online database is down for maintenance, but I may email my contact at KAVB (from registration of H. Gordie) to get a description of the H. Pixie in the database to see if it's this little yellow gem (or more likely a pink with white star?!). Guess we'll know soon enough. If that isn't fruitful, I can try another path.
    K

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

It's now registered on DG's PlantFiles but no information about it except a picture uploaded by a representative for Living Gardens. They classified it as Hippeastrum.

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

I bought one yesterday, love the color.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

Ok, so immediately after reading this I went on their website and ordered 'Pixie' and 'Tinkerbell'...couldn't resist. I'm thinking they might produce some cute and possibly 'mini' offspring? Stay tuned.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are certainly Hippeastrum. I received mine today, and both have scapes emerging. One has no roots. The other has some living roots, but there is a gash in the bulb.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I like this one. Hopefully it performs better than Piyo Piyo.

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Mine arrived today. Also golfball-sized. Very small when compared to the other bulb! Also, should I be concerned about the spelling of Intokazi? Is Intokasie a name meant for another white flower or is it an interchangeable spelling?

{{gwi:429181}}

I can see a scape coming out of Intokazi(?) and I'm not sure about Pixie yet.

• Fred Biasella
    10 years ago

I just received my Pixie yesterday and it looked like it had some mold on the roots. I plucked all the dead roots and dusted the "live" roots/basal plate with sulpher powder and I'll wait for this weekend to plant it. I want to make sure any mold is dealt with.

10 years ago

Hi Fred,

I had some of that green mold on one of mine too, I scraped it off with my fingernail and pulled the dead roots and sat it on top of the soil with the other one. One has a bud slowly poking up and the moldy doesn't.
    This will either be a joyous occasion for all of us or disappointment. Either way we will be in good company...

Joe I would say it's just a spelling mistake but don't know for sure as I don't have one.

Maria: These are larger than my Piyo Piyos if you can believe it! I thought Piyo Piyo and Pixie might be good to pair together or one of the other Japanese frilly yellows but mine won't bloom. Only yellow to bloom was Lemon Gold and as lovely as it was It's not the right mate for Pixie...

Maybe I'll just stand back and enjoy this one and not pollinate it I've got to try to limit myself this year as my seedlings are getting out of hand. I'm going to try to limit myself to experimenting with both my aulicum's pollens this season. My Komoriya pods aborted; I had put my fresh papilio hybrid on one and older Exotic Star on the other and at first they appeared to have taken but then the stalk collapsed and that was that. I have gifted frozen papilio pollen on the two Telos flowers and it's just been a few days but so far so good...I dabbed for at least 5 days 3 times a day and the flowers never wilted so I'm just guessing that this cross took. I would have expected the flowers to wilt long before they did....

Donna

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

Still waiting for mine to come. Maybe tomorrow. These should be nice if they bloom the way the looked in the pics. Strange year for these bulbs - at least for me. I have some reblooming now (lemon lime - no surprise lol; exotic nympth, and exotic star has been off and on all year (different offsets). Both aulicum and calyptratum aborted but the calyptratum is happily (well at least not dying) hanging off a tree in orchid mix. Aulicum is just ok. Thinking I will just look at Donna's pictures of them and quit trying to grow them :)
    -J

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday and two of them had tiny scapes peaking. Their tiny bulbs look like the Dutch Garden sonatinis. More bulbs to give extra TLC.

Donna...Piyo piyo would test your patience. My Piyo piyo bulbs were really finicky here in my growing conditions and are not regular bloomers.

• jstropic (10a)
    10 years ago

They arrived! and have the beginning of scapes. Looking forward to seeing how they will turn out. Hoping they stay small and have great color - not too much to hope for - right? Trying to think if I should thank Donna for this or not lol

Maria, are the sonatinis difficult, I wondered why Royal Colors didn't have them this year.
    -J

10 years ago

Actually it was Bill aka Macroclemys who should get the credit for this discovery, not me! ;-)

• mariava7
    10 years ago

I acquired a bunch of these Dutch garden sonatinis several years back when I was into miniatures and they were said to be kinda "hardy". Not true in my garden. They would bloom for me on their first year, some on the second year and then almost none of them would perform after that. If they get sick, it's so hard for them to recover due to their tiny bulbs and small root system. They were late spring/early summer bloomers so I don't know how these Pixie bulbs would do this winter.

10 years ago

I had 2 waiting for me when I got home, one has a scape and the other looks like it was rotting in the neck. I cut it down just a bit and the inner layers of the bulb don't look so well. I've contacted LG customer service. Stay tuned.
    Kristi

10 years ago

One of my H. Pixies has the start of a scape, but I had to trim the neck of my other H. Pixie bulb. Anyone see anything odd?
    K

• macroclemys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kristi,
    Mine seem to be healthy, other than a cut on the side that does not seem to be causing any side effects.
    Bill

10 years ago

Mine are healthy too! Both are sending up tiny buds...hmmm I wonder just what they will look like.....;-) ;-)???

Donna

10 years ago

I am having email dialogue with LG regarding my bulb. At first they said that they didn't see anything wrong with the bulb, but then after a detailed response, they sent fhe photo around for review and concluded that the bulb clearly is not healthy. They have offered a replacement. Hmmmm.....Living Gardens has removed Pixie from their pages. Wonder what that means?

;-) right back atcha Donna!!
    K

Here is a link that might be useful: empty Pixie page!

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Hopefully you get a new replacement, K. :) I'm thinking they removed Pixie because it sold out. I noticed Intokazi was removed from their page a while back when I tried to send the link to a friend to show her what it'll look like when it blooms.

10 years ago

They have offered a replacement for the bulb. Looks like Living Gardens provides good customer support. YAY!
    K

10 years ago

see new thread
    K

• lokai99
    6 years ago

I love going back and reading these post from before I joined the forum. So much cool stuff! I adore this Pixie! I remember another older post about using Lycoris pollen in hopes to achieve an intergeneric hybrid. I wonder if Pixie might be something along those lines.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Joey,

Yes, we were all pretty excited about Pixie and most of us ordered a couple and all turned out to be a small white or something similar (I forget the name) not a one of us ever saw a Pixie. It seems to have fallen through the cracks.....

Poor Living Gardens, they were sent so many incorrect bulbs over the years and were very good about doing right by us all, that this year they are no longer selling hippeastrum bulbs. (are they still in business?) One year we thought we were ordering Ruby Meyer and we all got Quito, not bad but not Ruby Meyer and last year there was the Thai Thai debacle, with only a few of us lucky ones winning the lottery!! There were other mislabels also so it is any wonder they gave up the ghost!!

Donna

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Hi Donna,

I actually found the follow up post from 2016 where it was communicated that other hybrids were given priority over Pixie and perhaps we might not expect to see it anytime soon if ever.

The shape of Pixie caught my eye for sure. I am curious as to what parentage may have been involved to achieve that shape.

• oleg9grower
    6 years ago

Pixie is not a lycoris, as you already noticed. It is hippeastrum with small flowers. What is depicted in the photo is not yellow hippeastrum, it is light orange. If it is hybridized with yellow varieties, then do not get yellow, but orange, red, et cet.

Because yellow is obtained from hippeastrum evansiae then these hybrids lost their yellow color if the other parent was colored.

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Thank you for your response.I was just grasping at straws to imagine what crossings came up with that surprising shape. I think I remember lycoris being more closely related to narcissus... but I am foolhardy and willing to try many things for the off chance of pollination.

6 years ago

Jody, I was one of the ones who drew the lucky straw and got one and mine hasn't grown in size but is producing decent leaves so I am very happy!! No offsets yet either, just a small weed keeping it company in the pot!! I think there were only about 5 o 6 of us who actually ended up with one. I wonder how the others are doing? I had no success whatsoever with her pollen though...

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Hi, Jody, Thai Thai was on my list to definitely purchase this year before the news of Living Gardens broke. I even reached out to some friends in South Africa to acquire ThaiThai directly, but I was warned by them that the SA post is slow, expensive, and unreliable....so I suppose I'll continue to be on the lookout for Thai Thai like so many others are.

Donna, oh no! I was keeping fingers crossed that Thai Thai might have taken on your Jungle Star. Drats!

~Joey

Sponsored
More Discussions