Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Forced/Extended Dormancy...vs. Activating the Growth Cycle????

I live in NYC, and starting in January through March, the days can be very dark and dreary, and plants that are actively growing can get very little sun, even if grown in a south-facing window.

Question: .... Is there any advantage by storing dormant Hipp. bulbs in the refrig. until Feb-March, so that they could start their growing cycle in better lighting/day-length/full sun, conditions? .... I just got a very large, jumbo-size bulb that was shipped in a dormant state, and, now I'm wondering if I should continue to keep it dormant, or, should I just plant the bulb now, and restart the growing cycle, and keep it growing throughout the dark winter months, into the Spring, Summer, 2012, etc. and then wait for the natural dormancy-cycle to kick in again in Fall, 2012? (How's that, for a run-on sentence)?

If, when storing bulbs in the refrig, do you keep the bulbs buried in slightly damp milled sphagnum moss, or, do you store them dry?

I have to make a decision right away. Should I continue to keep my new bulb dormant, .... or, should I plant it now, and let it grow?

HELP !!!!!

Comments (5)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I'm hoping others will chime in but I can definitely tell you to store your bulb DRY....some wrap in newspaper, others just leave them in the bags, but if you introduce any additional moisture (fridges are a little moist on their own) you'll only be asking for mold and rot.

Now...Frank...99% of the people who order bulbs want to plant them and get blooms in 4+ weeks for Thanksgiving and the holidays. So...these bulbs are primed to bloom. By forcing them to be dormant for too long, 1 of 2 things will happen: 1) they'll either put up the scape in the fridge or 2) they'll say "forget it" and the scape will die inside the bulb. So....since it's such a huge bulb and will no doubt give you numerous scapes, why don't you just plant it and start pampering it now?? That's what I'd do. You pay extra for a prime bulb, enjoy it!
    K

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Kristi's advice is right on..pot your bulb up now and enjoy it since it has already been primed to bloom for the holidays..any more forced dormancy will cause the buds to shrivel inside the bulb and/or you could end up with short stunted stems.. and I'd say you're going to have at the least 3 scapes on this beauty.

Any bulbs stored in the refrigerator should be kept totally dry they can develop mold so easily..

Your bulb is raring to go so let it have it's way and please post pictures when it does bloom and I sincerely hope you got your Naranja..but whatever it is it I'm sure it will be lovely...

Donna

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

God!....I'm so glad I put out this question to the more experienced growers! The answers to my questions were NOT what I expected to read, and were very helpful. My decision has been made. The fat, juicy bulb gets planted today.

Now, assuming all goes well with the plant, and it flowers and thrives right into next Summer, will the plant/bulb go into a natural dormancy period as Fall-'12 approaches, and the weather cools and the days grow shorter, or, do I have to induce a dormancy period to let the bulb rest.

I've read postings on this subject, but there doesn't seem to be a definite consensus as to whether or not these Hipps. "need" a dormancy period.

Opinions, please.....thanks.

Frank

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    12 years ago

I don't think you'll get agreement on whether or not they "need" a dormancy. I think dormancy and blooming upon "waking" are just a little more predictive for the timing of blooms. If you let them grow as evergreens, then they aren't on a natural cycle and could bloom at random times. Look at the people (JOSH) who grow under lights and get blooms during the summer months. Jodi did this too! So, it's just dependant on what your set up is and what you prefer!
    :-)
    K

• val1
    12 years ago

I have an amarylis bulb that I potted up last fall. It bloomed beautifully in January. I continued to care for the plant after the blooms died. It sits in a south facing window. I have been fertilizing it with each watering and the leaves are beautiful. As a leaf yellows and dies I remove it. It still has five very green beautiful leaves and It looks like a new one is emerging. There is also a bulblet in the pot and it's leaves are green too. I thought that they would all turn yellow and go dormant. What do I need to do?

Sponsored
More Discussions