Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
preparring for winter

Posted by isabeaux z7GA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 10:13

I put a lot of my plants into the ground this summer--its chancy in Atlanta but people have success so thought I sould try. Question is should I cut off the foliage now or wait for it to die back and freeze. Foliage looks very healthy still although we have had nights in the 40's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: preparring for winter

I live near Houston and we have cool nights later too. I would watch the weather and wait. Let the leaves die back on their own. Mulch heavily later in the fall, so if there is a freeze the bulbs should be protected. If it freezes when the leaves are still on, then they will die back. If you have been reading lately, most of us agree that it's best for the bulb to let the leaves die back on their own without cutting off green leaves.
Kristi

o
RE: preparring for winter

Hi isabeaux, I'm in Raleigh and I'm going to try to leave some of mine out this year for the first time as well. (Just some of the many Red Lions and their bulblets, so if I lose them I won't be too very crushed.) I am planning to put a bunch of mulch on top of them in the next week or so, and just leave the leaves to yellow on their own. Many of the outer leaves of the bulbs have started to yellow already.

I'm hoping to be successful with leaving mine out because lifting them all is getting to be a chore. And growing them in the ground during the summer is something they seem to benefit from. Good luck to us both!

Alana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here