Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Need advice

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

I have several Amaryllis growing in the ground for the summer and several babies I am growing from seed. We have had a couple of frosts and are due for more this week. The foliage isn't even yellowing and I am wondering if I should dig them anyway?

I don't want to wait for a hard frost but don't want to dig too soon either. If I dig them, should I cut off the foliage or just leave it to die naturally?

Comments (18)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

You can dig them up and lay them (with leaves) somewhere cool. The leaves will die back and all will be well again!

You asked the very same question on Oct 7th...and you had an answer then!! Get busy!!
    ;-)
    K

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my, I did! It's a senior thingie. Nice to be able to blame everything on age now. Anyway - thanks. I will dig them all today.

10 years ago

hehehe.....I know what you mean!
    Just lay them on newspaper somewhere where they can be undisturbed, and let the leaves die back. Once they die back, you can cut the necks to clean them up!
    K

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

The babies from seed should keep growing if you take them inside.

10 years ago

True AJ....I had focused on her prior message re: the bulbs! But...if she digs up the seedlings, depending on how big they are, they can go dormant too!
    K

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The babies are the size of marbles. (Do kids today know what marbles are?) I suppose it can't hurt to just pot the little guys up all together and go easy on the watering.

10 years ago

I would keep the seedlings potted. I still have my marbles...including the shooters!
    K

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish I had mine --- I carried them to elem. school in a pillow case. We called the shooters 'hoggers'. Thanks for the info!

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Just a quick thought from me, I would do as AuntJemima suggests and repot your seedlings and grow them on in the house...you can cut the leaves down by a third and they might be less unruly but they should continue to grow new leaves. If you put your marble sized seedling into dormancy you might not live to see them bloom!! Believe me, I know... ;-)

I've been using large Dunkin' Donuts ice coffee cups with 4 drainage holes poked in the bottom and 1 to 2 inches of crushed stone (for ballast) and put one or two of your largest seedling in each cup. ( I save everything) It's fun the watch the roots grow and you can easily tell when they are dry...just a suggestion as I'm always trying something new...

I also used this method for most of my Komoriya bulbs as they were so small and you can see the results!!

Donna

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

Hey RyseRyse_2004, don't worry about that senior moment, I can't remember the last time I forgot!

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, that is the method I use for starting tomato seeds. (I use the 16 oz. clear beer cups with holes in the bottom.) I just put a few inches of soil in the bottom with the seeds and as they grow, I back fill. It is great to see how the roots are growing and I have very sturdy plants ready for transplant in the spring.

Sorry - off topic but I didn't know anybody else used the clear cups.

10 years ago

Donna, you are drinking way too many Dunkin Donuts drinks!!

I still have all my marbles and they are in a glass jar on a shelf in the living room. They are from the early 60s! Never heard them called "hoggers"...

K

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

I put some marbles i found on the top of pots as decorations. :) You can get fancy ones from garden centres and they cost a fortune. :p

I used clear orchid pots for the same reason, so i could monitor the roots and water situation.

10 years ago

Iced coffee in the summer keeps me alive and awake!!I Have saved these cups for a few years now and Hubby gets quite annoyed when he opens a closet door and 200 stacked coffee cups fall out...I knew there would come a day when I would find a use for them!! He's happily punching holes in the bottoms for me now....

I find it fascinating to watch the roots grow..they don't seem to mind being watched and monitoring the water is very easy as pancake man says...and... as far as I know I have all my marbles too, but they're in my head... ;-)...Donna

10 years ago

removed duplicate posting...once was enough...

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 16:42

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Sounds like me.. lol... I just dig in the recycling bag and see what i find.

I notice the roots go green with algae sometimes... is that helpful or is that just suffocating them?

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

I don't think that is algae. The light induces the roots to produce chlorophyll and become photosynthetic. It might help them produce a little food.

10 years ago

See... Here they are from 1966+
    K

This post was edited by kaboehm on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 9:05

Sponsored
More Discussions