Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So happy!

Posted by holantina (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 10:19

This post isn't about amaryllis, i know, but i wanted to share why i'm so glad with you. I got my first orchid to bloom at home :-). I'm so happy! . I love orchids, but for some reason i was not having a lot of success in taking proper care for them. I mean, they did not certainly die or something, but they wouldn't want to bloom. I bought this one last winter and followed a friend's advice: to put it outside in the summer. It worked! Begin spetember i discovered two flowers spikes, yippie!

But (there is always a but) it wasn't the cultivar I had ordered, though. I thought i had purchased Oncidium Sharry Baby Sweet Fragance, but this is something else. Could be an oncidium, but it could be a miltonia.

So guys, does anybody know how i must call this mistery orchid?
You see, not only amaryllis lovers get mixed up orders :-)

The orchid:

Photobucket

A bit closer:

Orchid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So happy!

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 11:49

Congratulations! I love orchids, too... and I keep a small collection of them, along with all my bulbs.

I'm no expert, but I believe I've seen that orchid before... it's an intergeneric, a Degarmoara, I think, with Miltoniopsis, Brassia and/or Odontoglosum in its background... but I can't recall the exact name.

I think if you post that photo in the Orchid Forum, someone can help you to identify it by name.

My own collection consists of a few Phals, Epis, Dens, and Catts. My only Oncidium looks to be on its way out... although, it does have a tiny new green growth starting. If I can keep it alive long enough for the tiny growth to gain some size, it might flourish.

Growing orchids indoors in the north is a difficult task, unless you have the environment for them. I don't. I do have artificial lighting, but not enough humidity.

Whatever its name, it's very beautiful! Thank you for sharing... and I hope you find out its name. Even if it's not exactly what you ordered, it's lovely! I'd consider it a keeper!

I'm including a link to a very interesting blog about orchids... I learned quite a bit reading it, and the photos are very drool-worthy! Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Richard's Orchid Blog

o

Lee Valley has just announced a special on an orchid book:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=64290&cat=2,46154,47445 Only $5.00!

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Guide to Orchids

o

Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 11:57

I saw that you got your orchid identified over at the Orchid Forum... Winter Wonderland! I wasn't sure if that was the exact name... some of the photos I found showed a solid white flower. I knew they could help, though!

I'm very glad... now you can tag it properly, and you know exactly what to call it! What a beauty!

o

Yes, you both were right, here and at the orchid forum! very smart of you, wow! It is indeed a Degarmoara Winter Wonderland and i'm still very happy with it :-).
I think the flowers are of a soft and tender elegance. It is like having serenity in a flower.
Definitely a keeper. With a correct tag now :-D

o

Jodik,
Now i am even more sure it is Dergamoara Winter Wonderland. The flowers have turned whiter and they are scented! So everything matches the description i found online ONCE i had the right name. Many thanks! I'm even happier with my orchid, if that's possible.

o

Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 8:48

Happy to help! I'm glad you found the right name!

Sometimes, getting the wrong plant can turn out ok... you certainly got a lovely orchid, even though they sent you the wrong one... I love nicely scented flowers!

o

You betja! I'm secretly happy they got messed up there at the online orchid shop, hehehehe....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here