Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Komoriya doing something to prevent rooting?

Posted by fishing-dentist 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 10:33

That is my great question! Are these bulbs prepared to single use? I have a lot problems, to bring them to root. What are Your experiences?
Best regards
Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Komoriya doing something to prevent rooting?

You are not alone Frank!
My unhappy Komoriya bulbs with most having no roots or leaf even after several months of planting... I already threw away/burned 2 bulbs that are sick with mite infestation. :-(

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 12:24

o

Frank,
Well, if they are intending single-use, then the strategy is not working, because I won't get even a single use out of some of mine if they do not root soon! I suspect the problem is that these are more recalcitrant than other bulbs that arrive without roots because these do not have the benefit of being given a resting period, at least for mine, which I received in August. I suspect that they were plucked from their pots during the height of their growth and then mailed. Normally when I have received bulbs with no roots, the lack of roots is the consequence of long holding in dormancy, during which the roots died, so they were ready to wake up. So for my Yellow Georgeous which is in poor condition, I decided to give it to cool, dark, and dry conditions for a month or so to give it some more rest before I try to wake it again.

Bill

o

Well, if misery loves company include me in!

Out of 25 Komoriya bulbs only 3 have bloomed and about 7 have sent up a few leaves and roots and a few more have rooted but no leaves and about 7 or more won't do anything. I have about 6 of them sitting on top of my hot water heater and furnace for some added warmth but nothing yet. Two of them have strange looking leaves but I will admit that one has straightened out but the other, I just don't know... I am so very disappointed. Some of the bulbs that won't do a thing are from my very first order! And lets not for get my aulicum with mites...but I have a couple of seedpods on that one that may mature so I put the plant out each day in the sun and stick it in the garage at night.

I lost one to rot but they did give me a replacement and an extra..the extra is one of the varieties that won't do a thing...these bulbs were/are still hard but I don't know anything else to do but sing to them in Japanese??

Donna

When I emailed them pictures of my afflicted aulicum they said this was natural for aulicum and calyphatrum (sp) and that if it did it next year they would replace it!!! Should I hold my breath??

Anyway, you guys aren't alone and I'll bet there are many more too; others will come forward and some won't....

o

My 4 Komoriya bulbs do nothing, and it's been several months also. Even teyucuarense that was stubborn finally rooted, but not Komoriya. I don't know what to do with them. The big bulb started to develop mold, so I removed it from damp soil and put it to dry out. I really don't know how you guys make them flower, I would be excited to see a root!

o

I guess I am lucky. I have 10-12 and all have rooted and sprouted leaves (4 even bloomed and several have nice offsets), although my Midori___??? is looking poorly. That bulb is shrinking.
K

o

Hi, I am Hiroko Torikai, Komoriya Nursery.
I regret that my explanation was insufficient.
If you receive bulbs of Hippeastrum at the period of growing (almost varieties grow from late spring till late autumn),
you must not plant and water for about 2 months, and keep these bulbs in more than 20° centigrade environment.
If you find the sign of germination, you can plant and water.
(It is ideal to use the warm water.)
If you water these bulbs immediately after receiving bulbs, they will go bad,
because bulbs have no roots, so they can't suck up water themselves immediately.

o

Wait are you saying that you "Komoriya" are sending out bulbs that need to be put into hibernation? Why would you do that when every other supplier send there bulbs ready to be planted?

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 19:46

I think he may be saying that they harvest them when ordered...and if it was the growth season when harvested, they do need a rest period before they're ready to grow again. Probably exascerbated by being rudely scalped and barerooted from the midst of growth.
(but I'm only trying to interpolate...I don't know)

o

"you must not plant and water for about 2 months, and keep these bulbs in more than 20° centigrade environment."

I wish we were informed of this right from the start. And as ya'll can see in my picture above, I was even exposing my Komoriya bulbs to heat(70-80F) and sunlight trying to encourage them to wake up. Poor bulbs! I should have just placed them in the fridge then.

o

Hiroko,
Thank you for contacting the list. Are saying that we should keep the bulbs under 20 degrees centigrade for the first month? When I first read your message, I thought you were instructing us to keep them above 20 degrees, but now I am not sure.

o

First i whas a bit fearing to open that thread because i wont put a bad light on Komoriya but now i am happy, to know, how to ttreat the bulbs for keeping them growing.
Thanks a lot

o

We are shipping cut flowers of our original, more than 1000 varieties, Hippeastrum, Nerine, and so on,for Tokyo Market all the year round.
On the other hand, we have sold bulbs for wholesales since 50 years.
In recent years, we put effort into retail through the internet.

The peak of shipping of Hippeastrum's cut flowers is from winter to spring,so if we send these bulbs from early summer onwards, bulbs finish the flowering.
We received requests of many enthusiasts, and have sold these bulbs all the year round.
If we export all bulbs, we have to cut all leaves and roots, and have a inspection at Plant Protection Station.

Bulbs of Hippeastrum is very strong in the heat but weak in the cold.
So if you receive these bulbs, please observe these bulbs in more than 20 degrees Celsius emvironment,in this way of photo.
If you find the sign of germination, please plant at the warm place and water.

o

I notice that the shipping charges have changed. The majority are still $20 but some are $15 and some are $33! Now one might think that the $33 varieties were huge bulbs but some of the smaller varieties are also $33.

Donna

o

Thank you Hiroko for informing us of how to handle Komoriya bulbs and how Komoriya sells their bulbs. We are used to purchasing bulbs that are ready to bloom. We receive purchased bulbs and plant them and they grow flower, leaves and roots. Other commercial growers who sell cutflowers and bulbs do not sell bulbs to customers that have just had their flowers cut. Bulbs for bulb sale are seperate from bulbs for cutflower.

Now almost all of my Komoriya bulbs are in the unheated garage exposed to 40-55F temps for almost a month now. And Hiroko's advice is to grow them at around 70F and wait. Will need to move them all inside the house now and wait...again! Some of these bulbs have been leafless and rootless for 6 or more months now. Sighhhhhh...

Donna...I also noticed that the shipping cost has gone up. A variety that was thinking of purchasing used to have $20
shipping. Now it's $33.

o

Well don't expect any miracles bringing them indoors. Mine have always been in the house! And, for about 3 weeks I even sat them on top of the water heater which was even warmer; nothing! So they are all back just sitting on a shelf waiting for what only they know. I have 5 that refuse to do anything, 2 of which are probably 5 months old. ( tiny ones).

My Orange Feather when it arrived was huge and now it is about half the size and getting punky. I think I will loose this one and one of my Piyo Piyos. One rooted the other is shrinking. Go figure! Time will tell for my two replacement aulicums. I am hoping for the best, I put my buggy/diseased one in the garage where it is really cold! It will most likely freeze but it's a gonner anyway.

As both times they generously sent me an extra replacement I am just about even so I won't do any more complaining...There are only a couple more that I would be interested in but when I asked he said they wouldn't be selling them any time soon; but, I don't think that I would like paying $33 shipping either...

I also noticed that on the bulbs that have rooted AND have leafed out there are only 2 huge tall leaves! Never more than the 2 leaves...

Donna

o

I have been extremely impressed with the beauty of Komoriya's bulbs but everytime I read these forum posts, I get more and more discouraged I don't want to spend $40-$70 on a flower only to have it died because it wont root or leaf out. And then because I plant them all in the ground I'm afraid the difference in weather from Japan to Arizona is too great and I'll just end up losing it. Would any of you even suggest planting them straight into the ground?

o

Donna,

Just to be clear, are you saying that none of your Komoriya bulbs have more than two leaves?
-J

o

That's right. I have about 5 bulbs with just 2 leaves; large tall leaves but just 2. I have about 10 or so that have rooted but have no leaves at all and I have about 5 or so that have rooted and have one or two partial leaves only up about 2 to 5 inches. I'm really not concerned with the ones that have rooted regardless of the number of leaves but I know I'll probably grow old waiting for some of these to ever bloom! ;-)

On the other hand all my new Israeli and a few new Dutch bulbs are all sending up scapes!! (as well as not-Pixie!!)

Donna

o

Hippeastrum cv. 'Anzal Lemon' has a very expensive shipping - 270 dollars. Or maybe it was a mistake and an extra zero.

o

Actually I count 13 bulbs with a shipping charge of $270!! They must have somebody new working the computer!! I'm sure it's a mistake.....? The shipping charges are all over the stratosphere starting as low as $15.

o

Their shipping is out of sight. When I ordered two bulbs,
they charged me $20.00 shipping for each bulb and did not combine shipping even though the bulbs arrived in one box. I think that I will stay with Eden Bulbs when they get their varieties.
Maida

o

F.... My Komoriyas have mealy bugs! Please check Yours!

o

Hard to have mealy bugs with no leaves.
Maida

o

Hard to have mealy bugs with no leaves.
Maida

o

Thats the promise of death!

o

From an email I got from Hiroko last October...
"all bulbs are now under medical care…"

So........

o

Meaning what do you think??

I haven't had any trouble with mealy bugs so far....and my two replacement aulicums appear to be rooting...but still no roots on about 5 of the older ones and I mean older!!.

Maybe spraying for mites, surely they now agree that they have some problems on that front....

o

Treating mites? mealy bugs? Hopefully not cancer! LOL Who knows Donna! I honestly am sooo tempted to slice them old rootless leafless bulbs and see what's going on inside.

o

My Salmon Taenia is hopeless. It's going to be a cuttage experiment, but being in such poor shape it may not be salvagable.
K

o

Yay! My Yellow Gorgeous has finally rooted! I have had it since early August. After a couple of months of waiting for roots, I gave it 6 weeks of cool, dry rest before potting it in moist perlite (I did not wait for leaves to sprout). I was travelling for the holidays and just came back to a basal plate full of sprouting roots. My two remaining unrooted Komoriya bulbs are still firm, so I am not so worried about them. I hope everyone else has similar results.
Bill

o

Bill, I am very happy that you finally got some rooting action on your Yellow Gorgeous! When I read this I ran to check my 5 still rootless bulb and yes, they are still doing nothing. Still firm though so there is still hope! My Yellow Gorgeous and one other are so darn small, it laughable!

If I am smart I will do as you did and give the a cooling period.

I must add though that my two replacement aulicums are pushing out huge roots!

Donna

o

Very good news Bill and thanks for the update!

Will move my Komoriya bulbs indoors from the garage then and hope that the cool rest works.

o

So...what do you suppose one should do with bulbs that they are shipping out now? Let them rest in the cool/dark until our springtime?
K

o

OK girls and boys, i want to bring a bit light in the dark and have done an experiment. Late in the last year i did take a bit money in my hand and bourgt some hippeastrum bulbs from Mr. Komoriya via ebay before the shipping costs rised.
right after arrival they went into the fridge with 12°C. I only use it for hippies and beer in the basement :-) After 4 weeks dormancy i did woke them up, bathed them in a Captan- solution for 20 minutes and putted some rooting hormone on the basal plate.
Now they are sitting in a mix of cocoa peat, Perlite and Vermiculite inside my little propagator with 20 °C by night and 25°C by day. Now for 2 weeks and nothing is happening. I will be under a lot of tension, what grows in the next time. Best regards and wish me luck! When nothing brings roots, this whas my last bulb shopping at Mr. Komoriyas
Best regards
Frank

Komoriya 2013 photo Komoriya2013.jpg

o

We need to ask him how to treat bulbs he is selling now as we are midwinter and soon will be spring. When he first sold bulbs... Late last spring, I planted the bulbs and immediately got blooms. As the season got later, we had more problems with rooting. I only have 1 that didn't root... But no more blooms after the first batch. Perhaps the scapes were cut off... Some you could clearly tell that this was the case. Most of mine had leaves, but as it got cooler they have died back. I fully hope for blooms this spring.

I need to learn this expensive lesson!!!
K

o

I hope you are right, Kristi! I am less optimistic for blooms this spring on the ones I bought this summer. I think they had recently leafed out after the previous winter's dormancy and then were forced into dormancy again before given a chance to recover. Two of mine are still sleeping, and I think even those will eventually wake up, but I expect to wait at least one more year for flowers. But I hope to be proven wrong. I guess Frank's new bulbs are on the right schedule for the Northern Hemisphere and should flower just fine.

o

Yep Macro i think the same. Timetable must be ok for north of tokyo too. For the flowering i dont worry, but for the rooting. I dont want to tell bad before. let´s see, what´s happening with the roots!

o

Incredibly, yesterday a scape was peeking out of one of my Komoriya bulbs which I was convinced would take another year to bloom. Kristi, I should never have doubted your experience with Hippies! The bulb is "Little Boy", which is one of their less interesting varieties, but was inexpensive.
Bill

o

Thanks Bill. Sometimes I just get lucky!!
I trimmed a few ugly necks down last night and gave them all pep talks.
K

o

In March, 2013 I bought a September Rose Line and in April it sent up a scape about 2" than then dried up. I opened the bud and the desiccated remains of 6 flowers were there. Now it is Jan, nearly a year later and she is sending up another scape. It 's up about 1/2" and I'm really hoping for some flowers this time. The bulb has been rooted for a long time but no sign of any leaves. I am excited!
So, now and then one of these bulbs will throw us a bone and give us a bit of hope?? So Bill, good luck with your Little Boy!

Here she is currently:

Donna

o

Yesterday i did a hard decision! I did make the chipping experiment with my non growing bulbs. Maybe the fear, to loose theyr life wakes them up.

o

Here's an update on my Komoriya bulbs. I brought them indoors like 2 weeks ago, watered them once and am now hoping they will wake up. I really don't know what else to do with these guys. The fall bloomers that did not go through a cold storage are doing well upstairs and are leafing out.

Frank, did your chipping wake your bulbs up?

o

Maria it did! Most of them grow roots in the perlite and in the soil too!
Not all, but most of them. My tip is: When You receive the bulbs or whant to bring them to root, clean them, do a nice clean cutting of the basal plate, dry the cuts, powder with captan and rooting- hormone, put them in perlite, cover them with a plastic foil and put them on a heating mat for reptiles or in a propagator. Leaves are not coming til now, but roots!
Best regards and lots of success!
Frank

o

Just a bit of bad news about my second emerging bud on September Rose Line. This one dried up also. I opened it and it appears to only have held 2 flowers where the first one had 6. I though something might be wrong in the middle of the bulb so I gave the neck a slice down about 1/2 " and all is nice and green so I guess I'll just have to wait; nothing new or different from these Komoriya bulbs.

Donna

o

Frank, for the "rooting" the best is black plastic pot! This pot are so "hot", this is perfect for the bulbs in firts instance. A "cold" pot in ceramic or similar material are not the best way.

o

My H. Lemon Feather is sending up a scape....yay! I had no problems with the bulbs that I first purchased last spring. My bulbs bought during the summer leafed out; all rooted but one. Now it's time for blooms! Hope many of us start seeing more scapes from these beauties!
K

o

I am Hiroko Torikai, Komoriya Nursery.
I am sorry that our bulbs reached you don't grow well.
At that time we dig up bulbs, they are perfect, healthy, flowering size bulbs.
But all roots and leaves have to be cut in order to have the
inspection at Plant Protect Station in Japan.
As you wrote, in this situation, it may hinder not only blooming at also growing itself.
Then, we are going to take exception to Plant Protect Station of Japan, and request that we can send bulbs for overseas at natural condition.
And we will stop selling any bulbs for eBay, for the time being, till this situation will improve.
I appreciate your understanding.

Hiroko Torikai

Komoriya Nursery

o

Dear all,

I ask that you please support Komoriya Nursery for taking action to improve the overseas shipping of their bulbs by requesting an exception from the Plant Protection Station in Japan; which would allow them to ship bulbs in natural condition with roots intact.

I have already written and offered to write a letter of support (or send an email) directly to the Plant Protection Station of Japan. I hope that some of you will join me by doing the same. Sometimes, many voices are needed to make positive change become a reality.

Sincerely yours,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 4:20

o

Yes, I agree that we should do our best to offer support and that a change in the regulations that would allow Komoriya to send the bulbs with at least some roots would benefit us all.

If you have an address for the Plant Protection Station of Japan and you could share it with us it would make it easier for some of us to help out a bit in this matter.

Thanks, Donna

o

Thank you Donna.

I am trying to obtain the address, but it is past 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday night in Japan. I will post info as soon as I am able. I've been up pollinating and planting all night. After I get some sleep, I plan to contact the following:

Embassy of Japan
2520 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.
Washington D.C. 20008-2869
Tel: (202) 238-6700
Fax: (202) 328-2187

Consulate-General of Japan in New York
299 Park Avenue 18th Floor, New York, NY 10171
Tel: (212) 371-8222
Fax: (212) 319-6357

Consulate-General of Japan in San Francisco
50 Fremont St., Suite 2300, San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: (415) 777-3533
Fax: (415) 974-3660

Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles
350 South Grand Avenue, Suite 1700
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Tel: (213) 617-6700
Fax: (213) 617-6727

Below is the contact info for the consulate in Boston, and (for anyone who feels motivated) a link to the complete list for all the consulates of Japan in the United States.

Consulate-General of Japan in Boston
Federal Reserve Plaza, 14th Floor, 600 Atlantic Ave.
Boston MA 02210
Tel: (617) 973-9772
Fax: (617) 542-1329

Hugs,

Blanca

Here is a link that might be useful: Embassy & Consulates General of Japan in US

This post was edited by blancawing on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 8:04

o

All of the Komoriya Hippeastrum bulbs have been removed from eBay. So much for my next order.
Maida

o

Here is the link to contact the MAFF directly, if you choose to hit from all sides. This is like the USDA.
Regards,
K

"Agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries, as an important sector of Japan's economic structure, contribute outstandingly to the development of national economy and stabilization of national life through their role of providing stable supply of foods indispensable to our daily life.

Farmland and forest, also play the role of cleaning air and water, fostering water resources and conserving national land resources. Furthermore, nature and verdant scenic sights abundant in the rural communities is closely related to the national life as they provide mental tranquility for the people through communion between man and nature.

The circumstances surrounding the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries of Japan are severe, due to such factor as imbalance between supply and demand in agricultural products (e.g. rice), delay in the management scale expansion in the so-called' land-extensive agriculture' like rice cultivation, and the escalating pressure for opening up the market from various overseas countries.

And in order to promote the harmonious development of economic society and stability of national life sound development of the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries and advancement of the welfare of the people engaged in these industries would be indispensable.

In order to assure healthy and abundant dietary life for the people, moreover, it is necessary to strive towards maintenance and reinforcement of the ability to attain self-sufficiency in food supplies at all times, maintaining, on the other hand, an appropriate combination of import and domestic production.

From these viewpoints, the Ministry comprehensively undertakes administration related to agricultural, forestry and fisheries products, covering from production to consumption and also to rural development and promotion of the welfare of rural inhabitants with a view to achieving stable supply of food, sound development of the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries and upgrading of the welfare of rural inhabitants."

Here is a link that might be useful: Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries

o

For those in Texas, here's the email of the Consulate-General of Japan Houston office:
info@ho.mofa.go.jp

K

o

Sorry for posting several messages in a row, but here is what I have written and sent. Feel free to use/modify it you find this helpful.
K

I have purchased many dozen Hippeastrum bulbs grown by Komoriya Nurseries (Chiba). Komoriya exports bulbs to many countries around the world. The Plant Protection Station requires that these be stripped of all leaves and roots. This results in inferior growth and poor performance of these bulbs.
I am requesting that Komoriya be exempted from these harsh practices and that they be permitted to send bulbs overseas in their natural condition, which will result in a better quality product for the consumers. The EU exporters of bulbs are permitted to send clean bulbs with roots (no soil) and leaves. A revised practice adopted by the MAFF and PPS will put the Japanese bulbs on the same level as what we have been able to import from EU sources for years.
I appreciate your thoughtful consideration and look forward to improved practices for increased customer satisfaction and a more harmonious worldwide trade market for Hippeastrum from Japan.
Kindest regards,
YOUR NAME

o

photo thank_you_2.gif

o

Thank you, that helps

o

Noooo! I was happy with their bulbs, 95% of them are perfect at home. Just today from the ebay page and found it was "closed".
It is true that the lack of complicated root growth but with good care all goes well.
Would be great to reach a solution to at least be sent with roots and should not be disinfected you have problems.

I hope it can reach an agreement with the authorities in any way we can help Kimoriya.

o

It is blooming time in Japan. Flowers will be cut and sent to flower market. Just saying...

o

Komoriya has resumed selling bulbs on EBay......

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 7:24

o

Dear all,

I just received the following message from Hiroko. The good news is that Komoriya succesfully negotiated with the Plant Protection Station of Japan, and they will be able to ship bulbs with roots.

As a special thank you to everyone who helped make this possible, I will be posting a celebratory photo valentine surprise tomorrow.

I am so happy! Cheers, B

********************************************************************** ****************

Dear Blanca,

Thank you very much for your hortative remarks!

We have negotiated with Plant Protection Station of Japan,

and we became able to ship Hippeastrum bulbs with ROOTS, at last.

Your email is encouragement for our negotiation!

Thank you very much again!

Best regards,

Hiroko Torikai

o

Bravo!!

Now who will be the first to post pictures of Komoriya bulbs arriving with roots??!!

Donna

smileys emoticons photo: yey 3120.gifsmileys emoticons photo: yey 3120.gifsmileys emoticons photo: yey 3120.gif

o

I´m so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!! :D :D :D I have a Komoriya´s bulb on the way for the next week, a Calyptratum Bulb!!!! with roots!!!

o

Wow! Way to go!

o

I am impressed that this group was able to work with Komoriya to create a positive change at the governmental level regarding their shipping practices. That is fantastic news! I have been heartbroken to read about people spending so much on their Komoriya bulbs and then having them not grow. The change in shipping practices should result in MUCH healthier bulbs!

You are an amazing group of people!
Tina

o

Kudos to you all!

o

Finally!!!
Some of my bulbs have awakened with buds!

o

They look just great!! So maybe there is hope after all!!

o

There is hope for these guys Donna but none for 5-6 of my other bulbs. I opened/sliced them up and sure enough, they rotted from the inside...inner scale rot.

So you all be vigilant most specially with those that roots are cut. Roots can tell you a lot of things about a plant's health.
I have imported clivias from Japan with the exact same phytosanitary permit and their roots were never cut.
Healthy roots = Healthy plant

o

And my latest Komoriya purchase came in yesterday. Some have a few live roots, some have no roots (as usual), some with dried out roots and some with Stagnospora. Unbelievable!!! My Japanese clivia supplier would have cringed if he saw these pics.

photo DSC01019.jpg

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:28

o

This one is a very firm bulb that had a suspicious looking neck. I cleaned that neck and this is what was what's under those reddish brown dried skin. Inner scale rot that will eventually kill the bulb from the inside.

o

For real! I think this is my worst bulb shipment from Komoriya!
It's warming up and bulbs are into active growth. And so are the fungus!
Peel and clean the bulbs and necks upon arrival.
This is a Stagnospora infested one.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:42

o

Well, that's depressing! Worse for you!! Why do we keep trying?!? I'm so sorry and I hope they do right by you.

I also have 5 or 6 bulbs which were still hard but no roots; these were from my very first orders. They didn't have overgrown basal plates but a few days ago in desperation I sliced a thin slice off all of them In hopes that the shock will stimulate some sort of root growth. I found one more down stairs this morning with no roots and I will do the same.

My Orange Feather finally bit the dust. It was a huge healthy looking bulb when it arrived but I must have missed some small spot of rot on the basal plate. It was as light as a "feather'' so yesterday I cut it open. The rot went all the way to the neck. What a year!!

Donna

o

Depressing news. I'm so sorry for you Maria and Donna, and for others out there, struggling with their bulbs.
For a moment things were looking better and I was tempted to give it a try myself, but don't dare, not anymore.

o

another scenario :
I received those 2 nelsonii in january :

While cleaning the bulb I had a doubt about the basal plate , so I sliced it and discovered rooted material

and what was left at the end of surgery .

placed in perlite I was surprised the piec of blb survived and grew young bulblets while the healthy bulb doesn't give any sign of grow. (I have to say that I obtainend replacement for this bulb)

This post was edited by agapanthe64 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 3:20

o

Donna...My departed Komoriya bulbs looked exactly like your Orange Feather with rot that started from the center of the bulb. This is one reason why actively growing/blooming bulbs should not be shipped out. The new wounds from cutting the young center leaves, scapes and roots had no chance to heal yet and then packed and shipped in an enclosed box. Ya'll know what happens after that...rot in the basal plate, rot in the center of the bulb. We receive the bulbs firm and looking kinda ok from the outside, only to know they are rotting inside after a few months.
I still remember opening the box of this last shipment of mine and smelling "something wrong". Ya'll know how that is.

Those nelsoniis look horrible!!! And they are expensive ones...$50 each! How could they ship out those bulbs?
And how could these sick bulbs (including mine) pass health inspection? My Japanese clivia supplier would inspect the whole plant for deseases and if he sees a small rot, replaces the plant with a clean and healthy one to be brought to the Japanese plant health inspector.

Perhaps this situation is what the Consulate General of Japan should know and pictures of the sick bulbs we receive sent to them for evidence.

o

I was pulling pots out of the kitchen greenhouse window, moving them around and found a couple bulbs putting out buds. My Piyo-Piyo and Oborozuki have buds coming. The Tsukihime had a "tall" scape, well tall for the size of the bulb. Piyo-Piyo had no roots after 1 year, but it's going to bloom...? Odd. Well, I'm hopeful for some blooms.
K

o

Kristi,

I hope that they all bloom well for you. I've been patiently waiting for soooo long to see my Oborozuki bloom. It will be wondeful to see yours!

Best,

Blanca

o

Last spring my Oborozuki bloomed. I posted photo(s). Then some uninvited rodent pulled it out of the pot and ran off with it....since it hadn't rooted....it was easy pickins.

I have a few more that looks like a scape could pop out at any time! Waiting.....
K

o

Hello friends!
did anybody see the new prices of Komoriyas bulbs on ebay this season?
You will fall over!

Lots of greets

o

Very expensive. But some people are bidding on them even at $100.00. I can see that for a rare species, but not massed produced varieties.
Maida

o

I did manage to buy the very first bulb they offered this time and I think I got it before too many of the heavy bidders knew what was going on! Since then I have had to sit on my hands!! I can't believe these prices!!! But as long as people buy them at these prices, they will continue to charge them!

I'm wondering if some of these are just single seedlings that they are bloomed out and are now trying to get rid of?? They don't appear to have more than one of each of these but of course I could be wrong and we will see eventually if more bulbs of some of these varieties are relisted.

Some of these bulbs aren't all that special, to me anyway, a few I like but I will most likely continue to be a voyeur and sit on my hands!!

I guess I had the need to buy yet another pet rock....☺☺☺

Donna

o

Hallo Frank!

How are Donni and your little girls?

I have been observing the bidding wars in stunned silence.

When your bulbs finally bloom, be prepared for the unexpected!

Here is another unidentified surprise. In the first photo, the delicate imposter is shown along with the correctly labeled bulb; both of which bloomed for me in October.

Kind regards,

Blanca

photo da517d85-0de2-4e3b-8057-196196c7c2f1_zpsa3b626af.jpg

photo IMG_7204E_zps4c5e15cf.jpg

This post was edited by blancawing on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 19:59

o

Blanca the girls are 2 now! :-) Donni is fine and sitting right behind me in time! My hippies are still in the greenhouse, because wie have a very warm autumn! Never had them that long outside. Some are infested with the mealy bugs, i got gratis with a delivery from Japan. They are not easy to deal with!
We will see, what happens after the winter!
Best regards
Frank

o

I think the prices are too high likewise most specially if they are sending bulbs with scapes just cut out again. And the adjustment of the colors on some pictures are quite too much.....green filaments and green yellow pollens??? Yellow filaments and too bright yellow pollens??? Buyers beware please...

o

Hello again Frank,

Mealy bugs are definitely a most unpleasant gift to receive. I cannot imagine what evolutionary purpose these insidious pests serve. The temperatures here continue to be in the 70s (23 - 25 °C). My bulbs are thriving in the unseasonable warmth.

You are most fortunate to have two daughters plus Donni! This flower is dedicated to your girls. I hope that you will be blessed with blooms in the spring.

Cheers,

Blanca

photo fea9b680-2de0-470d-8e2c-74cae6379a22_zps94e1400a.jpg

o

Hi Maria,

I agree - don't know much about photography, but have been wondering if filters are being used to intensify/alter the colors.

Hugs,

Blanca

o

Blanca, your mysterious calyptratum is gorgeous as is your Salmon Taneia!! I do have a good sized bulb of Salmon Tanieia and can't wait until it blooms!! I use the term "can't wait" loosely as that's all we do is wait!!

Maria, I noticed also that the colors are much too saturated on these pictures to be true so when I save them to my files for future reference I adjust the exposure (I can do it right in my Windows Photo Gallery) and it lightens them up considerably to what I believe is more correctly their true colors. I don't know anything about filters when shooting pictures but I do feel that they are doing something to make the colors more vibrant..(just my opinion of course).

Frank, Congratulation on your second daughter!! And yes, mealy bugs are the bane of my existence!! I'd rather deal with the Narcissus Bulb Fly!!

Donna☺☺☺

o

Thanks for the good wishes! :-) The 2 girlies are in time in Peru at my in laws. I see them right before Christmas, but they are fine and dont miss the rainy foggy november here in Germany.

I think, these are no filters girls, this is Photoshop! Ask the Hibiscus- fraction! It is a pest there to, to brighten up fotos of flowers.

I will not buy anything anymore from Komoriya until they change their prices and shipping policies.

o

My Satsuki Midori finally grew a leaf after 1 1/2 years since I bought it. It was virused. Yikes! I did not even take a picture of it and just threw it in the burning pit. I grow my Komoriya bulbs seperate and awaaaaaay from my other bulbs so this is definitely not infected by other bulbs. Very very disappointing!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:04

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 19:27

I saw some bulbs pictured on Garden Web, and I suspect that these are not even from Commercial Production. I refer to those bulbs whith an unusually thick basal plate and generally looking rather "spent"

o

Dear Maria,

I am so sorry to hear of this ominous news. Thank you very much for the update.

I will continue to quarantine the Japanese bulbs to protect my collection.

o

You're most welcome Blanca. I just joined a Facebook Group named "Hippeastrum Fans" and have read that other gardeners, here in USA and other countries, likewise receiving virused bulbs from Komoriya. So sad... So unfair...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here