Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishing_dentist

Is Komoriya doing something to prevent rooting?

fishing_dentist
10 years ago

That is my great question! Are these bulbs prepared to single use? I have a lot problems, to bring them to root. What are Your experiences?
Best regards
Frank

Comments (92)

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maria it did! Most of them grow roots in the perlite and in the soil too!
    Not all, but most of them. My tip is: When You receive the bulbs or whant to bring them to root, clean them, do a nice clean cutting of the basal plate, dry the cuts, powder with captan and rooting- hormone, put them in perlite, cover them with a plastic foil and put them on a heating mat for reptiles or in a propagator. Leaves are not coming til now, but roots!
    Best regards and lots of success!
    Frank

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Just a bit of bad news about my second emerging bud on September Rose Line. This one dried up also. I opened it and it appears to only have held 2 flowers where the first one had 6. I though something might be wrong in the middle of the bulb so I gave the neck a slice down about 1/2 " and all is nice and green so I guess I'll just have to wait; nothing new or different from these Komoriya bulbs.

Donna

• georg_e_vergreen
    10 years ago

Frank, for the "rooting" the best is black plastic pot! This pot are so "hot", this is perfect for the bulbs in firts instance. A "cold" pot in ceramic or similar material are not the best way.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

My H. Lemon Feather is sending up a scape....yay! I had no problems with the bulbs that I first purchased last spring. My bulbs bought during the summer leafed out; all rooted but one. Now it's time for blooms! Hope many of us start seeing more scapes from these beauties!
    K

• komoriya_nursery267
    10 years ago

I am Hiroko Torikai, Komoriya Nursery.
    I am sorry that our bulbs reached you don't grow well.
    At that time we dig up bulbs, they are perfect, healthy, flowering size bulbs.
    But all roots and leaves have to be cut in order to have the
    inspection at Plant Protect Station in Japan.
    As you wrote, in this situation, it may hinder not only blooming at also growing itself.
    Then, we are going to take exception to Plant Protect Station of Japan, and request that we can send bulbs for overseas at natural condition.
    And we will stop selling any bulbs for eBay, for the time being, till this situation will improve.
    I appreciate your understanding.

Hiroko Torikai

Komoriya Nursery

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Dear all,

I ask that you please support Komoriya Nursery for taking action to improve the overseas shipping of their bulbs by requesting an exception from the Plant Protection Station in Japan; which would allow them to ship bulbs in natural condition with roots intact.

I have already written and offered to write a letter of support (or send an email) directly to the Plant Protection Station of Japan. I hope that some of you will join me by doing the same. Sometimes, many voices are needed to make positive change become a reality.

Sincerely yours,

Blanca

This post was edited by blancawing on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 4:20

10 years ago

Yes, I agree that we should do our best to offer support and that a change in the regulations that would allow Komoriya to send the bulbs with at least some roots would benefit us all.

If you have an address for the Plant Protection Station of Japan and you could share it with us it would make it easier for some of us to help out a bit in this matter.

Thanks, Donna

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Thank you Donna.

I am trying to obtain the address, but it is past 10:00 p.m. on Wednesday night in Japan. I will post info as soon as I am able. I've been up pollinating and planting all night. After I get some sleep, I plan to contact the following:

Embassy of Japan
    2520 Massachusetts Ave., N.W.
    Washington D.C. 20008-2869
    Tel: (202) 238-6700
    Fax: (202) 328-2187

Consulate-General of Japan in New York
    299 Park Avenue 18th Floor, New York, NY 10171
    Tel: (212) 371-8222
    Fax: (212) 319-6357

Consulate-General of Japan in San Francisco
    50 Fremont St., Suite 2300, San Francisco, CA 94105
    Tel: (415) 777-3533
    Fax: (415) 974-3660

Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles
    350 South Grand Avenue, Suite 1700
    Los Angeles, CA 90071
    Tel: (213) 617-6700
    Fax: (213) 617-6727

Below is the contact info for the consulate in Boston, and (for anyone who feels motivated) a link to the complete list for all the consulates of Japan in the United States.

Consulate-General of Japan in Boston
    Federal Reserve Plaza, 14th Floor, 600 Atlantic Ave.
    Boston MA 02210
    Tel: (617) 973-9772
    Fax: (617) 542-1329

Hugs,

Blanca

Here is a link that might be useful: Embassy & Consulates General of Japan in US

This post was edited by blancawing on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 8:04

• Ray Schuck
    10 years ago

All of the Komoriya Hippeastrum bulbs have been removed from eBay. So much for my next order.
    Maida

10 years ago

Here is the link to contact the MAFF directly, if you choose to hit from all sides. This is like the USDA.
    Regards,
    K

"Agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries, as an important sector of Japan's economic structure, contribute outstandingly to the development of national economy and stabilization of national life through their role of providing stable supply of foods indispensable to our daily life.

Farmland and forest, also play the role of cleaning air and water, fostering water resources and conserving national land resources. Furthermore, nature and verdant scenic sights abundant in the rural communities is closely related to the national life as they provide mental tranquility for the people through communion between man and nature.

The circumstances surrounding the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries of Japan are severe, due to such factor as imbalance between supply and demand in agricultural products (e.g. rice), delay in the management scale expansion in the so-called' land-extensive agriculture' like rice cultivation, and the escalating pressure for opening up the market from various overseas countries.

And in order to promote the harmonious development of economic society and stability of national life sound development of the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries and advancement of the welfare of the people engaged in these industries would be indispensable.

In order to assure healthy and abundant dietary life for the people, moreover, it is necessary to strive towards maintenance and reinforcement of the ability to attain self-sufficiency in food supplies at all times, maintaining, on the other hand, an appropriate combination of import and domestic production.

From these viewpoints, the Ministry comprehensively undertakes administration related to agricultural, forestry and fisheries products, covering from production to consumption and also to rural development and promotion of the welfare of rural inhabitants with a view to achieving stable supply of food, sound development of the agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries and upgrading of the welfare of rural inhabitants."

Here is a link that might be useful: Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries

10 years ago

For those in Texas, here's the email of the Consulate-General of Japan Houston office:
    info@ho.mofa.go.jp

K

10 years ago

Sorry for posting several messages in a row, but here is what I have written and sent. Feel free to use/modify it you find this helpful.
    K

I have purchased many dozen Hippeastrum bulbs grown by Komoriya Nurseries (Chiba). Komoriya exports bulbs to many countries around the world. The Plant Protection Station requires that these be stripped of all leaves and roots. This results in inferior growth and poor performance of these bulbs.
    I am requesting that Komoriya be exempted from these harsh practices and that they be permitted to send bulbs overseas in their natural condition, which will result in a better quality product for the consumers. The EU exporters of bulbs are permitted to send clean bulbs with roots (no soil) and leaves. A revised practice adopted by the MAFF and PPS will put the Japanese bulbs on the same level as what we have been able to import from EU sources for years.
    I appreciate your thoughtful consideration and look forward to improved practices for increased customer satisfaction and a more harmonious worldwide trade market for Hippeastrum from Japan.
    Kindest regards,
    YOUR NAME

• blancawing
    10 years ago
  • HU-17497
    10 years ago

Thank you, that helps

• georg_e_vergreen
    10 years ago

Noooo! I was happy with their bulbs, 95% of them are perfect at home. Just today from the ebay page and found it was "closed".
    It is true that the lack of complicated root growth but with good care all goes well.
    Would be great to reach a solution to at least be sent with roots and should not be disinfected you have problems.

I hope it can reach an agreement with the authorities in any way we can help Kimoriya.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

It is blooming time in Japan. Flowers will be cut and sent to flower market. Just saying...

10 years ago

Komoriya has resumed selling bulbs on EBay......

This post was edited by dondeldux on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 7:24

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Dear all,

I just received the following message from Hiroko. The good news is that Komoriya succesfully negotiated with the Plant Protection Station of Japan, and they will be able to ship bulbs with roots.

As a special thank you to everyone who helped make this possible, I will be posting a celebratory photo valentine surprise tomorrow.

I am so happy! Cheers, B

**************************************************************************************

Dear Blanca,

Thank you very much for your hortative remarks!

We have negotiated with Plant Protection Station of Japan,

and we became able to ship Hippeastrum bulbs with ROOTS, at last.

Your email is encouragement for our negotiation!

Thank you very much again!

Best regards,

Hiroko Torikai

10 years ago

Bravo!!

Now who will be the first to post pictures of Komoriya bulbs arriving with roots??!!

Donna

• georg_e_vergreen
    10 years ago

Iôm so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!! :D :D :D I have a Komoriyaôs bulb on the way for the next week, a Calyptratum Bulb!!!! with roots!!!

• macroclemys
    10 years ago

Wow! Way to go!

• berkeleysgr8
    10 years ago

I am impressed that this group was able to work with Komoriya to create a positive change at the governmental level regarding their shipping practices. That is fantastic news! I have been heartbroken to read about people spending so much on their Komoriya bulbs and then having them not grow. The change in shipping practices should result in MUCH healthier bulbs!

You are an amazing group of people!
    Tina

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Kudos to you all!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Finally!!!
    Some of my bulbs have awakened with buds!

10 years ago

They look just great!! So maybe there is hope after all!!

• mariava7
    10 years ago

There is hope for these guys Donna but none for 5-6 of my other bulbs. I opened/sliced them up and sure enough, they rotted from the inside...inner scale rot.

So you all be vigilant most specially with those that roots are cut. Roots can tell you a lot of things about a plant's health.
    I have imported clivias from Japan with the exact same phytosanitary permit and their roots were never cut.
    Healthy roots = Healthy plant

• mariava7
    10 years ago

And my latest Komoriya purchase came in yesterday. Some have a few live roots, some have no roots (as usual), some with dried out roots and some with Stagnospora. Unbelievable!!! My Japanese clivia supplier would have cringed if he saw these pics.

{{gwi:429466}}

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:28

• mariava7
    10 years ago

This one is a very firm bulb that had a suspicious looking neck. I cleaned that neck and this is what was what's under those reddish brown dried skin. Inner scale rot that will eventually kill the bulb from the inside.

• mariava7
    10 years ago

For real! I think this is my worst bulb shipment from Komoriya!
    It's warming up and bulbs are into active growth. And so are the fungus!
    Peel and clean the bulbs and necks upon arrival.
    This is a Stagnospora infested one.

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 23:42

10 years ago

Well, that's depressing! Worse for you!! Why do we keep trying?!? I'm so sorry and I hope they do right by you.

I also have 5 or 6 bulbs which were still hard but no roots; these were from my very first orders. They didn't have overgrown basal plates but a few days ago in desperation I sliced a thin slice off all of them In hopes that the shock will stimulate some sort of root growth. I found one more down stairs this morning with no roots and I will do the same.

My Orange Feather finally bit the dust. It was a huge healthy looking bulb when it arrived but I must have missed some small spot of rot on the basal plate. It was as light as a "feather'' so yesterday I cut it open. The rot went all the way to the neck. What a year!!

Donna

• lenanen
    10 years ago

Depressing news. I'm so sorry for you Maria and Donna, and for others out there, struggling with their bulbs.
    For a moment things were looking better and I was tempted to give it a try myself, but don't dare, not anymore.

• agapanthe64
    10 years ago

another scenario :
    I received those 2 nelsonii in january :
    {{gwi:429467}}
    While cleaning the bulb I had a doubt about the basal plate , so I sliced it and discovered rooted material
    {{gwi:429468}}
    {{gwi:429469}}
    and what was left at the end of surgery .
    {{gwi:429471}}
    placed in perlite I was surprised the piec of blb survived and grew young bulblets while the healthy bulb doesn't give any sign of grow. (I have to say that I obtainend replacement for this bulb)
    {{gwi:429473}}

This post was edited by agapanthe64 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 3:20

• mariava7
    10 years ago

Donna...My departed Komoriya bulbs looked exactly like your Orange Feather with rot that started from the center of the bulb. This is one reason why actively growing/blooming bulbs should not be shipped out. The new wounds from cutting the young center leaves, scapes and roots had no chance to heal yet and then packed and shipped in an enclosed box. Ya'll know what happens after that...rot in the basal plate, rot in the center of the bulb. We receive the bulbs firm and looking kinda ok from the outside, only to know they are rotting inside after a few months.
    I still remember opening the box of this last shipment of mine and smelling "something wrong". Ya'll know how that is.

Those nelsoniis look horrible!!! And they are expensive ones...$50 each! How could they ship out those bulbs?
    And how could these sick bulbs (including mine) pass health inspection? My Japanese clivia supplier would inspect the whole plant for deseases and if he sees a small rot, replaces the plant with a clean and healthy one to be brought to the Japanese plant health inspector.

Perhaps this situation is what the Consulate General of Japan should know and pictures of the sick bulbs we receive sent to them for evidence.

10 years ago

I was pulling pots out of the kitchen greenhouse window, moving them around and found a couple bulbs putting out buds. My Piyo-Piyo and Oborozuki have buds coming. The Tsukihime had a "tall" scape, well tall for the size of the bulb. Piyo-Piyo had no roots after 1 year, but it's going to bloom...? Odd. Well, I'm hopeful for some blooms.
    K

• blancawing
    10 years ago

Kristi,

I hope that they all bloom well for you. I've been patiently waiting for soooo long to see my Oborozuki bloom. It will be wondeful to see yours!

Best,

Blanca

10 years ago

Last spring my Oborozuki bloomed. I posted photo(s). Then some uninvited rodent pulled it out of the pot and ran off with it....since it hadn't rooted....it was easy pickins.

I have a few more that looks like a scape could pop out at any time! Waiting.....
    K

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello friends!
    did anybody see the new prices of Komoriyas bulbs on ebay this season?
    You will fall over!

Lots of greets

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Very expensive. But some people are bidding on them even at $100.00. I can see that for a rare species, but not massed produced varieties.
    Maida

9 years ago

I did manage to buy the very first bulb they offered this time and I think I got it before too many of the heavy bidders knew what was going on! Since then I have had to sit on my hands!! I can't believe these prices!!! But as long as people buy them at these prices, they will continue to charge them!

I'm wondering if some of these are just single seedlings that they are bloomed out and are now trying to get rid of?? They don't appear to have more than one of each of these but of course I could be wrong and we will see eventually if more bulbs of some of these varieties are relisted.

Some of these bulbs aren't all that special, to me anyway, a few I like but I will most likely continue to be a voyeur and sit on my hands!!

I guess I had the need to buy yet another pet rock....âºâºâº

Donna

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hallo Frank!

How are Donni and your little girls?

I have been observing the bidding wars in stunned silence.

When your bulbs finally bloom, be prepared for the unexpected!

Here is another unidentified surprise. In the first photo, the delicate imposter is shown along with the correctly labeled bulb; both of which bloomed for me in October.

Kind regards,

Blanca

{{gwi:429475}}

{{gwi:429477}}

This post was edited by blancawing on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 19:59

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blanca the girls are 2 now! :-) Donni is fine and sitting right behind me in time! My hippies are still in the greenhouse, because wie have a very warm autumn! Never had them that long outside. Some are infested with the mealy bugs, i got gratis with a delivery from Japan. They are not easy to deal with!
    We will see, what happens after the winter!
    Best regards
    Frank

• mariava7
    9 years ago

I think the prices are too high likewise most specially if they are sending bulbs with scapes just cut out again. And the adjustment of the colors on some pictures are quite too much.....green filaments and green yellow pollens??? Yellow filaments and too bright yellow pollens??? Buyers beware please...

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hello again Frank,

Mealy bugs are definitely a most unpleasant gift to receive. I cannot imagine what evolutionary purpose these insidious pests serve. The temperatures here continue to be in the 70s (23 - 25 ðC). My bulbs are thriving in the unseasonable warmth.

You are most fortunate to have two daughters plus Donni! This flower is dedicated to your girls. I hope that you will be blessed with blooms in the spring.

Cheers,

Blanca

{{gwi:429478}}

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Hi Maria,

I agree - don't know much about photography, but have been wondering if filters are being used to intensify/alter the colors.

Hugs,

Blanca

9 years ago

Blanca, your mysterious calyptratum is gorgeous as is your Salmon Taneia!! I do have a good sized bulb of Salmon Tanieia and can't wait until it blooms!! I use the term "can't wait" loosely as that's all we do is wait!!

Maria, I noticed also that the colors are much too saturated on these pictures to be true so when I save them to my files for future reference I adjust the exposure (I can do it right in my Windows Photo Gallery) and it lightens them up considerably to what I believe is more correctly their true colors. I don't know anything about filters when shooting pictures but I do feel that they are doing something to make the colors more vibrant..(just my opinion of course).

Frank, Congratulation on your second daughter!! And yes, mealy bugs are the bane of my existence!! I'd rather deal with the Narcissus Bulb Fly!!

Donnaâºâºâº

• fishing_dentist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes! :-) The 2 girlies are in time in Peru at my in laws. I see them right before Christmas, but they are fine and dont miss the rainy foggy november here in Germany.

I think, these are no filters girls, this is Photoshop! Ask the Hibiscus- fraction! It is a pest there to, to brighten up fotos of flowers.

I will not buy anything anymore from Komoriya until they change their prices and shipping policies.

• mariava7
    9 years ago

My Satsuki Midori finally grew a leaf after 1 1/2 years since I bought it. It was virused. Yikes! I did not even take a picture of it and just threw it in the burning pit. I grow my Komoriya bulbs seperate and awaaaaaay from my other bulbs so this is definitely not infected by other bulbs. Very very disappointing!

This post was edited by mariava7 on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 17:04

• haweha
    9 years ago

I saw some bulbs pictured on Garden Web, and I suspect that these are not even from Commercial Production. I refer to those bulbs whith an unusually thick basal plate and generally looking rather "spent"

• blancawing
    9 years ago

Dear Maria,

I am so sorry to hear of this ominous news. Thank you very much for the update.

I will continue to quarantine the Japanese bulbs to protect my collection.

• mariava7
    9 years ago

You're most welcome Blanca. I just joined a Facebook Group named "Hippeastrum Fans" and have read that other gardeners, here in USA and other countries, likewise receiving virused bulbs from Komoriya. So sad... So unfair...