Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. Reticulatum question

Posted by kaboehm 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 10:58

I bought a pot of these of eBay at the urging of another lister on this forum.
There were 11 bulbs in that one small pot so I split them up. I have 5 bulbs in a good-sized pot and they have been thriving in the kitchen's greenhouse window. About a month ago, one bulb's leaves started to turn brown and wilt. Now it looks like other leaves from other bulbs are wilting and turning brown. This seems more extreme than just the oldest leaf from each bulb dying. The pot only gets watered about once a week.

Do these bulbs go dormant during the colder months? The mornings have been cooler, but today is the real first cold morning (43!). I'm scratching my head as to why these Reticulatum bulbs seem to be heading downhill. They are not root bound by any means. I put them in the larger pot so that they could be left undisturbed for at least a couple of years. Guess I may unpot them to see if there's rotten roots or something odd going on.

I'm baffled!
K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. Reticulatum question

Out of the 5 bulbs, one had rotted and disappeared and another was on its way out (rotted on the inside, working it's way to the outside).

I pulled all the bulbs out and cleaned them well. It looks like there is evidence of insect damage, so I have doused them with an insecticide AND a miticide. Ugh. I am cooking the soil at 300* to kill anything that could be in the soil.

The bulbs have gotten huge and are at least 5x as big as the small ones growing under the lights in my room.

o

I doubt they go dormant, at least they haven't yet for me and it is a touch colder here. Mine all had yellow leafs when i got mine and were mostly 1-2 leafers. After i rescued mine they have started sending up new leafs.

Mine are nowhere near as big but i'm satisfied with the way mine are doing. It is such a shame as yours has so many leafs and are so big. :(

o

Howdy Kristi, You probably know the routine with these. Low light, and top of the bulb level with the surface of the soil. I use granular fungicide sometimes in my Hippeastrum mix.

o

Hi Pat

Can i ask what the granular fungicide is called? Sounds interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here