curlyyuki

Hippeastrum aulicum

CurlyYuki
10 years ago

My first Hippeastrum aulicum

Comments (3)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Curly Yuki and welcome to the forum!

Tell us a little about your aulicum; what variety it is (if you know) and where did you get it and how log have you had it? And not to be nosey but do I see a very interesting flower in the background...a mandonii perhaps?

Are you going to do a little hybridizing with your aulicum? I have one opening myself In a few days and I'm going to put some frozen papilio pollen on one of them!

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:49

• CurlyYuki
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna..
    We ordered this H. aulicum and few other Hippeastrums early this year from Telos Rare Bulbs, they came in July (as they stated) The bulbs were very healthy. i was hoping papilio has flower but turn out aulicum had first. i hand pollenated the mandonii to this aulicum...You have good eyes vision Donna!
    I wonder what it will turn out since they both have green in?
    I am not new to Hippeastrum. I like hybridizing on any flowers that i can get my hand on:) Can't wait until next year so i can cross more.
    I come here off and on just don't have time to chat. I really enjoy all the great photos of your and other members. and learned a lot from this forum!
    Thanks..curlyYuki

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hi CurlyYuki,

I bought an aulicum from Telos too! Mine just arrived a few weeks ago with a bud already up about 3 inches! It is opening right now and I'll be posting pictures in the next few days. I also had bought two others varieties earlier this spring from them that are doing well (wonder if we bought the same ones...?)

I have some frozen papilio pollen from a friend that I will use on one flower, not sure yet what I'll do with the second as I don't have too much other pollen that is fresh. But, papilio is the one I most wanted to pair it up with!

I also bought an aulicum from Komoriya and even though it has an affliction of sorts (mites) it bloomed with 2 flowers and on those I put a papilio hybrid and the second flower I scraped the sides of my containers containing my much older papilio pollen. I dabbed each flower about 3 times a day for 4 consecutive days and then I stopped. At the time it didn't appear that either one had taken but today both pods are swelling (at least they aren't shriveling yet..). The problem is that I got impatient with the flower with my older papilio pollen and since I didn't think it had much chance, I dabbed it with some Exotic Star pollen also figuring what the heck! So now if that pod produces seeds I won't ever know for sure if it was x papilio or Exotic Star. But on my newer aulicum opening now I will use the other papilio pollen and I will know for sure.

I think mandonii is a strangely beautiful flower with a bit of an evil look to it. I once told someone that if the devil had a flower it would be mandonii I don't know whether or not they agreed though... I should think that pairing it with aulicum should be interesting. (I do have 2 smaller mandoniis which are alive but not doing much else...) Is there any chance you could post a picture of your mandonii (?) it looks to be a stunner....

NIce to talk to you and don't be a stranger to the forum.

Do you happen to know what the variety of aulicum that Telos is selling would be? As mine is opening it appears to be a more lighter orange color than the one from Komoriya. As it opens more I will see if there are any other differences. I don't really want to pollinate the two together as I also have another pot of 5 good sized aulicum seedlings from seeds from another generous part-time forum viewer.

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 11:20

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions