Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_in_quebec

How Crazy Am I??

anna_in_quebec
13 years ago

I have a basement full of bulbs that summered outside whose leaves are slowly fading. Another small army upstairs whose leaves are still great. No room to spare. So what do I do? Purchase 4 bulbs from Royal Colors in late August, and yesterday, added another 4 to my shipment, as I realized the shipping date was nearing, and I just couldn't resist.

Royal Colors order:

Flamenco Queen

Brazza

Aphrodite

Summertime

Rozzeta

Monte Carlo

Amorice

Temptation

Firecracker from Garden Import

and 6 more "standards" from my local co-op (I have a reputation there!):

Red Lion

Apple Blossom

Vera

Charisma

Mambo

Prelude

On top of it all, various "refugees" from the garden are taking up the entire dining-room table, prompting the question "shall we be eating on tea-trays?"

Oh - and now I am thinking I need a white one, so perhaps I'll go back to Garden Import for an Intokaze, but pricey at $21. Hmmm.....

Comments (18)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

Anna,
    Your CHAD has relapsed!! Sounds like you have a really bad case this year!
    :-)
    Kristi

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Anna, Just about as crazy of most of the rest of us....your house sound just like mine, plants coming in.... resting... not loosing their leaves fast enough.... seed trays everywhere...but only ordered 4 this year so far...(but that's not counting 26 Marguires.)..but my dining room table us reserved for all my computer stuff, cameras etc...it's the living room floor that catches it...fun for us, but not for those who have to live with us....huh..(cat doesn't mind)

Donna

• anna_in_quebec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys - I feel a bit better. And yes, I just broke down and ordered Intokazi, which is an African bulb, a symphony type - (sonatini being the smallest).

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I've ordered 15 so far :( I can't seem to help it, I just keep buying them! There are so many more I'm waiting to become available too... Oh no!

Josh

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

JOSHY HAS CHAD.......!!! Hybrids Josh?? We have CONVERTED YOU!!!
    HALLELUJAH!!
    :-) hehehehe
    K

13 years ago

Has somebody changed their tune of what!! Congratulations Josh, you're well on your way to becoming an addict of the best kind.....!!! HaHaaa

Donna

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

How delightful, Joshy! Hee hee! But these are the best treatment for long dark winters that I know. Always something to look forward too, something to celebrate, some thing to remember. And something to share, even if it is just a photo.

• Noni Morrison
    13 years ago

Anna, mine are stating to roll in now, have both Van Engelen and Colorblends to unpack and plant this afternoon.And a nice order in with Royal Colors. These new ones will fill the slack until my older ones rebloom in their own time, so always an excuse for new ones :-)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Oh, believe me, I'm more than converted :) I'm starting to work on ideas for hybridizing my species, if ANYONE has any suggestions please e-mail, I'm open for anything, I'd like a few others to help me with this project if anyone is interested with growing the seed, I don't know if I'll have enough room myself!

Sorry for the tangent :)

Josh

• beachplant
    13 years ago

on my shopping list for Friday is more pots, the coop order should be arriving soon. I just got all the bulbs that leaped into my cart at Home Depot and Lowe's planted. Maguires bulbs are sending up leaves like crazy, looks like a couple more are going to bloom. Abdul just finished and was gorgeous!
    I've stayed away from the internet, so far....
    Tally HO!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Guess who went to Lowe's today!?!?!? They had a huge variety, Susan and Oskar came home with me today :) Great prices too, 3.98 ?? Woah! I love the way Oskar looks on the box!

13 years ago

Josh, just be prepared for mislabeled bulbs...not the end of the world though...I got an Oskar too and since I've never even heard of that one before and the bulbs were so huge, is's propably correct, but Susan is another matter....Last year many of us were getting Susan for lots of others...so maybe you'll get Susan for Susan? Anyway, it's all part of the box store experience. Lowe's had such a selection, I'm still thinking about them. If your Lowe's had a Pasadena, I'd get that one too, and if you like doubles, Lady Jane and Aphrodite are gorgeous...glad to see you're having fun!!

Donna

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Donna,

I did see the Lady Jane and Pasadena, I was thinking about picking them up but they were 10 bucks and I had loaded my cart with Perlite and Orchid Bark (yes, they finally got it in) so I was trying to keep the bill down.

My Oskar bulb was huge, I got the biggest one they had, those little boxes were a bit difficult to put back together tho!

My Hippeastrum reginae is putting up a scape, I noticed it this morning :) It's going to be a room full of Hippie blooms very soon!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, hmmm - you're Oskar was 3.98 at Lowes? Mine was marked 5.98 - maybe they're on sale now? I'll have to go back and look... I can't miss a sale!

Tally, the Yahoo bulbs will probably get to us next week. I'm not sure I'm ready for the work... I think I overbought a tad this year (again).

Alana

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Alana,

They were in very small boxes, no pot, no soil no nothing, just a bulb :) They were marked 3.98 on the box, try to find those little ones!

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Ah ok, thanks Josh - I'll have to go look for those. The one I bought was a bigger box with a non-drainage plastic pot that will not get used. I'd rather have just the bulb for sure. Alana

13 years ago

Alana, I bought the one like Josh in those tiny boxes for 3.98 mine was so big the top of the box wouldn't close....first time I've seen those tiny boxes.....

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, thanks - I'm going to look tomorrow for the tiny boxes. I guess they're in a separate display from the big boxes? (Although that's probably what I don't need is more bulbs but gosh, 3.98 - who can resist?!!) Alana

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions