Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Komoriya "Fall Star"

Posted by Macroclemys 7b (NC) (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 11:39

Here is my "Fall Star" from Komoriya. It is based on H. aulicum, and looks to me like an orange version of that species.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Komoriya "Fall Star"

Super pretty! When did you buy this bulb?
K

o

Bill, it is very pretty and very similar to h. aulicum but with less saturation of color..I wonder what they crossed h. aulicum with to get this? Do you have a guess? It's so similar that as you say it looks like a paler version of the same species. I've see another picture of Fall Star and it looks just like yours.

I have another aulicum about to bloom one that I just recently purchased from Telos Rare Bulbs because the one I got from Komoriya has issues (mites) and I don't know how long I'll have it.

Donna

o

I received it in early August. Although its roots had been removed, there were several nice roots that had been growing upward under the outer, dried bulb layers. I was able to free these and bend them downward, so effectively it was a reasonably well-rooted bulb. I have no guess what aulicum might have been crossed with to get this.

o

This is my "Fall Star", which bloomed about a month ago. It managed to put out 4 flowers on its single scape. I'm really not that impressed with it. It has a very washed-out "orangy" color and the flowers are only half the size of H. aulicum. I suspect that there is H. calyptratum somewhere in its background.

Jim

This post was edited by jimnpa on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 9:29

o

Maybe Green and Saturn would have been a better choice.. did anybody get that one? I've seen some pictures from an Australian seller that bought one from Komoriya (they were just selling the pollen for megabucks) and it was very striking , very saturated color...

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Green & Saturn

This post was edited by dondeldux on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 10:02

o

The color is quite different from Komoriya's picture but I do like it. I hope mine blooms like the above pictured ones and decides to join the crowd and bloom in 2013. It must not be a favorite in Japan (perhaps due to it's paler/washed out color) as Komoriya is selling bulbs of them now for a cheap price. It's good to know that it can produce 4 flowers in it's scape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here