Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshy46013

Hippeastrum 'FanFare' What A Double!

joshy46013
13 years ago

Hippeastrum "FanFare" is a the epitome of "Christmas Amaryllis", it's absolutely gorgeous!

{{gwi:430197}}

{{gwi:430199}}

{{gwi:430200}}

Comments (11)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos, Josh.....you're making me wish I had a Fanfare....!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    13 years ago

I know where there are some hanging out for $4/....
    :-+
    Kristi

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Nice Josh - I love the frilly red. Alana

13 years ago

Oooh I know, and I thought about it (especially after seeing Josh's pictures) the only thing is that I already have 3 double reds, Cherry Nymph, Red Peacock and Red Charm and they're all raring to go.....just out of curiosity, how tall are they...I kind of promised my DH that I wouldn't buy too many more this year and I'm already 7 bulbs into that promise.....! By the way I just received a Flaming Peacock and a "Misty" (hopefully not Susan) from Easy to Grow Bulbs and they always seem nice to deal with. The bulbs look very healthy....I did get a couple of mislabels from them last year, but what the heck after all this virus stuff, a healthy bulb looks a lot better to me these days even if it mislabeled....but please... not another Susan.....

Donna

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna,

"FanFare" is actually pretty small, the scapes are half the height of "Bellismo" and maybe a third of "Graffiti". I'll get out the measuring tape and measure tomorrow. The blooms are pretty small as well, maybe 2 1/2 inches across?

I sadly haven't got a "Misty" yet, I would LOVE to have one but I'm worried it would be mislabeled with what I heard about Easy To Grow.

I'm 25 bulbs in right now with some more on the way, I have SO much potting to do :( I got some HUGE "Lemon Lime" in today and a nice sized "Scarlet Baby", can't wait to get some pictures of those!

Josh

13 years ago

Josh,

Hopefully if my Misty blooms soon, which it doesn't show any signs of yet, and if it is correct, they everyone can order one (who is still looking for a Misty) as it is still very early..... We can only hope....

Donna

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Donna, let's hope it's a better Misty season this year. I've got 6 importers from last year that turned out to be Susans.

Fanfare is a pretty small bulb and bloom, but on a long-ish stem considering the size of the bulb. I tucked 3 bulbs into a 6" pot and it looked pretty nice: {{gwi:430202}}From 09 / 10 hippi season

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

Your stems are much longer than mine! Mine are pretty short, the shortest out of all the ones I have actually.

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, interesting - I wonder if ours are different strains, or maybe just plain strained ;-) I guess you really can't tell what a bulb is going to be like till it's a year in your care. When I got these bulbs last year the scapes were already pretty emerged, which I'm sure isn't good for them. You can see that I needed to prop the blooms up with stakes.

I'll post pics of mine on the (hopefully) rebloom this spring.

Alana

• joshy46013
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana,

I see a stigma poking through in the top right, I noticed a few of my flowers have a stigma as well, are these semi-doubles? I know that with doubles you rarely if ever get stigmas! I've tried pollinating mine.

Josh

• e36yellowm3
    13 years ago

Josh, I've had that happen with a few of my doubles but no luck getting seeds to set. Alana

Sponsored
More Discussions