Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Graffiti' Classy And Sophisticated

Posted by joshy46013 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 15:11

Hi All,

So I'm having so much fun with the hybrids, they're all so beautiful and different. I'm watching the "Graffiti" develop as we speak and I am so intrigued by the beautiful brushstrokes of crimson red on the yellow green backdrop of the tepals.

I think this hybrid obviously involves Hippeastrum papilio and I have a strong feeling a lot of the yellow coloring and the characteristics of the style and stigma and the overall design of the flower (look towards the center of both flowers) resembles Hippeastrum macbrideii which is a very rare species from Peru. I'm still waiting on my H. macbrideii to bloom, it was collected in Sandia, Peru and it's truly a beautiful species.

Here is the picture of my Hippeastrum "Graffiti"

Hippeastrum

Here is a link to Hippeastrum macbrideii, maybe others can see the similarities that I see. (This is from viewing earlier pictures of "Graffiti" in bloom)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hippeastrum macbrideii

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Graffiti' Classy And Sophisticated

Looks like it's going to be a beauty...can't wait to see it. I just loved mine and Grafitti is quite possibly the "daddy" of my Papilio seedlings which are doing quite well...I'm sure you have great plans for it's pollens as I'm sure there will be plenty....

Donna

o

Sorry, I think I spelled it wrong...Graffiti....

o

New Picture, I think "Graffiti" and "Giraffe" are both wonderful cultivars :)

Hippeastrum

o

More Pictures :)

Hippeastrum

Hippeastrum

o

Josh

You captured the beauty of one of my faves. The H. Papilio influenced hybrids are among my treasured Hippies. I'm so glad you joined us on the on the "dark side". ;-)

Jim

o

Jim,

Thanks :) I'm really loving the dark side, let me tell ya! I've pollinated "Graffiti" with Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium, we will see if this yields any seed!?! I'm hoping as the H. papilio influence may transpose and I could ONLY imagine what the outcome could be :)

Josh

o

Josh, Very Very Lovely....You have arrived.........Don't you just love the Papilio shape? Is the color true on these pictures because I think mine bloomed a bit more on the yellow side....but as I look at it again I can see a little pink in yours so I'm thinking it is just your camera....just beautiful!!

Donna

o

Donna,

Mine is a bit more green actually. My camera photographed it more white, I'm assuming the coloring of the *LIGHT* bulbs in the room I took the picture isn't correct for picture taking. It isn't too off, but enough for me to notice :) I think I need a bit more of a "soft" yellow in the room.

o

This beautiful this hippeastrum

o

Hi guys,

I edit the pictures so the pink wasn't as prominent, the computer is showing the pictures differently than my camera but I think I've got it figured out :)

Hippeastrum

Hippeastrum

o

Josh, The first one is still quite pink, try taking some more pictures in the day time without the black background...with and without the flash. I must say your flowers have an exquisite shape..their form is outstanding. Mine were rather strangely misshapen but I chalked it up to their being stressed. The color on mine is true though, as I don't edit the colors on any of my photos, I just keep taking pictures until I get what I think is true. Hope you don't mind my posting my pictures on your thread. I can't wait to have a bloom on a well rooted bulb...my bulb sat all summer without leaves, I thought it was a gonner, I pulled it out of the pot and it was well rooted so I just continued to wait, and about 6 weeks ago it finally started to leaf out. I am very relieved. I think they will be outstanding next time... this tiny flower is a favorite.

Donna

From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

From ~~~ H I P P E A S T R U M S ~~~ 2 0 0 9 / 2 0 1 0

o

Donna,

The pictures I have posted now on my screen are almost identical in color. I wonder if it's my screen?

I've noticed the shape of mine is a bit different than a lot of others I have seen, I would love to swap pollen next time they bloom? Or when I get a bulblet I would be more than happy to send it to you!? I wonder if it's possible that there were more than one form they used out of the bunch of seedlings when they were picking? IDK

I will take more pictures tomorrow outside :)

Josh

o
RE: 'Graffiti' Classy And Sophisticated!

Here is another picture where you can see the coloring of the reticulation. AND DONNA, of course I don't mind if you post your pictures here, it makes me happy :)

Hippeastrum

o

See how much sharper the red lines are on yours...it will be interesting to compare the next time mine blooms. Anyway, you've hot one beautiful flower there, and now I bet you wish you had ordered more than one!

Donna

o

• Posted by haweha 7/Germany/W (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 8:05

Hello!
The differential appearances of the flowers does only reflect the variability, that it is already being perceived in the florets of H.papilio. Depending on the state of the bulb, and on the environmental conditions.

o

Donna,

I know, I'm kicking myself now :( It's just beautiful and even more so in person! I've pollinated 5 times now with Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium, we will see how it goes!

Josh

o

Josh, that bloom is beautiful - you can clearly see Papilio in it.

Donna, can't wait to see the re-bloom on yours. Do you think they bloom better when they're more established? I guess because of the way I grow mine they never are, so just wondering if that changes things.

Alana

o

Alana,

I do think that they'll bloom a bit better when they're more established, yes, but I think they bloom well if they're unpotted and repotted in the spring. I think the most important thing is that they get a good season of growth so they're strong enough to bloom.

I've read several places that Hippeastrum start producing their inflorescence two seasons in advance, does anyone have more information on this topic?

Josh

o

I do think they will bloom fine if potted and unpotted as long as they've a nice long, hot. well fed summer in the sun. My bulb was stressed when I bought it and very tiny. I have no boubt that once it has many months with leaves to nourish the bulb it will do beautifully...much better than it's first show. Although I will say I think there were more than 5 flowers on at least one of the two stalks. The color was great though, quite yellow. Lots to look forward to but I don't expect my Graffiti to bloom until next year as the leaves just started to grow after all summer growing roots. Strange, but it seems alright now. It even appears to have a bulbet starting, one lone leaf against the edge of the pot.....can't think of anything prettier than a whole pot of these!

Donna

o

Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 5:20

"start producing their inflorescence two seasons in advance"

AFAIK this applies for the African branch of the Amaryllids. I found it attributed to Nerine and Amaryllis belladonna at least.

The essential Q is "from what timepoint on can you exactly state that a bud had been initiated"

I can present a PRACTICAL point of consideration THOUGH, that I presume to be helping on this occasion NAMELY:

A new bud is being initiated in the axil of a semisheating leaf (it forms but one half of a bulb scale at its basis). The VERY next leaf is emerging to the SAME side. If you watch carefully, the size array of a bunch of new leaves that it is just poking out of a bulb does generally reveal that two CONSECUTIVE leaves grow to the same side.
When [the fan of new leaves including] this semisheating leaf has fully grown up, THEN you can already discontinue further growing, by storing at a cooler location (perfectly 13°C) and reducing water supply as appropriate (and to zero if you remove the leaves respectively)

You will obtain the best flower presentation from bulbs that you do not "lift" (unpot) these. I obtained the most PERFECT results from mother bulbs with daughter bulbs attached, and replanted as a whole into a bigger container, for example with "Appleblossom" flowers with 30 cm in diameter, just EPIC. You will also have excellent results when you unpot and repot just immediately prior to forcing, provided that you do not damage the roots too much.

o

Hi, Hans, Thank you for your helpful (as always) information...My Graffiti's roots are already filling up the entire pot which it only 5" deep x 4" wide..there is still at least 3/4 to 1 inch of room around the bulb to the inside of the pot as can be seen in my picture. Would I be wise to leave it in it's current pot or move it to a larger pot now. The leaves are only 7" tall so it has a lot more leaf growing to do. The roots are showing at the bottom hole of the pot. I was going to re-pot it to a larger pot next summer, or should I do it now. Thanks, Your advice is always appreciated....!

Donna

o

Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 11:38

Graffiti's roots are already filling up the entire pot

Good to read this! This behaviour is fortunate and it reflects the genetic handwriting of H.papilio

IF Graffiti produces reliably 2 scapes and/OR 4 flowers per scape from mature bulbs, then I must absolutely obtain one specimen! All-the-more IF this beautiful hybrid is capable of producing numerous seeds - VIABLE seeds notabene!

o

Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 14:47

Re-plant it into a bigger container. The more you wait the more difficult will it become to pull the plant out, on the whole. Hippeastrums that start growing or are growing do not resent for becoming replanted, quite the opposite.

o

Will Do... Thanks, Donna

o

Hans,

My bulb had 3 blooms and I'm sure that 4 wouldn't be quite uncommon. It had the starts of a fourth bloom but it didn't quite fill out properly! I'm for sure going to hold onto this one as a breeding parent, we'll see how the seed comes along with the H. reticulatum var. striatifolium, hopefully It produces.

On another note, my pods on my selfed Hippeastrum reticulatum var. s. are about to pop! I'd say two to three more weeks and they'll be ready :)

Josh

o

Graffiti pics to share:

Flower with the RHS Color Chart
Photobucket
NOTE: Condition of the bulb, temps/lighting, feeding does affect flower color and shape.

Mature sized "Forced" bulbs can produce at least 2 scapes/bulb.
Photobucket

It does gives out 4 flowers/scape (average)
Photobucket

My Graffitis slept (no leaf growth) all through the summer months after blooming. But grew nice roots during those months. Once awake, they first grew nice "stumpy" leaves and finally leafed out nice well behaved compact leaves.
Photobucket

No seeds were produced this season from the Graffitis.
All attempts failed.

o

So..... that's common for them to sit all summer with no leaves.... plenty of roots though...and I worried all summer for nothing. Mine has also has sent out 6/7 luxurious leaves. I was really pleased with the color of mine and also the picotee was quite strong. Now if the shape of this year's blooms are like your and Josh's I'll be in seventh heaven...!and...mine is having a baby...!

Donna

o

This is a beautiful cultivar. I'll add a few of my photos. Mine have bloomed out more "lime" green than yellow. And, as Maria says, most have produced 2 scapes and more than 2 blooms per scape. It is a delightful little bloomer.

Jim

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Beautiful :)

I really want more now!

o

Simply beautiful...

Photobucket

o

I just love everyone's pictures!! Some of you seem to have many more than one....and the height of the stem.... Jim... are some of yours sitting on something or is the height that variable. I think this is just one of the prettiest little flowers. Well, I may only have one, but as I said mine is having a baby....and he/she may already be a proud Papa, only time will tell.....

Donna

o

Donna,
The height of mine is really variable. I have 2 pots of 3 bulbs and 2 pots of 2 bulbs. I did notice an odd feature of the growing scapes. Most (but not all) of the tallest scapes had 2 flowers. Those with more than 2 flowers had shorter stems. And, to further muddy the waters about Graffiti's growth habits, the tallest scapes were in windows with the greatest amount of direct sunlight!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here