Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubose98

Getting my collection for the winter!

edubose98
11 years ago

I recently bought some boxed amaryllis from wal-mart last week. I bought one each of the Red Lion, Minerva, and Apple Blossom. I havened potted the Apple blossom yet but will tonight. I also bought some boxed amaryllis kits of Gran Cru, Amigo, and Pink Diamond. They were a special edition benefiting breast cancer. I paid 7.98 a piece for them which I thought was a good deal considering the size bulbs they were. I will be adding several more. I ordered some from Edens blooms last night and then I went to Lowes today and I bought some boxed kits there for 5.98. I bought 2 Christmas Story, 1 Susan, and 1 Star of Holland.

Comments (42)

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Good for you!! Keep track of how many mislabels you get, will be interesting to see how many. The year before last they were rampant, last year not quite as bad...What ever they end up being though I know they'll be beautiful. There's nothing quite like blooming amaryllis to brighten up the holidays and the dreary days that lie ahead of winter..Be sure to post pictures, we all love to see other's pictures!!

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

I bought an amazing Grand Cru from Walmart years ago. Hmmm...will need to check out the local store's selection!
    K

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered 3 each of Temptation and Gervase today from Van Engelen. I wanted purple rain but they have already sold out of them.

11 years ago

Oh,Oh, another addict in the making.... ;-)

11 years ago

Congratultions on buying your first house!! How happy I would be if I could grow them in the ground all year..You'll have lots of fun as they tend to clump up nicely when grown in the ground. Make sure you get yourself some h. papilios, they clump up nicely and are so very beautiful...

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just placed me an order today from Royal Colors...I bought Exotic Nymph, Apricot Parfait, and Moscow. I sure am ready to put them in pots! I am thinking of placing an order with white flower farms so I can get Purple Rain since Van Engelen was sold out of them.

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan from lowes and two apple blossoms from home depot

Here is a link that might be useful: bulbs

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan from lowes and two apple blossoms from home depot.

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minerva standing tall

11 years ago

They're looking good, looking forward to seeing them when they bloom...

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I have more pics of amaryllis I have planted in pots from edens blooms, wal-mart, lowes, and home depot but they are not wanting to upload right when trying to upload them using my phone. Maybe I can work out the kinks.

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is my collection so far! I got a whole lot more coming from royal colors, van engleen, John scheepers, white flower farms and got a few more I haven't ordered just yet.

• holantina
    11 years ago

Looks like you are getting a lot of gorgeous flowers. Enjoy the beauty and happy (indoor) gardening!

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I am...I will be so exited when I have some blooms open up so I can pollinate them!

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Isn't this time of year sooo much fun???? Every time I visit any garden ctr. that has bulbs, I feel like a kid in a candy shop...and boy do I has a sweet tooth!!!

Fred

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know what u mean! I have ordered quite a few bulbs and now I am thinking about ordering more from some of the same companies that I just ordered from a few weeks ago! I am definitely like a fat kid in a candy store! I am gonna have to get a second job just to supply my addiction lol!

11 years ago

Hey Fred do you ever make it to Russell's Garden Center in Wayland?

Last year I made two trips there and ended up with over 30 bulbs I couldn't believe the selection they had. I will admit that quite a few were mislabeled but all were healthy and I only lost one..a Lima that I knew I shouldn't be buying but it was the only one left.

They had everything including many cybisters..and they also had a bulb labeled Ruby Meyer which I later learned was really Jungle Star..I didn't buy one!! ;-(

I thinking about when I should make my annual trek up there this year...but I'll call first since it's a long way for us...

Donna

11 years ago

Obviously Edubose you are most definitly addicted!

I see you have some more space on the top shelf of your shelf unit but I'm sure you'll fill that up soon!

Just be aware of one thing. You might want to hold off potting up a few of these bulbs as you'd probably like a few flowers later in the winter to cheer you up. Most of these new bulbs will most likely bloom sooner rather than later and then you'll be without flowers at a critical time in the later part of winter...horrors!! But of course you can always watch your seedpods grow..but a few flowers would be nice too in Feb...

Donna

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah donna I have caught the fever lol! I keep the top shelf for when the amaryllis bloom stalks are tall so I will put them up there to have enough room for the stalks to grow. But I have a whole lot more coming in the mail so I will be buying another shelf to put them on lol. I plan on being a bee and pollinate some of the blooms this winter. So I will be busy with them for a while.

11 years ago

Edubose, I have one request from you...when you start to post your pictures from all you lovely blooms (we all want to see them) would it be possible for you to upload them from your computer so they won't come through sideways? I know taking pictures with your phone makes this happen. What would happen it you took the picture sideways to begin with would they be straight when you post them or would they end up up side down...

Donna

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol yeah donna I know it is kinda aggravating. These are the first pics I posted on here and I was thinking I would try and take them side ways so they look straight. Just bare with me and I will figure it out lol. I plan on taking all kind of pics of them this winter. I so love this site! Since I have came across it a few weeks ago I can't stay off of it. I been going through a lot of the older post and reading them. Friends and family having been asking me what I am always reading on my phone cause I been staying on it a lot lately. Grin

11 years ago

It is nice to talk about your hobby with folks who share the same interest and don't think you're crazy isn't it..there are a few of us out there..from all over the world. Nice to have you on-board!!

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna yes it is very nice!

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Sorry it took a while to get back to ya. Oh yeah...Russell's is definitely on my radar and part of my stomping ground. So many times I just go in there in the middle of the winter to see something green and alive. I was actually thinking of hitting them up this Saturday after work. I usually go in there with my dog (mini dachshund) and we peruse around.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

11 years ago

Hi Fred,

Do they have their bulbs in yet? It's a long drive for us and I tried to call the other day but couldn't get anyone to answer the phone and I was concerned that they might have had some trouble after Sandy...
    I hope you left some bulbs for me... ;-)

Donna

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

I'll check this weekend and let you know. I promise to leave you some...lol.

Fred

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my bulbs from john scheepers and van engelen this week! Planting them up today! I had to go to wal-mart last night to buy me a new shelf to put them on! I am getting a good collection started! Is there any bulb company that yall love ordering from that I should give a try? I have done ordered from john scheepers, van engelen, white flower farms, edens blooms, and royal colors.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    11 years ago

Easy to Grow Bulbs also has some nice offerings. They are the same as Willowcreek.
    K

11 years ago

EasytoGrowBulbs is great to do business with. Of course one might get the occasional mislabel but they "most" always make it right. This of course is just my opinion...

If you do decide to order from them you should most definitly try a Ruby Star and Opal Star (being sold as Cherry Crush this year for some reason). They do have a great selection and the bulbs this year as always are very plump! We like plump bulbs!!

Donna

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kristi and donna ...I will check them out today!

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I checked out easytogrowbulbs and I just ordered:
    1. Cherry crush
    2. Lemon lime
    3. Ruby star
    4. Monte carlo
    5. Papillio butterfly (I want to see what all the fuss is about on this one. Heard it is interesting to hybernize with)

• lenanen
    11 years ago

Very nice, congratulations!

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

Just came back from Russell's and they have a pretty nice selection, but the usual suspects (nothing Earth shattering). I did pick up: Opal Star, Orange Sovereign and Full house, I think I got caught up in the moment. The bulbs are in good shape and @ $9.00 or so per bulb, not a bad deal.

I did also order 25 seeds of Dainty Peach and @ $4.00 I thought that was a good deal too. Depending on how many sprout, I'll be sharing them with the group. They looked really cute on the internet and I'm looking for the smaller growing (species like) hippies, so we'll see "said the blind man to his deaf wife".

Warm Regards and Good Growing,
    Fred

P.S. I just ordered a buncha' stuff from Glasshouse Works now I'm dyin' for them t'come in.

11 years ago

Fred,

Thanks for the info on Russell's perhaps we'll get up there sometime next week..even if I don't find any bulbs I "need" they usually have a good selection of terracotta pots (I use those) and it's always such a fun place to visit..

Donna

• Fred Biasella
    11 years ago

Hi Folks,

My latest CHAD...sigh. I didn't think I was gonna, but I did. Top left to right: Hercules, Amalfi, Klister (Supreme Garden), Tallahassee Red. The bottom is: Misty. The really well rooted ones are from the Johnstons (Ebay - Member id 850carol - Amaryllis Man) in Florida. Klister is from Rare Bulbs - Eden Blooms. Misty is from Moregravity.

Warm Regards,
    Fred

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is some that I have blooming now.

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lemon shorbert

11 years ago

My Lemon Sorbet bloomed in 2010 and it was really stunning but, it never bloomed again..it's still alive but I can't seem to make it happy. Hopefully, yours will do better than mine.

You've got some very pretty blooms there even if some were mislabeled! What is the double one?

Donna

This post was edited by dondeldux on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 15:05

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely blooms, everyone! Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm still getting over the NBF episode, but was very lucky to be recently gifted with a Minerva to replace the special one I lost...

{{gwi:54803}}

It's only just beginning to show a scape and a couple of leaf tips, so it'll be a while before actual blooms appear. I'm just so thrilled to have this bulb! It's a dream come true for me, after losing my oldest and dearest bulb, plus so many others, and not having the funds to replace them.

I admit, though, it's all my fault... I became too quickly enamored, then addicted to Amaryllids, and I think I might have expanded my collection way too large, and way too fast!

It's only been through the help and generosity of a few very dear friends that I've been able to enjoy such a wonderful hobby! And I want to make sure to thank those of you that have helped me one more time... though I can never really thank everyone enough!

It's a great hobby, really... and once you find the methodology that works for your own set of conditions, you're in business! I've learned so much... not only from sharing here with everyone, but also from others on various forums. I think maintaining a smaller collection is in the cards for me... as long as it contains at least one Minerva, my very favorite, no matter how common!

Keep the photos coming... they're all just so pretty! Even when we get a mislabel, it's still a chance to enjoy those glorious blooms!

• edubose98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks yall...I will put more pics up as soon as as I can take some. I have more blooms for yall to see!

Donna the double one is a Joker!