Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajsblu_eyes

Anyone interested?

ajsblu_eyes
13 years ago

Hi all,

I really would like to buy some Japanese Amaryllis and I believe a number of people on this forum do as well. Given how people cooperated to do the Australian order I wondered if anyone wanted to do a Japanese order. Now I do not really have experience importing bulbs from other countries but many here do. I have tried to email this Japanese company with no success the next step as I see it is to call or fax them but I dont speak Japanese. Do any of you speak Japanese?

Want to see what the Japanese have created? Here is the English version of their site. Here is the Japanese version they have more pictures so look through all of them (click the blue dots).

I found that a minimum overseas order is 20,000 Japanese Yen = 247.87 US Dollars and the corresponding phyto-certificate fee is 5,000 Japanese Yen = 61.97 US Dollars.

KOMORIYA NURSERY LTD.

1196 Ohkido-cho

Chiba-city Chiba 267-0057

JAPAN

Telephone (office): ++81-43-294-4387

Facsimile 81-43-294-8504

Fax: ++81-43-294-8504

E-mail: bulb@komoriya.co.jp

AJ

Comments (41)

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I'm interested!

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I just went through and looked and I am VERY interested, they've some of the best hybrids I've seen! How can we do this?

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the next step is finding someone who speaks Japanese to call the company but I'm open to other suggestions. I've tried the email and all my attempts were bounced back as unsent.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I sent them an E-mail as well,

I think Maria has several of their hybrids *I could be mistaken*, maybe she would have some answers?

Josh

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

While I have no interest in their Hippi hybrids they have many, many really rare hybrids of other things that I would love as well as some really unusual hybrids of Gloriosa. I tried contacting them multiple times over multiple years and even had a Japanese colleague contact them for me all with no success....I have heard the same thing from numerous other people so good luck.....I failed miserably.

However, it occurs to me as I write this that I have sold a ton of Rauhia as well as Worsleya seed to some people in Japan as well as some Hippi species seed so I think I am going to e-mail those guys back and see if maybe they could help me out with this company...worth a try :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

They sell a few Hippeastrum species as well, I would really like to get a hold of them myself!

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Hello all,

Like Dan, I have written to Komoriya several times and have never received any response. As I was telling Del, before reading this post, I even tried writing to the nursery in Japanese. God only knows what I mananaged to communicate.

If anyone is successful in making contact, I am definitely interested. I already have a Wish List prepared. So, go Dan go!!!

Cheers,

Blanca

• Carl
    13 years ago

I haven't looked through all of them yet but the very last ones, the species caught my interest.
    papilio, calyptratum, aulicum and three reticulatum forms ... also Yumemitai was on my "must-have-list".
    I don't know if it wouldn't be too much effort for me in germany to participate ... if not I'd like to very much.

Strange that they have their hybrid list in english when they don't answer to english emails.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I looked at the list and it seems they do not have near as many Brunsvigia crosses as they used to have...sort of disappointing!! I will try to remember to contact the couple of guys in Japan that I know and see what happens :o) Dan

• drgulley
    13 years ago

AJ,

I would probably be interested in a few as well. I wish I knew someone that spoke Japanese!

Dianne

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

i have some interests too!
    I had a nice source some years ago and have some japanese hybrids (a good friend did buy them in japan and sendet them to me), but i like to have some more. All my attempts, to come in contact with komoriya did fail too.
    Please let me know, if something is possible.
    If anybody is interested, i have a very limited number of seeds of Komos sunshine! {{gwi:418984}}
    Please send an email, if You are interested.
    Best regards
    Frank

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frank,

I love the picture Komos Sunshine, what other Japanese bulbs were you fortunate enough to acquire?

I'm glad others are interested maybe with a group effort we will have more success than we each are having alone. From the dates on the Komoriya site we still have time to order from the company, we have not yet approached the shipping season for Komoriya bulbs.

AJ

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I contacted Hiroshi and he said that the nursery is strictly wholesale and sell only to a limited number of buyers, but if we send him a list of what we want he will see if he can get the company to sell to us here in the US. So, I will leave it to someone to put together a list and send it on to me and I will see if I can help out.

In all honesty, I'm not sure they have any plants I want after looking a bit more. They used to have more intergeneric hybrids, but I do not see those now and as you all know, the hybrids of Hippis are not my thing.

By the way, the ones like H. aulicum, calyptratum and a couple others listed above can be easily obtained as seed from Mauro in Brasil as I have mentioned many times on here so check that out to make your life easier.

Have a good day all :o) Dan

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I'll volunteer to compile a list of what everyone wants.

To get an idea of price I looked at the site below, it looks like the bulbs on average were $31-$37 these were the only prices I could find. Here is a Japanese site where they order their bulbs

This is a listing of many varieties of Amaryllis, they have some better pictures of some Japanese hybrids. These pictures made me change some of my choices. List of amaryllis

AJ

• fishing_dentist
    13 years ago

AGS is much more expansive, than Komoriya himself and sells only countrywide in Japan!

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Dan, do you have a link for Mario in Brazil? Thanks!
    Tally HO!

• Carl
    13 years ago

Tally, this is his Website, but you can only order seeds. I'll be doing this on way or the other in the near future: http://brazilplants.com/

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Mauro's seed are very cheap, germinate at nearly 100% and are true to name.....way cheaper and easier than buying bulbs of these :o) Dan

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Frank,

Thanks for clarifying about AGS. I only was using the AGS site to get estimates for prices and made things more confusing sorry!

Let me clarify for the lists of amaryllis varieties. The Amaryllis pictured in the list are not all Japanese varieties but the list has some good pictures of some Japanese amaryllis.

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Has anyone heard anything back from anyone in Japan? I'm hoping so.

I'm not just talking about the species listed, the have things that aren't listed on their site. That is why I'd like to speak with them, we need an e-mail addy that actually works to communicate with them.

AJ, I'm going to get my list together but I really don't think this isn't a complete list on the site :(

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Read above....I have a person in Japan that will try to help us.....get a list together and I will try to help :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Dan,

I must have read past your post :) Thank you so much, that's very helpful!!! I've noticed several of their hybrid Hippeastrum appear to be F1. I will send my list to AJ?

Josh

• quail
    13 years ago

AJ, I sent you an email, too.
    Michelle

• blancawing
    13 years ago

AJ,

I am also preparing a list.

Thank you,

Blanca

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan,

Can your friend in Japan give us some idea of how much the bulbs will cost? The only prices I found were on the AGS website that sells some of the Komoriya bulbs.

Thanks,
    AJ

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

Hi AJ, Well, I can always ask and see what he says. I sent seed to two other enthusiasts in Japan so hopefully one of them has the right connections to help out :o) Dan

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan,

Thank you, all us hybrid enthusiasts greatly appreciate your help. :)

AJ

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Sent you my list AJ :)

I'm sure many of their hybrids are F1 generation at most, they've got some wonderful things :)

Josh

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh, & Michelle I have both of your lists. ;)

AJ

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok anyone else want to give me a list?

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

I wondered what happened with this thread :) We might want to hurry while it's still Hippeastrum season, they might only want to do this in the fall.

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

I heard from the guy in Japan and he said that this company will not even reply to him!!! How strange is that....this place must have all the business they need with their already established wholesalers in Japan. I can still pass the list along to the person I know in Japan as well as another person I know there from my science connections but it does not look very promising I have to say.....sorry if this has ended up being all for naught, but I will try :o) Dan

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan,

Thanks for letting us know what is going on. I believe a number of people are still interested in trying, but I have been asked again about pricing per bulb. Did your friend say anything about possible price estimates? Sorry for asking again.

AJ

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

AJ, since the owner will not get back to the person I know in Japan there is no way to get pricing. I'd say our only hope is that we send the list, the guy is impressed with the size of it and decides to sell to us via the wholesale route, but it does not look promising at this point. If we could get ahold of them to get prices I think we would have no problem getting the bulbs, unless of course they require an order in the 1,000+ bulb category and then it would be rather unlikely. Heck, I do not understand why they do not have a wholesaler in the US with the huge market there is for these things here in the US. I even asked if I could become a wholesaler a few years ago and did not hear back.....must be nice to have that much money that you do not need to sell more :o) Dan

• ajsblu_eyes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan,

Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse :)

Ok everyone,

If you want to get in on this order or change anything you've told me this is it. I'll send the list on to Dan shortly.

AJ

• blancawing
    13 years ago

Dear AJ and Dan,

First of all, I want to thank you both for your efforts to make this dream a reality. I am most grateful.

Secondly, AJ has my tentative Wish List. I say tentative because availability is an uncertain variable.

Regardless of Komoriya's unwillingness to respond to any of our attempts to communicate, I have committed to purchase at least 15 bulbs.

If Komoriya insists on a firm list, I will make one and provide an additional list of acceptable substitutes. Brunslycori (i.e., Brunsvigia orientalis x Lycoris sprengeri) has captured my attention.

I invite other interested GW members to join in this exciting adventure. If we persist, I believe that we will eventually succeed. Our goal may not come to fruition this year. However, delays in negotiation mean more time to save up funds to increase the size of our order.

Think back to how difficult it was to obtain South African Sonatinis just a few short years ago. AND next year we will have the glorious Thai Thai on our shores.

Miracles do happen every day!

Sincerely,

Blanca

• quail
    13 years ago

AJ, you should have an email from me for 2 bulbs (sent it earlier this evening). Michelle

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

My Recent e-mail from the guy I know in Japan:

Hi Dan,
    I tried to do contact again and again with Komoriya through his friend, but
    in vain.
    We'd better to give up.

Not looking good :o) Dan

• quail
    13 years ago

I wonder if we'd have more success getting in contact with them closer to when they start to ship. The English site says they ship their bulbs February to April. Perhaps if we're not successful now, we could try again closer to shipping time?
    Michelle

• bluebonsai101
    13 years ago

If we get them an order in Dec and they are willing by the time we go back and forth, they apply for the phyto permits etc we will be pretty close to Feb so this should not be the problem......still can't figure out why they do not want to have a wholesaler in the US :o) Dan

• joshy46013
    13 years ago

Veronica Read didn't seem to have any problems with them??? Is there anywhere that sells the bulbs outside of Japan?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions