Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dondeldux

aulicum from Telos Rare Bulbs

Hi,

Here is my h. aulicum from Telos Rare Bulbs that came just a few weeks ago. After I got my buggy bulb from Komoriya I felt I just had to have a good blooming one. Luckily I got one!

{{gwi:431194}}

{{gwi:431196}}

{{gwi:431197}}

{{gwi:431198}}

It appears to be a little different in appearance (sans the bugs) than the Komoriya bulb..being a lighter orange and the veining shows up more. Also in the throat there are slight markings where as the throat of the Komoriya one is solid green. Maybe it's just the conditions and they are the same variety but I don't know much about the different varieties.

Here you can see the difference in the color and possibly the throat.

{{gwi:431199}}

If they were both healthy then I don't know which one I would like better! I think I may have two seedpods on the buggy one...a little early to tell but they are slowly getting larger.

Thanks for looking...Donna

Comments (16)

• Tigrica
    10 years ago

It's beautiful!

• dragonstone
    10 years ago

Wow! Different shades of color, that's for sure!

• alan_oz
    10 years ago

Great photos Donna.

What model camera do you use?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alan,

It's just a Sony cyber -shot; 12.1 mega pixels and I actually have it turned down to 7.1 because the pictures are so large. It takes a better picture when it set on the 12.1. These days the pixels go sky high but just how many do you need for just amateur photography?? I have a couple of them as they are so easy to tote around they are several years old but still sell them on EBay. They use memory cards which you have to buy online these days but I save all my memory cards and have all my pictures saved from when I first went digital, just in case!! This camera doesn't have a very good zoom, I have a different camera which does but don't seem to use it much..

Thanks,

Donna

• salpal
    10 years ago

That is very nice Donna and I agree with Alan that the pics are nicely done too.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    10 years ago

I love the color and the veining!
    K

• mariava7
    10 years ago

It's pretty Donna! They both have their own charm.

• ben773
    10 years ago

Donna:
    Both very nice. But the veining of the Telos bulb looks more pronounced ie more contrast.
    Ben

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

".I can hope for 4 the next time around"

Of course, we can hope. Here are just auliÃÂum known fact that he has two flowers per stem: (

• oleg9grower
    10 years ago

error

This post was edited by oleg9grower on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 15:15

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a tray of seedlings from this aulicum (Telos) x papilio that are just about the only real success I've had this season in the pollinating department. So far I've had a few other seedpods that yielded some viable seeds but they don't seem to be vigorous like these are so I am quite pleased with these!!

Donna

• mariehass
    10 years ago

What a beautiful orange color!!!!

• jessiann63
    10 years ago

Wow Donna I love it. I just got an aulicum from telos about 2 weeks ago. I hope mine looks like yours when it flowers. Keep me posted on those seedlings. If they do well I might try A Papilio cross when mine fowers.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mine bloomed for me at the very end of Oct with the perfect color,just in time for Halloween! It took forever for the seedpods to ripen which I find is usually the case when papilio is in the cross. So that would make it around the middle of December when they ripened so these seedlings are only 4 1/2 months old and they already have their 3rd leaf. I will admit that I germinated these immediately and about 2 months later I did a few more seeds but the seeds that I started initially did much better than the seeds that were a few months old. Those continue to struggle while the first ones are jobbing out. I gave half of the seeds to the generous poster who send me some of her frozen papilio pollen otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make this cross!

Donna

You might want to freeze some papilio pollen if you have the opportunity since I believe that aulicum is naturally a fall bloomer.

• jessiann63
    10 years ago

Donna,

My first papilio bulb refused to rebloom so I got a new one this year. It only made two flowers but whatever pollen it made is in the freezer. I was saving some for my Johnsonii. They are planted in the ground so they bloom later than everyone else. I will make sure to save some for October to put on Aulicum.

Louana

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions