Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting

Posted by weldontx z 8a TX (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 16:56

I KNOW this has probably been asked a thousand times, but being new to this site AND to amaryllis, I'll ask. I got some amaryllisss (or is that amaryllii) that have been in their pots for some time. I would like to repot and get them into some better soil. Will need sort of a step by step guideline, if you don't mind. The plants are still very green but not putting on any new grown. They did bloom in the spring.
I now have a planter FULL of seedlings from a cross that I made. Will these be OK to stay outside in the planter for the winter? I"m in zone 8a north of Ft. Worth, TX.

Thanks for any comment you care to make.
Weldon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting

Hi Weldon. Read the FAQ message - DO NOT REPLY TO IT - and that should give you lots of basic information on repotting and splitting the offsets from the mother bulb, if that's what you want to do.

"They" say that you can grow amaryllis outside up near Dallas all year, but your seedlings will be very susceptable to cold and freezing. Be sure and mulch your mature bulbs very heavily. If it were me (and I live in Spring, TX) I'd bring them in onto a porch or offer them some protection. I overwinter mine in a greenhouse that never goes below 45...others sit on the enclosed porch, and seedlings live inside under lights until they are at least 1 year old.

Read the FAQ and that will give you some tips on pot size etc. If your plants are doing well....you might wait until they go dormant to repot them...otherwise, you are bound to have lots of leaf breakage, etc. Just easier too!
Kristi

o

Thanks, Kristi. My amaryllis have always been kept protected during the winter (I got them at mature size a year ago). I will have a protected porch for them to stay on and a heated shop with lights where the seedlings can stay at about 50 degrees on the coldest days. The lights are on timers -- 16 hrs on, 8 off. But can change that if less light is needed. However, I do start a lot of seedlings starting in Dec.
Your reply is really appreciated.
Weldon

o

Weldon we all do things slightly different. My seedlings get 15 on/9 off, only because that lets me sleep in a dark room!

If yours are thriving for you, you must be caring for them well!
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here