Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Something to think about....a little morbid

This is something to think about....a bit off topic, but I don't know if it ever came up.

If something were to happen to me tomorrow, would my family know what I wouldÃÂ want done with my collection of beloved Hippeastrums?

This is something to think about....This came up because a friend passed recently and she was a very talented knitter;ÃÂ she had lots of special yarn and materials. Her sister threw everything away becauseÃÂ she didn't know what to do with it. Something similar happened to a quilter I knew.ÃÂ

I hate to be morbid, but would your family know if you wanted to donate all of yourÃÂ plants to the local botanical garden, high school 4H group, special friends, etc.?ÃÂ

I am redoing my will and, although my amaryllis are not currently mentioned, I thinkÃÂ I'll include something to allow my executor to pick some out and then distribute the othersÃÂ per a set plan.ÃÂ

Sometimes our passion can be a burden to those left behind. It's important thatÃÂ something as important to each of us, as our Hippeastrum collections no doubt are,ÃÂ be taken care of when we can no longer do so.

Kristi

ÃÂ

Comments (14)

• houstonpat
    9 years ago

That is a Very Valid question. One of my rarest bulbs came from the dump in San Diego. I can only imagine its previous owner passed away and whom ever ended up with the property had no clue. We lost an avid collector in the Fern Society a few years ago. Fortunately his wife contacted the President of the club and his collection was dispatched to the greenhouses of a couple members. My family would do the same for me if I got smacked by a truck some day.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pat, guess it's always good to get to know others locally with the same passion. In H-town I guess I have a couple good hippi pals I know I could count on. I will make sure you're the main contact on my list.
    Stay well my friend,
    K

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I feel that way about my cat and my chickens. I want them to get good homes. It's not in my will. Can I just attach a paper to my will and state my desires? My family is up north, so we chose our neighbor as the executor of or will.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Certainly you should consider things like your hobbies. Whether it is plants, model kits, dioramas or even Pokemon toys, if you have a specific way of how they should be divided out or disposed or or given away, it's certainly good to mention it in the will, as well as to someone in your family/friends who knows about this part of the will.

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

I guess I'll just send all mine to you Kristi.
    Maida

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Somehow I did not think about the future. I have a wife and a daughter, wife loves hippeastrums. I guess I'll leave them. Practicing rules: trouble have to worry as they become available.

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

I highly suspect that once I'm gone, it will hardly matter... but... it might be nice to mention to them that if any of my family members would want anything from my gardening collection, they will be free to share it among themselves.

Worldly goods don't rate very high with me, except for the time and effort I have put into my plants, and the enjoyment I have received in exchange. I think it prudent to ensure everyone knows what they will want before I pass from this world, and should I become that ill, make sure they have it ahead of time, or know it's theirs when that time comes, so there's no confusion.

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Kristi,
    I think that you simply autumn depression together
    with the disease. Do not worry, it will pass and everything will be fine! Everything is relative. For example, I get a month less than $ 100, and yet I was able to gather a good collection hippeastrum, I hope. And I should also have to help my daughter, and myself live on any means necessary.
    That's interesting to me how much interest banks in your country charge you for the loan? We have no less than 25%, but this is just the tip of the iceberg, in fact no less than 300%!
    That such things...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oleg,
    I am not sure how interest on a loan came into the discussion.

When I am gone, in 30 years or more (I hope), it won't matter to me what happens to my collection. I just hope to make it easier for the person who must attend to such matters.

I am not depressed....far from it. At this moment I am at a holiday market speaking on how to grow Hippeastrum for the holidays, and incorporate them in into the garden in the spring time. I was just thinking about how I can ensure that others can enjoy my bulbs when I am gone.

Kristi

• oleg9grower
    9 years ago

Kristi,
    I mean too much imagined, I apologize. But moved me the desire to help you.
    With regard to bank interest on the loan, when earnings are very low, we have to borrow money in the bank - for example, in special circumstances. I heard that the US bank takes only 3%, whereas we have 25%, but this is not true. 2 years ago my brother died, and to bury him, I had to borrow money in the bank. I pay this loan was very difficult, because it turned out that we had to pay the sum of three times more than I borrowed.
    Oleg

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dear Oleg,

I'm sorry about your brother. It's robbery to charge that much for a loan! To borrow money to buy a car, it's often 0% from the car dealer, or maybe 1.9% on a sale day. Banks charge more of course. Credit card companies charge 20%+ interest each year if you don't pay off your balance. 300% is what a "loan shark" would charge...I can't even imagine!

On a nicer note, I was at a local church's "Autumn Festival", sitting at a table with various bulbs, and it was so much fun to hear stories today from families and how amaryllis were a part of the family. There was the one woman who just knew her evil sister-in-law had gone to her grandmother's house to dig up the heirloom Amaryllis from the flower bed after the funeral. Apparently, when other family members went to the home to dig the bulbs up for their own use, they were all gone! And another story between a mother and a daughter who were standing right in front of me; the mother had given the daughter her amaryllis bulbs because she was moving, and the daughter loved them so much that she said, ..."you're not getting them back!" Poor mom had to find a couple new bulbs, which her daughter referred to as the "new mothership"! It made me laugh!!

Several children were getting a single amaryllis bulb to take care of, until they can be planted into the garden in the spring. It's almost like they were selecting a new pet!

A troop of Daisy (Girl Scouts) were given hyacinth bulbs to learn about bulbs. They invited me to come talk to them at a meeting in April....how old are they...6 years?? I'll make little Hippie addicts out of them and/or their mothers!!

One woman bought some paper whites to force in her mother-in-law's room at the nursing home. For those that don't liked the scent...I know what you're thinking!! And two friends bought some assorted spring bulbs to plant up in pots so they'd have matching spring bulb bowls!

It was a GREAT DAY!! I'm tired, but I love getting people excited about Hippeastrum!

Stay well!!
    Kristi

• Ray Schuck
    9 years ago

Hi Kristi,
    I went to Another Place In Time in the Heights and found four amaryllis that I did not have. No world beaters, but I bought Bouquet, Oalf, Maria Goetti and Fantastica. They had many other varieties, but I already had them.. The bulbs were good size and in very good shape.
    Maida

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for being an enabler Maida!!

K

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Death should neither be depressing nor morbid... it's inevitable. We all have to face mortality at some point, so there's no reason not to think about it and that which surrounds it.

I'm not afraid of dying... if there were anything to fear, it wouldn't happen to everyone. No one escapes it, therefore, it's just the next step in the cycle. Nothing more, nothing less. I guess I'll find out what happens next when I get there.

In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with wanting one's affairs in order beforehand. In my case, it would be prudent to ask my family if they want anything, and ensure they have it before that time comes. I'm getting older, and there's not much of material value that I need anymore... just what I need for day to day life.

I hope at least one of my daughters keeps an interest in growing things... or maybe my grandkids will show an interest in learning more. I'd love to teach them.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks