Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Amaryllis Bulbs never died...what do I do with them?

edlincoln
10 years ago

First, don't flame me bro. Serious Amaryllis fans will probably have a heart attack.

Context: My Mom has never had much luck getting Amaryllis to bloom a second time. They don't survive outside here, there are issues with finding a spot in the house they get enough light, storage issues, etc. We have an unheated sunroom/greenhouse that never quite gets below freezing...but gets cold enough to use as a fridge on Thanksgiving. That is where houseplants go to die.

We dumped some big potted bulbs there last year...Amaryllis I think, but I'm not sure. I just visited and noticed they each had two tall leaves. I'm unsure if they have ever been dormant (possibly they were February of last year?) and even unsure of the species (but I think Amaryllis)

What do I do with them? Ideally I'd want them to bloom for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but I'd be happy with getting any second bloom out of them. The Sunroom is just getting cold for the year...do I cut off the leaves and leave them there until Thanksgiving to induce dormancy? Do I bring them in where it is warm? For the last year they've been sitting in a corner where they get a lot of sun, watered maybe once a week, and for several months of that they were exposed to temperatures that ranged from 98F to maybe 38F. So I have no idea if they went through dormancy...which is the confusing part.

Comments (5)

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

Mine don't die in the unheated sunroom and we also use it as a fridge, their activity certainly slows to a grind when it is cold though.

Not sure if that constitutes dormancy though. To induce dormancy would take about 2 months i think and i don't think that would be enough to make them bloom by xmas.

I'd personally just take them in and put on a windowsill where they get some light and let them flower when they feel like it.

• rgebczynski
    10 years ago

I had a problem with forcing my plants into dormancy this year, it was my first time to have them do so ever so it was a bit tricky. Of course everyone says to stop watering them at some point and leave the leaves to dry out... but that didn't work out for me. I did so in the beginig of August and on the 1st of September the leaves were still beautiful and green, i waited a bit more and still nothing happened.

I have decided to do some research and many people suggested that i should cut half od the lenght of the leaves and they should then automaticaly dry out within 3 - 4 days and the bulb should begin dormancy.

So it was, I actually think in my home environment the drying out period should be shorter and take up to 3 - 4 weeks maks and then forcing the dormancy by cutting the leaves - as I will know to do this next year.

Right now I am trying to restart the bulbs and it is working pretty well. Though I am not happy as many of the gigantic bulbs I had at the begining of the year are now just the size of a golf ball.

• edlincoln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My problem is I'm not sure if these were ever dormant before. Would they have gone dormant last February when they were exposed to temps in the upper 30s and sporadic watering, but had plenty of light? If I let them do what they want, when would they decide to bloom? They last bloomed last December. I'm not sure if I should be moving them to heat or cutting off the leaves and moving them to a dark place.

• AuntJemima
    10 years ago

rg: I tried witholding water before but that didn't work as it just used up the reserves in the bulb and stayed green!

Did you give your bulbs plenty of sun and fertilize during the summer? Mines recovered some of their size but not to the extent that they were the same as the original size.

edlin: Let them bloom when they feel like and they should bloom around spring if they have scapes ready within them. Those scapes would have been from the development phase 12-18 months before. The dormancy thing just induces them to send them up.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

OK - now I'm thinking I should just cut off the leaves of my bulbs that don't seem to want to go dormant. Is that right? They are in paper bags in the cool basement with no soil but are still growing new leaves.

Sponsored
More Discussions